Edge Online is finally dead
  • I'll admit, it took a really long time to find a bunch of people that aren't just attention seekers.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I now want Shatner to do a bunch of Lets Plays.
  • There's a handful of things I'll watch but I am yet to be convinced it's a replacement for reading articles. I don't really mind that a youtuber can go more in-depth or I can cross source plural opinions from them and metacritic, reading an authored piece by a person I like is something I still enjoy. Edge lost that core voice, but I still think people just brush them off to quickly these days. Haven't found much of a replacement in any medium, even web writing, although I am a Luddite as I don't think I've ever touched a podcast either.

For me it'll always come back to the lack of an Ebert for games. I came to him relatively late in the day but I didn't need to check a metacritic* rating of a film he's given 4 stars or 1 star to guage if I'd want to see it. I guess youtubers are reaching that point, people use The Top Hop One and The Fedora One in a similar way to Ebert, but they're still relatively fresh faced. And they have dumb voices do there is that. I never had to listen to Ebert, probably for the best.

*In fact fuck metacritic in its entirety, it's such a shit, shit thing. Who cares if a game has a metacritic of 90, unless you care about the opinion of 3Djuegos et al
  • Wisdom of crowds.

Ebert gave Starship Troopers 2 stars so there's that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I far prefer to get info (for pretty much everything) from reading than videos or even podcasts. I like to go at my own speed, not someone else's.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hey what is up Tempy, I haaave a new post for you guys today, you've all been asking for me to do a new post to Tempy so here we goooo
    Spoiler:
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Wisdom of clicks chasing crowds.
  • There's little I hate more in this world than you tube videos of people playing games. I am forever being forced to endure some muppet give his inane opinion on something, or listen to someone narrate their game play, couldn't care less about any of it. Give me an article any day of the week.
  • But yeah, toobers don't completely replace what I used to get from Edge but they do a much better job at some other things than Edge ever could. I paid good money, release day money, for games that I should've liked judging by the review. 10 mins watching the right people on YouTube would've made it clear that it wasn't my kind of thing.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Wisdom of crowds.

Ebert gave Starship Troopers 2 stars so there's that.

Yeah but he gave it 2 stars in the context of 30 odd years of reviewing things. I don't need his opinion to be in line with mine, I just want to know what he thought to reach that justification.

More often than not I'd at least agree with how he reached his conclusions, even if I didn't agree with his end result.

Wisdom from crowds scuppers that, and makes once useful resources like the IMDB top 250 a total waste of time.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    This game is boolshet, these fuckin' controls are terrible, the design is fucking TERRRible, hyuh hyuh hyuh
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • IMDB doesn't work but RottenTomatoes does. Ebert gave RoboCop a good score so it's not even like I could work out that he doesn't like futuristic social commentary that looks all fascist and shit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The advantage of youtube reviews is of course seeing game footage but also because you may find that it isn't filtered out in work. (We have the "games" filter in place).

Few people do a good video review simply because many think they can do it on the hoof with no planning - and they also don't seem to realise that a description of the game, while useful, isn't actually a review.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    There's little I hate more in this world than you tube videos of people playing games. I am forever being forced to endure some muppet give his inane opinion on something, or listen to someone narrate their game play, couldn't care less about any of it. Give me an article any day of the week.

I have to agree with this. I was looking at the store page for Resident Evil last night and it had some Twitch feeds going, anyway, somehow I ended up on Twitch. I couldn't believe the amount of people STARVED for attention on this thing. There are literally thousands of channels of people playing games, most with 0 views. People just sitting there, hoping they collect some views and become relevant on the internet.

I wish they'd fuck off with all this stuff, when did we all become so pathetic?
  • I think RT is a pile of wank as well, I'm just not interested in people I have no investment with adding their 10pence. It'd be like canvassing opinions from folk on the street and weighing them against your trusted friend's thoughts.

The whole Ebert thing is analogous to me asking H what he thinks about something, it has weight that just browsing 50 random opinions doesn't, plus I know his nuances - he dislikes Edgar Wright immensely - this same line of thinking works with Kermode too, I'd take any if those over a 'fresh' rating any day, because who are 90% of those momos and why should I care?
  • It absolutely depends on the 'presenter', for lack of a better word, as well. The video thing Brooks linked to of Hatoful Boyfriend had a fairly good delivery, and it was clear the guy had actually played it before and was giving considered opinions on the gameplay, the graphics, the style, etc. A lot of videos I see are people just jibbering over one of their first play throughs and it's word vomit.

There's little of any editorial work being done either, it's just some rando and their inane opinion waffling on and on. For the most part I just hate people though, so I dunno if any video would get my interest.
  • We've always been that pathetic. There was just no outlet for it until recently.

Letting a thousand bad streamers taint your view of games videos is like letting a thousand bad forum posters taint your view of games journalism.

Matthewmatosis and MrBtongue are a world away from teens on twitch with 0 views and there's nothing wrong with those 0 views kids anyway. They're part of a generation that take selfies at funerals because that's how they express themselves. They've grown up in a world where you've always been able to share everything with everyone. They never saw the planet without the web.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    When I mentioned metacritic I was talking about aggregated critic reviews, not individuals.

If 30 reviewers all give a game 20% you can be pretty sure it's shit. Likewise if it's at the upper end you can then decide if you want to take a punt or read on places like this to get a consensus.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    H's opinion has weight.

Never thought I'd see the day.
  • I was talking about aggregating critic reviews as well, beyond a consensus of extremely low scores I find it a pretty pointless exercise - for explanation, see issue with RT.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    For me, the problem with youtubers comes from the conflation of "personality" with shouting / dumb voices. There is a lack of nuance and reasoning on YouTube, or again, it's conflated with "point by point logical fallacies." We don't have a Donlan in YouTube yet. We don't even have a Stanton. I'll be fucked if we get an Ebert anytime soon.

Also fuck Rotten Tomatoes, IMDb, Metacritic ET Al.

The only site you need is box office mojo. RAW NUMBERS MAN
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Twitch is basically a replacement for strip and dancing work for lots of skint uni girls so there's always the social angle you have to thank Twitch for thanks Twitch.
  • Skade wrote:
    I do, i have been too lazy to cancel my subscription, despite the fact i find myself reading less and less of the contents.

This. Me too. Although I did enjoy this months Naughty Dog feature.
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Boris - case in point. Deadly Premonition - generally low scores across the board. sterling gives it a 10. I know I want to play it because I get how sterling ticks and what he finds amusing etc, and it lines up with my own tastes.

I play DP, I like it.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    When I mentioned metacritic I was talking about aggregated critic reviews, not individuals.

If 30 reviewers all give a game 20% you can be pretty sure it's shit. Likewise if it's at the upper end you can then decide if you want to take a punt or read on places like this to get a consensus.

I think one person telling you something has got 1 star is usually enough if you understand their opinion. How many times have games got such low scores with some number of fives thrown In the mix?
  • Sterling's YT stuff is good but he also has base experience of writing for 7 odd years. Same with Matt Lees, the Shut Up & Sit Down guys, etc

The difference between them and TopHatMan is big. Even ThatFedoraOne built on writing experience, and it shows.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That's true. Plus those guys are generally doing more than just LPs, they're having fun with the form because they recognise the inherent stupidity of it
  • *deleted double post*
  • Tempy wrote:
    Sterling's YT stuff is good but he also has base experience of writing for 7 odd years. Same with Matt Lees, the Shut Up & Sit Down guys, etc

The difference between them and TopHatMan is big. Even ThatFedoraOne built on writing experience, and it shows.

I guess though, the gate for publishing 7 years ago was much (infinitely) higher than now.

• Tempy wrote:
    I was talking about aggregating critic reviews as well, beyond a consensus of extremely low scores I find it a pretty pointless exercise - for explanation, see issue with RT.
    You're missing a trick there. Just like I know that Jonathan Ross has a thing for Japanese culture, I can adjust for what an aggregate of the masses like. And the individual reviews are right there on the page so you can dismiss the guy that clearly didn't understand how to play Vanquish and the people that complain if a game is under 1hr per $.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!