Je Suis Charlie
  • Read a good piece about that Fry quote being misued a touch. I like the quote, and think I've listened to the podo it came from, but see other posts up in here for the counter.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Funny how people used to think globalisation was great because it seemed to be one way - all our nice ideas of free markets and coca cola were foisted on those who should have been grateful to get them. Now that it's clear it's a two way flow and we might be getting some of that foisting now, we're not too keen any more. Fact is the world is changing and we're going to have to think about our ideas, principles and how we look at that world, because it ain't going away any time soon.
  • The McRib is back though, so not all bad.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    @Swirl, the Sacco cartoon isn't arguing that what these nutjobs did was right or even justifiable, but rather reminding us that we do, as a society, seem to value the freedom to offend Muslims more greatly than the freedom to offend other groups, and that this attack didn't happen in a vacuum. Of course people shouldn't be able to censor public speech just because they're offended by it, but ignoring the wider context surrounding the group that you're offending with your speech is at best insensitive.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    @Swirl, the Sacco cartoon isn't arguing that what these nutjobs did was right or even justifiable, but rather reminding us that we do, as a society, seem to value the freedom to offend Muslims more greatly than the freedom to offend other groups, and that this attack didn't happen in a vacuum. Of course people shouldn't be able to censor public speech just because they're offended by it, but ignoring the wider context surrounding the group that you're offending with your speech is at best insensitive.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, terrorists just pop up out of nowhere, nothing to do with any of the history of the last 100 years. No siree bob. No use pointing fingers or anything, now is not the time etc etc etc
  • Kow wrote:
    Funny how people used to think globalisation was great because it seemed to be one way - all our nice ideas of free markets and coca cola were foisted on those who should have been grateful to get them. Now that it's clear it's a two way flow and we might be getting some of that foisting now, we're not too keen any more. Fact is the world is changing and we're going to have to think about our ideas, principles and how we look at that world, because it ain't going away any time soon.

Always get reminded of that when either watching the West Wing, or, funnily enough, listening to Killer Mike on a podo yesterday. There's a lot of foundational ideas taken for granted in the dialogue in the West Wing, and even more so in some of the stuff Mike was saying, I always find it interesting. Mike, for all his discussion of the french revolution and quoting chompsky, was still all for making change via what effectively amounted to trickle down economics, and he made a really weird statement about being impressed by someone being able to buy nice things.

I see it here all the time too. Very easy to think that our own reality, societal circumstances/norms are intractable brute facts that have always been thus.

• @dante, reckon it's a fair point and you'd need to make a case.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Very easy to think that our own reality, societal circumstances/norms are intractable brute facts that have always been thus.
    I used to hang my head when looking at the opposing voices in America during the Bush years were just arguing within the boundaries set by the Bush PR machine. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head. These people weren't stupid but I think it was easier for me to spot from the outside.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's actually very hard to really see that your world is an entirely subjective creation and its rules, fundamentals and pillars are in no way universal. It's easy to discuss but very difficult to genuinely see without spending a lot of time in other places.
  • Fair enough.

I would suggest that Muslims are no more under fire than any other group considered 'other' to the UK. Romany and Eastern Europeans are certainly two groups who many have been more than happy to offend over the last decade or so. If anything, from my limited experiance, there is far more acceptance of Muslims than there is Romany people in this country.

There is a fairly long history of comedy in this country offending Christianity, especially the Catholic Church as well.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Where are these Romany cartoons then?
  • Kow wrote:
    Where are these Romany cartoons then?

article-0-056622D7000005DC-492_468x286.jpg
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Where is that from?
  • Big Fat Gippo Benefit Sponging Scummers Wedding or whatever it's called on C4. Basically one long cartoon.
  • Kow wrote:
    Where is that from?

It's from a British newspaper. I suspect you can now guess which one.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's still not as bad as this one, published just after over a thousand Muslims had been killed in Egypt.
    coran-merde-charlie-hebdo-karim-achoui-balles.jpg
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's pushing things to describe it as satire. Or any kind of commentary for that matter.
  • No. But my point wasn't limited to cartoons.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What people think or feel in their private lives is their own business. What a public institution or publication or whatever does is a different matter. There's also a difference between being critical and just trying to provoke and offend. In fact the Romany cartoon can be seen as at least being critical of something which a lot of people get annoyed about.
  • Kow wrote:
    It's actually very hard to really see that your world is an entirely subjective creation and its rules, fundamentals and pillars are in no way universal. It's easy to discuss but very difficult to genuinely see without spending a lot of time in other places.

Amen. I hope my post wasn't sounding like a "those dumb american's and their gun culture" post.

• lowercase with a random apostrpohe. go me.
  • I was talking about publications, newspapers specifically. They feature more than cartoons no?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've rarely seen a newspaper article that can be pure insult with no point or idea to put forward. In fact the newspapers are full of articles which are critical of Islam, but with no forthcoming death threats.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    A selection of articles that should go some way to clarifying the Charlie Hebdo “problem”:

Robert Crumb in the New York Observer.
    Charlie Hebdo, they print so many insulting cartoons about Muslim extremists, you know, geez, they just kept at it, you know…but that wasn’t the only people they insulted, they insulted everybody. The Pope, the President of the country, everybody! They were merciless, to everybody. It was a really funny magazine. They just didn’t hold back towards anybody. You know, they didn’t let anybody off the hook, which was good.

Dear US Followers, a blog post by a French person explaining the misconceptions around the Charlie Hebdo magazine.
    I read everywhere that Charlie Hebdo was a racist journal, that they had it coming.
    1. It was not. NO ONE, I repeat literally NO ONE in France ever considered Charlie Hebdo as racist. We might have considered the drawings tasteless, but NOT racists. For the very simple reason that WE FUCKING KNOW OUR POLITICS. So, when you see the covers of the journal out of context and without understanding french, you’re seeing maybe 10% of what there’s to see.
    On Charlie Hedbdo - another blog post by a French writer, on French history, French politics, and French philosophy.
    (W)e do not conflate religion and race. We are the country of Voltaire and Diderot: religion is fair game. Atheists can point out its ridicules, and believers have to learn to take a joke and a pun. They are welcome to drown us in return with sermons about the superficiality of our materialistic, hedonistic lifestyles. I like it that way. Of course, the day when everybody confuses “Arab” with “Muslim” and “Muslim” with “fundamentalist”, then any criticism of the latter will backfire on the former. That is why we must keep the distinctions clear.  (…)
    Few people even know today that there was a period, beginning in the mid-ninetieth century to the mid-twentieth century, called the Nadha (Rebirth, or Renaissance), which saw a wide-ranging process of secularisation from Morocco to Turkey. Few people care to remember that, in the 1950s and 60s, women wearing the veil were a small minority in Tunis, Algiers and even Cairo. This does not mean that they were not Muslims, mind you. Just as in the West, where a lot of Christian girls started having sex before marriage or taking the pill, principles were evolving, with some inevitable tensions. (…)

It is on the ashes of the Nadha that fundamentalism as we know it emerged. I say “emerged”, because we should not be fooled by the fundamentalists who claim to restore Islam in its original purity. The ideology they promote – literal, violent, legalistic, narrow-minded, other-worldly – is a radical novelty in the history of Islam. It is the dramatic perversion of a culture. (…)

(W)e are all aware of the fact that the attack on Charlie Hebdo will be exploited by the Far right, and that our government will use it as an opportunity to create a false unanimity within a deeply divided society. (…) We are all trying to find the narrow path – defending the Republic against the twin threats of fundamentalism and fascism (and fundamentalism is a form of fascism). But I still believe that the best way to do this is to fight for our Republican ideals. Equality is meaningless in times of austerity. Liberty is but hypocrisy when elements of the French population are being routinely discriminated. But fraternity is lost when religion trumps politics as the structuring principle of a society. Charlie Hebdo promoted equality, liberty and fraternity – they were part of the solution, not the problem.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fair enough. I would suggest that Muslims are no more under fire than any other group considered 'other' to the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-30438511
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    And @Swirl, the idea of attacking all groups as justification for attacking a marginalised one is fairly weak IMO, attacking a minority is always different from attacking the majority, no matter who else you target.

But furthermore, by printing (or reprinting) cartoons that are known to cause offence to a large number of people, there is a risk of driving further schisms in society. I'm certainly not saying that people shouldn't have the right to criticise Islam or any other religion, but that should be done in a very careful manner, especially if you're coming from a position of great privilege. The fact is, those cartoons will be seen all over the world, by many people who are already convinced that the West has it in for them, so you should think very carefully about what they contain.

The right to free speech doesn't come without responsibilities.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    rushdie_respect_zps19dbb962.jpg Source.
    Yossarian wrote:
    But furthermore, by printing (or reprinting) cartoons that are known to cause offence to a large number of people, there is a risk of driving further schisms in society. I'm certainly not saying that people shouldn't have the right to criticise Islam or any other religion, but that should be done in a very careful manner, especially if you're coming from a position of great privilege. (...) The right to free speech doesn't come without responsibilities.

Mostly agreed. You may want to read the articles I posted, they'll help clarify what's going on. CH were not "attacking" Islam any more than they were "attacking" the Pope, racist political parties, or the left - all of which have also been targets for their satire.

As a thought experiment, would we be tripping over ourselves quite as much to defend the murderers if the cartoons were of Lord Xenu and the killers members of Scientology?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Some of the other people murdered my islamic extremists were quite careful in their criticism. If Hebbo swapped a few mohammed cartoons for some pope jokes I don't think there would've been a different result.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Mostly agreed. You may want to read the articles I posted, they'll help clarify what's going on. CH were not "attacking" Islam any more than they were "attacking" the Pope, racist political parties, or the left - all of which have also been targets for their satire.

I think many people would have seen publishing pictures of Mohamed as an attack on their beliefs.
    As a thought experiment, would we be tripping over ourselves quite as much to defend the murderers if the cartoons were of Lord Xenu and the killers members of Scientology?

But they weren't. They were members of a group of people, some of whom have been jailed for years without charge by America, many more of whom have been killed by wars started by the West and many of whom get regularly stopped and questioned at airports purely on the basis of the fact that their name marks them out as a member of this group.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!