Game of the 6th Gen (PS2 era)
  • Raiziel wrote:
    IanHamlett wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    DC is in?? METROPOLITAN STREET RACER!
    My man.
    Yeah but PGR bettered it, surely.  Wanted to squeeze PGR 2 on to my list but no room.

Indeed. PGR2 was the pinnacle. It's never been bettered online either.
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Jet Set Fucking Radio (original and Future), Vice City. This is gonna be tough.

Shit forgot about JSRF and Xbox completely. Need to redo my list. Halo obviously.

• This will be a tough gen, I bought and played a hell of a lot of games around this time.

At least one GTA will get in, Halo 2, Soul Calibur 2, Warioware, Timesplitters 2, Wind Waker,MK:DD.
  • gamerluke wrote:
    5- Medal Of Honour (Oct 31st 1999) [PC]
    Y'see, this is where just using start and end times for PC is problematic. Beside the fact that I can't find any reference to it being ported to PC, this is a PlayStation title ported over. It doesn't belong in this generation. Also, there's no 'u' in the title.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    PC: 14 October 1999 (DC release in UK) to 11 March 2005 (DS release in UK). Agreed?

Sounds great to me!
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    5- Medal Of Honour (Oct 31st 1999) [PC]
    Y'see, this is where just using start and end times for PC is problematic. Beside the fact that I can't find any reference to it being ported to PC, this is a PlayStation title ported over. It doesn't belong in this generation. Also, there's no 'u' in the title.

I agree, I don't think this one was released on PC either.

Allied assault was the first one released on PC and was released in 2002.
  • Oops, you're right & not just about my spelling of honour. Not sure what i was playing & no longer have the box to look. Time for some googling.. . can remember it started with an epic landing on Omaha beach.
  • Ah-ha. It was medal of honor 'allied assault' which was released at the beginning of 2002 - I'll amend my post accordingly.
  • Deus Ex
    WarioWare Twisted
    KoTOR
    Unreal Tournament
    Vice CIty
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Resident Evil 4
    Mario Golf Advance Tour
    Mario Kart Super Circuit
    Virtua Tennis

Will put reasons up later!
  • gamerluke wrote:
    Ah-ha. It was medal of honor 'allied assault' which was released at the beginning of 2002 - I'll amend my post accordingly.

I would concur on that. Probably the only pc shooter I enjoyed at length as it came out when a mate owned a lan cafe. Great game.

Also, Black is a great shout. Surprised it never transitioned to newer consoles.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I read that as "ian cafe", and could not work out why Cafes owned by ians made for better Medal of Honor.
  • Allied Assault is the Zampella and West one I think.

I always think of Black defining the modern military shooter for the next gen - all the noise, explosions and bullet casings come from there. A fair bit of the dumb fun as well.
  • I read that as "ian cafe", and could not work out why Cafes owned by ians made for better Medal of Honor.
    I read it as 'my mate Ian owned a cafe', which was no where near what it said. I just imagined they used to hang out at Ian's cafe a lot playing computer games.
  • God this is hard, Ive had to cut Wind Waker and Viewtiful Joe which is upsetting.

In order from top to bottom

Metroid Prime
    Resident Evil 4
    F-Zero GX
    Advance Wars
    Skies of Arcadia
    Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door
    Wario Ware INC Mega Party Games
    Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
    Timesplitters 2
    Killer7
  • 01. Metroid Prime
    02. Wind Waker
    03. Super Smash Bros Melee
    04. KOTOR II: The Sith Lords
    05. F-Zero GX
    06. Capcom vs SNK 2
    07. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
    08. Burnout
    09. Gran Turismo 3
    10. Viewtiful Joe
  • 1. Ninja Gaiden
    2. Rez
    3. P.N.03
    4. Halo CE
    5. Wind Waker
    6. MSR
    7. Vice City
    8. Soul Calibur
    9. JSRF
    10...tba
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    OK, in order, including Xbox, Dreamcast and Gamecube games (while I eventually got a PS2, not much really had a place in my heart, it felt a soulless machine to me, excepting Ico and Timesplitters 2)

1. Metroid Prime (amazing re-imaging of my favourite SNES game)
    2. Resident Evil 4 (as has already been discussed many times on this forum)
    3. Halo (The Silent Cartographer, say no more)
    4. Zelda: Wind Waker (loved it from the first screen shot, even when loads of people complained about the cel shaded artwork)
    5. Shenmue (game I didn't want to end, even the going to work moving boxes around was strangely compelling)
    6. Metropolis Street Racer (great cars, great driving, great settings)
    7. Jet Set Radio Future (couldn't get on with the first one, the flow of this game was amazing, and Beastie Boys on the soundtrack, what's not to like)
    8. Super Monkey Ball (best multiplayer family game ever = Monkey Target)
    9. Animal Crossing (first game the whole family played. Remember my GF at the time who worked at a school pretty much played this all summer long when she was off)
    10. Virtua Tennis 2 (the best tennis game just got a bit better, love for the mini games)

Special mentions to: Mario Sunshine (almost, but not quite), Crazy Taxi (great in small does), Ikaruga (for kicking my ass), Rogue Leader (can't remember which one, but was the best console star wars until KOTOR turned up). Soul Calibur and Code Veronica get bumped off my top 10, due to the Xbox.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    1. Metal Gear Solid 3 2. resi 4 3. Tony Hawk 3 4. Metal Gear solid 2 5. Advance Wars 6. We heart Katamari 7. Quake 3 8.Re: remake 9. PES 4 10. FFXII

Advance Wars is there twice.

FIXED
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Quake 3's another good shout. Any chance we can each have a top 15 or 20 instead of 10? This generation will be hard to pin down otherwise.
  • You forget just how many fantastic games were released in this era!
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I don't know if it's in my top 10 but I wanted to make sure any evaluation of this gen doesn't pass without at least mentioning Spider-Man 2.

Job done.
  • Allied Assault is a good shout, superb game. Didn't those guys leave EA to form infinity ward only to be forced to then make another WWII shooter in CoD for Activision?

They then had to wait years to finally make the modern day shooter they first thought of at EA - CoD4MW?

Anyway thats a honorable mention for me along with Crazy Taxi.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • JonB wrote:
    I read that as "ian cafe", and could not work out why Cafes owned by ians made for better Medal of Honor.
    I read it as 'my mate Ian owned a cafe', which was no where near what it said. I just imagined they used to hang out at Ian's cafe a lot playing computer games.

That is a life I want to live.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Quake 3's another good shout. Any chance we can each have a top 15 or 20 instead of 10? This generation will be hard to pin down otherwise.

In OP. Have as many as you want. Minimum 5, only top 10 will get points.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • You forget just how many fantastic games were released in this era!

PS2 is my fave after SNES.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm seeing so many games I could list but then realising I played them on PSP, not Xbox or PS2. <sigh> I could just... lie...

Anyway, I've got a shortlist to work from:

4x4 Evo (PS2)
    Advance Wars (GBA)
    Alien Hominid (GBA)/(Xbox)
    Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance (PS2)
    Battle Engine Aquila (PS2)
    Black (PS2)
    Bombed an Tournament (GBA)
    Burnout (PS2)
    Burnout 2 (PS2)
    Burnout 3: Takedown (PS2)
    Cold Fear (PS2)
    Crazy Taxi (DC)
    Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 (PS2)
    Def Jam Fight for New York (PS2)
    Def Jam Vendetta (PS2)
    Driven (GBA)
    Dropship: United Peace Force (PS2)
    Doom 3 (Xbox)
    Dynasty Warriors 2 (PS2)
    Far Cry Instincts (Xbox)
    Flatout (Xbox)
    Flatout 2 (Xbox)
    Freedom Fighters (PS2)
    Full Spectrum Warrior (Xbox)
    Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2)
    Grand Theft Auto Vice City (PS2)
    Ico (PS2)
    Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (PS2)
    Kessen (PS2)
    Kengo: Master of Bushido (PS2)
    Kuri Kuri Mix (PS2)
    Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (PS2)
    Madden NFL 2001 (PS2)
    Manhunt (PS2)
    Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA)
    Mashed / Mashed Fully Loaded (PS2)/(Xbox)
    Max Payne (PS2)
    Mister Mosquito (PS2)
    NFL Street (PS2)
    Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)
    Onimusha: Warlords (PS2)
    Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy (PS2)
    Red Dead Revolver (PS2)
    Red Faction (PS2)
    Rez (PS2)
    Ring of Red (PS2)
    Rocky Legends (Xbox)
    EA Sports Rugby (PS2)
    Sega GT (Xbox)
    Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
    Silent Scope (PS2)
    Sky Odyssey (PS2)
    Smugglers’ Run (PS2)
    Spider-man (PS2)
    SSX (PS2)
    Star Wars: Battlefront (PS2)
    Star Wars: Starfighter (PS2)
    State of Emergency (PS2)
    Stuntman (PS2)
    TimeSplitters (PS2)
    Tomb Raider: Anniversary (Xbox)
    Tomb Raider: Legend (Xbox)
    Tony Hawks Zpro Skater 2 (GBA)
    Top Spin (Xbox)
    Victorious Boxers: Ippo's Road to Glory (PS2)
    Virtua Tennis (DC)
    WarioWare, Inc. (GBA)
    XIII (Xbox)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My draft top 10 :

1, 2 and 3 are in my Best Ever list.

1. Super Monkey Ball
    2. Worms Armageddon
    3. Mario Kart DD

4. Virtua Tennis (1 or 2)
    Tennis is the perfect sport to recreate in a video game. Everything can be seen on the screen at once. It can also accommodate 4 people and 2 vs 2 is an under represented experience. It has great arcade style pick up and play control which will grow with you. It still looks pretty splendid - especially via the DC's VGA cable. There's mini games too.

5. RType Final
    Initially this is just another, albeit excellent, entry in the R-Type series. Then you start to unlock different levels and ships and it becomes something more. The Score attack mode becomes the Gran Turismo of shooting games with over 100 ships, 53 force orbs, 12 options/bits, 10 kinds of missiles and 5 different dose attacks that can be mixed and matched. Endless. Also has a bizarre turn-based battle mode for 2 players.

6. Gunbird 2
    At first this looks like a hum drum by-the-number vertical shooting game but Gunbird 2 still gets attention in shmupping circles, and with good reason.

There's the compulsive chaining mechanic - large scores are built by grabbing enemy dropped coins while they glint for a few frames. You also have several weapons at your disposal; each differing greatly in their effectiveness across the available cast of characters and each coming with their own risks (be it a close quarter weapon or one that requires a delay before activating) The Dreamcast version's single player mode is boosted by a novel option that lets you pick 2 characters who tag-team on each life loss.

7. Rez
    A game that lets you feel the rhythm of a level. Sight, sounds and feedback in harmony and all that jazz - but what really counts is that at its core is "just" interaction boiled down to only what is enjoyable. That, and the fact that it is wrapped up in such glorious sights and sounds, is what makes this so memorable and so damn enjoyable. It's high repayability is cranked up by the unlockable extras to further extend its life and give you plenty to go back to.

8. Mr Driller
    Pure arcade crack - and it's further enhanced when experienced on the Dreamcast with the beautifully responsive arcade stick. The main game is great and has an epic challenge but it's rounded out nicely with time trial and survival modes. No matter how long I've owned this I always enjoy going back to it - the simplicity of it all means it's pretty close to Tetris in its purity.

9. F Zero GX
    Sega took the best arcade style racing game ever and added their coat of polish to it. The environments have that epic feel, the tracks are magnificent and this is content packed. Time trial, practice and multi-player modes are present and correct but are now accompanied by a brutal story mode that is of the pure old-school try, try and try again paradigm. Looks gorgeous too.

10. Warioware Inc
    When I first played this it was like being in mental free fall. While you won't get that rush back once you've played it to completion, it offers many different ways to replay the mini games - from the hard-core obsessive solo practice mode through the joyous multi-player modes which will last for years.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Worms Armageddon has to be in my list too... many happy hours on that back in my student days
  • You'd have to include the original Forza on Xbox too.. That was a milestone for car games.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It was?  I thought it was just aping Gran Turismo, no?
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!