@_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I can't help feeling you need to bracket at least one of those exclamation marks.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Jesus Christ.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I often wonder who's more silly, those that interpret a book as literal in order to praise and follow it or those that do the same in order to bash it

religion != faith

God is real even if only as a fiction created by man

Real and fiction in that sentence being abused. ;)

I almost agree with the first part. It gets at the low hanging fruit thing that jrpc said. But see my follow up. If, under the clever language, more sophisticated theology doesn't get past the problems with the low hanging fruit it's fair game.

@mc: your diseased meats analogy works to a point. However, on balance, I'm of the opinion it does matter how people come to believe things. Being right by accident is not great. IMO etc.

Meanwhile, SG doing jrpcs work for him. Not even fellow non-theists in this thread want to co-sign, and there's nothing to engage with, except that you're abusing the word fact when you say it's a fact god doesn't exist.

Also banging on about Adam and eve in response to a non Christian theist's posts about an atheist podcast is also a bit sloppy.

Anyhoo.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I don't really care about religion but smug atheists really get my goat.

My own view is that life for most is a giant fucking pain in the ass. perpetually cheesegrating and haranguing with glee god believers because of something that helps them feel better is kind of horrid.

While the meat thing is irrelevant in this day and age I'm unconvinced that a natural society or cool things would have happened to without the belief that there was some ideal thing compelling us not to behav like lions or gorillas or other beasts.

• I'd argue that the same sex marriage debate out here pretty much highlights the relative harms and issues pretty well. Let's not throw legitimate atheist activism and criticism against the religious foundations of every anti ssm argument out with SG style asshatery.

Irrational belief can do real harm and should be challenged.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    I'd argue that the same sex marriage debate out here pretty much highlights the relative harms and issues pretty well. Let's not throw legitimate atheist activism and criticism against the religious foundations of every anti ssm argument out with SG style asshatery.

Irrational belief can do real harm and should be challenged.

Would agree, but it's recognising where is doing real harm, which takes it beyond a theistic/atheistic point, people can have irrational beliefs in rational things
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Facewon wrote:
    I'd argue that the same sex marriage debate out here pretty much highlights the relative harms and issues pretty well. Let's not throw legitimate atheist activism and criticism against the religious foundations of every anti ssm argument out with SG style asshatery. Irrational belief can do real harm and should be challenged.

The trick is to play the ball, not the man, and make the person who has lost the contest understand how it was a legitimate play.

Often people conflate criticism of ideas with criticism of the people who hold them. Wars have been started for less.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Florida governor Rick Scott told NBC: “The most important thing is to pray for us.”

Yes, that is literally the most important thing.
  • https://www.quilliaminternational.com/press-release-maajid-nawaz-wins-legal-battle-against-thomson-reuters-world-check/

Ffs. It's not hard to be a bit careful is it? Southern poverty law centre etc should know better.
  • https://www.patheos.com/blogs/standingonmyhead/2018/12/yes-jesus-really-existed-and-he-was-born-on-december-25.html

Don't really need to re-litigate this, but I find the tone of this article kinda funny.

Mainly because it casually mentions angels as part of its list of facts and dates.

I'll trust you that the kid was conceived 9 months before whatever date you want, it's the angels and the virginity that's tricky.

Lol.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Thread resurrection proof of existence of god amen
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Petey clearly ticked a box he wasn't meant to with me.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    St Petey?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I've found God

of War a bit underwhelming, so far.
  • Only for semi public consumption, so I'll spoiler. (it's in the local Anglican paper, but not anywhere online.)

my mum wrote a thing about Israel Falou. 
    Spoiler:
  • Face's mum makes a very thoughtful argument. It really hinges on one point though:
    This is not a consequence of “so-called free speech or freedom of religion” any member of the church can choose to ignore. 
    There are lessons here for the church at large to learn. The church has frequently been willing to express views in the name of the faith that have been highly damaging to people.

To me this is the crux of the debate, and one the political class seem incapable of holding in good faith. They would do well to remember this in particular:
    Christ died for the well-being of all; not just some. When Christ died on the cross, he took into God’s self all the suffering and pain of the world so that everyone, without exception, might be set free and not have to carry such burdens alone.

I sincerely doubt that the evangelical politicians (or extremists, by the non-hyperbolic definition of the term) will see this argument. Christian exceptionalism has always been a cudgel for them to use against others, and will continue to be so as long as they convince themselves they are victims. The primary problem is that they see legitimate criticism of their discriminatory practices as attacking them.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Good piece of writing, that.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That primary problem is unfortunately inherent with identity. If I define myself my breakfast, then if someone slates eggs I'm always going to take it personally because it's my identity not just a meal. I never really noticed racism until I realised I wasn't white

edit: But yeah, nice piece Momma Face
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Also, when I typed in 'God' on the forum search bar it said "no results found".
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Search within not without
  • https://twitter.com/NiceMangos/status/1167062572681482242?s=19

Could go in a number of threads, but wow, worth digging through these tweets.

Ex Muslim woman who's gone full IDW. Making direct analogy between moderate Islam and extreme Islam and moderate nazism and extreme nazism.

I mean I would have added in some supposeds and some scare quotes to that, but where to put them?

Fucking hell. And of course all co-signed by ya boy Sam.

Just wow.
  • Holy shit, that first tweet. It's OK to defend the kkk now?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Just the moderate ones, they don't hang people.

Keep up.
  • I read further and... Is she actually equating nazis to a religious belief or am I reading that wrong? Only the most extreme nazis are a problem?

Fuck this planet..
    SFV - reddave360
  • I'm still great and you still love it.
  • The guy is a moron clearly but it isnt the end of his world. It is however probably the end of that relationship, there is a clear lack of respect and communication which seems to be stemming from him.

Morons be morons.

I'm not even sure it is a religious thing, although obviously based in that. Could be a family of hunters and a vegan. Left wing/right wing. The lad is a state.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahahahahaha, fucking numpty, that's brilliant

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!