Game of the 6th Gen (PS2 era)
  • Did nobody like Twilight Princess or do people consider it a Wii game?

I only played the start, so don't have an opinion on it.
  • It's definitely a GC game. I loved it but wanted only one Zelda in there and 4 Swords takes it, although I never finished it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I just didn't like TP. Finished it quickly and never thought about it again.
  • Liked TP but I played it on Wii.
  • After going through this thread, and adding the couple I thought off off the top of my head, so haven't really sat down to think about it, my shortlist is 47 games long.
  • Skondo wrote:
    Great thread elf, just wish I could contribute. I had PS2, XBox and GameCube. Didn't complete one game on any of these consoles.

Not even Ico?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Liked TP but I played it on Wii.

Yeah but that shouldn't stop you voting for it here. It's the same game on both, arguably better on GC as its not sullied by tacked on motion controls.
  • Stop posting awesome games I'd not yet thought about.

Adkm just killed me.

Mashed, Flatout, a couple of others. Chaos Theory from Dubs is a great shout. 

Funny thing about this "era" is how broad it is. Late gen stuff my mind is tempted to think it was 360 era, early stuff I have to remind myself its not ps1.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Typing of the Dead..
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm so shit at that!
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Super Bombad Racing.
  • Bob wrote:
    Skondo wrote:
    Great thread elf, just wish I could contribute. I had PS2, XBox and GameCube. Didn't complete one game on any of these consoles.
    Not even Ico?

Not until the PS3 version.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Alien Hominid (GBA)/(Xbox)

Loved this.  Wish I'd bought it on GBA when I had the chance.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Some ideas of mine, no order yet, but:

MSR
    Crazy Taxi
    Jet Set Radio
    Powerstone 2
    Civ III
    GTA III
    KOTOR
    Half Life 2
    Total Annihilation
    Battlefield 2
    Dungeon Keeper
    Mech Commander
    Deus Ex

I'm not sure if all of those qualify.

Need to add virtua tennis, shenmue and shogun total war to that list.
  • Need to organise this lot out: Shenmue, Powerstone, MvsC 2, Crazy Taxi,Eternal Darkness,FZero GX, Ikaruga, Halo, MSR, PGR2, Topspin, Garou Mark of the Wolves, Capcom vs SNK 2, Street fighter III, DefJam Fight for NewYork, Ferrari 355, Daytona 2001,
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Add counter strike source to the short list to.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ten isn't enough for this gen. It really is the best ever.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    GTA 3 was really something else when it came out.
  • Five distinct consoles :)

Probably the only gen that won't have a Mario or Zelda game universally acclaimed though.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I thought Sunshine was lauded as one of the few shit Mario games.
  • Bollockoff wrote:

By people who are wrong.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Not shit but flawed. Crappy camera being the main culprit.
  • Deus Ex WarioWare Twisted KoTOR Unreal Tournament Vice CIty Metal Gear Solid 2 Resident Evil 4 Mario Golf Advance Tour Mario Kart Super Circuit Virtua Tennis Will put reasons up later!

Deus Ex - After viewing the video of the game from a magazine called Incite gaming or something (it was a bit FHM with games) and realising it was linked to System Shock I was compelled to play it. When I did play it (pirate copy :( but at least I've bought it three times since :-/)  it was fucking amazing. Firstly people talk about choice but it was so good. conversation choice, mission strategy choice, mission choosing choice. So good. And all sorts of tasty nuggets and niknaks. Anyone into conspiracy theories at the time (it was around the height of x-files pre millenial angst time) dug how they mashed everything together like the Robert Anton Wilson Novel Illuminatus. Magic.

WarioWare Twisted - I got this on a trip to canada, glad I did as it was never released. You can see the beginnings of the Wii experiment here. So much joy and fun in this game, especially in the retro mans games. 

KoTor - this game blew my mind. I had no interest in RPGs at the time but this game kept me playing till the end. so many neat little games like becoming some duelling hero, sabotaging some popstar wannabe's quest to becoming a star (or helping). The best bits were to me the robot HK-47 (meatbag) and Jolee Bindo (the grey jedi). And this doesn't even mention the overrarching plot, which has a twist that does that thing that Bioshock did later where which plays back all the clues for you and you feel like a thicko (any other games that do this?).

Unreal Tournament - another pirate game from college years. Spent too many hours playing this, mostly offline. Quake was good but it was very much a deathmatch game, while UT was the game to play when you wanted some vairety. The use of that mode where you complete a mission and set a par time was fucking immense.

Vice City- Probably the sweetspot of GTA for me. Small but varied environs, fun sound track, excellent cast, fun foreshadowing and the perfect place between GTA3's slight functionalness and SA's OTT nonsense. Also Maurice Chavez, talk radio hasn't been bettered in a GTA game since.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - A bit of a cheat this one as I first played it in the HD collection. The best one imo out of the lot. The whole idea behind the game also feels bizarrrely relevant today. And Kojima's super trolling of gamesplayers who want more of the same and more of the completely different is just top class.

Resident Evil 4 - played during those cheeky wii years when nothing fun was out but atleast you could play excellent GCN games. Bombastic.

Mario Golf Advance - Has to be in just because of the time I put in. Must have been good. I think the best of all the Mario Sports games that I've played (except perhaps Mario tennis 64)

MKSC: popped my gen 6 and GBA cherry with this game. Probably one of  the few times I tried to be good at racing laps on a game. 

VT: A disc perpetually included in our DC at uni. Still fucking shite at it.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    By people who are wrong.

The platforming is bobbins.
  • May well change, and may write a bit more as to why, may also need to do a best of the rest list.

1. Halo CE Has to be. Played to death, what else can you say? Co-op and lan MP for years. Played on a weekly basis even after  H2 came out. And going from N64, a genuine leap in graphics, IMO.

2. Shadow of the Collosus Just lovely. Atmosphere to burn. Minimalism makes every discovery a genuine thrill, and it feels properly expansive. Love everything about it, including the clunky controls.

3. Metriod Prime Just the ultimate explorathon and masterclass in unlocking a map. 

4. GTA SA Almost arbitrary choice between the 3 GTAs, will leave this in, and think whether I want to change it for VC.

5. Half Life 2  (xbox) As a relatively linear story/adventure its just amazeballs, and I was blown away by how playable it was on xbox. Ornage Box was even better, but didn't feel short changed having my first go on xbox.

6.  Halo 2 Campaign is flawed but still amazing. And hello online. Again, what can I say, until H3 came out, I wasn't really worried about a 360 and was still playing H2 until it was released.

7. MSR Could be PGR 2 here, but want to give a nod to MSR, the handling, the kudos, the understated hud/menus and such. Just class all round.

8. Rez Noticing this list is filling with games that nailed their theme and atmosphere, and usually had some jaw drapping moments that stayed with you.

9. Ico See above, also see yet another game that doesn't overstay it's welcome.

10. Prince Of Persia Sands of Time lean and mean, virtually no fluff on this, just exciting exploration the whole way, the fighting now just looks like typical ubi almost but not quite fluid shizzle, but at least it wasn't a massive hinderance. Game gets massive props for having the best "and now we take away all your powers" bit in any game ever.

The Rest

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Looked amazing. the MP was clever, and it sorted a lot of issues from the first. 

Mashed local MP at it's best.

Geo Wars XBLA in a nutshell, before XBLA.

Panzer Dragoon Orta Add to the short sharp and awesome list. Looked stunning and played very solidly. 

KOTOR

Phantom Crash

PoP Two Princes

Burnout 3

GTA3

GTA VC

Tony Hawk 2 (DC)

Top Spin

Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance (Xbox)

Black (PS2)

Flatout (Xbox)

Full Spectrum Warrior (Xbox)

Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (PS2)

Manhunt (PS2)

Mashed / Mashed Fully Loaded (PS2)/(Xbox)

Rocky Legends (Xbox)

Star Wars: Battlefront (PS2)

Tomb Raider: Legend (Xbox)

XIII (Xbox)

Kung Fu Chaos

Hitman 2
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I've changed things round a bit, and put Warioware in for Stranger's Wrath:

1. Fire Emblem (GBA)
    2. Astro Boy (GBA)
    3. Ninja Gaiden (XB)
    4. Okami (PS2)
    5. Disgaea (PS2)
    6. Super Monkey Ball (GC)
    7. PES (XB)
    8. Advance Wars (GBA)
    9. Halo CE (XB)
    10. Warioware (GBA)

Not quites: 
    Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
    Ikaruga (would probably be higher if I was better at it)
    Resi Remake
    Resi 4
    Prince of Persia
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Tactics Ogre
    Worms World Party
    And about the first two thirds of Metroid Prime

1. Fire Emblem (GBA): The best turn-based strategy game ever, and still the finest version I've played. Each map offers so many layers of challenge, and it's up to you how ambitious you want to be - simply complete the objective or do it without losing anyone, get all the treasure chests, steal everything stealable, recruit new units, visit all the villages, kill all enemies, use the arena, rescue the NPCs, and maximise the amount of XP you get while you're at it. All while dealing with fog, darkness, rain, snow and long range weapons attacks. I love it when a plan comes together.

2. Astro Boy (GBA): Not especially remarkable at first, but it's full of Treasure magic in the later stages. Then you finish it, but you haven't really finished it, and things take a very clever turn...

3. Ninja Gaiden (XB): It's no Bayonetta but at the time the combat system was second to none, and the variety of levels, and stuff to beat up, and stuff to beat it up with was great. Then there's the bosses of course - proper bosses that will kick the shit out of you until you really want to see them die, thus bringing immense satisfaction when they finally do. 

4. Okami (PS2): I didn't play this until the Wii version, but it doesn't really matter. Real slow starter of a game that I could easily have given up on in the first hours. But when it finally opens out it's breathtakingly lovely. There was a point where I realised what I was doing was restoring this world to life, one bit at a time. You can appreciate the difference between when you enter a new area and when you leave it, and it's just rather beautiful.

5. Disgaea (PS2): The second best turn-based strategy game ever. Drew me in with its silly characters and story, as the actual gameplay seems quite ordinary at first. But the depth. There's so much to do outside the main story, including the infamous item world and its mind-fucking gems and coloured tiles. Hundreds of hours and still finding new stuff.

6. Super Monkey Ball (GC): The first GC game and still the best. Brilliant maze designs that were pure skill tests (meaning some were too hard for me), and great multiplayer shenanigans in the likes of monkey bowling and monkey target. And, you know, monkeys.

7. PES (XB): Master League. I think it was PES 4 I had, but I guess they're all about the same. Totally addicted to ML for a good long time, and it just played a superb game of footy. 

8. Advance Wars (GBA): The third best turn-based strategy game ever (and Tactics Ogre and FF Tactics Advance were around then too - truly a golden age for the genre). It's the pure gameplay that comes from pitting all the different units and their particular qualities against each other, without the clutter that later entries in the series brought.

9. Halo CE (XB): Played it on Normal, finished it, thought it was good, moved on to other things. Came back to it some months later and put it on Heroic and found it was a completely different proposition. A lot of little changes in enemy types and positions, and an obvious increase in AI, and suddenly there's a whole new tactical element involved. One of the few FPSs I really like.

10. Warioware (GBA): It's just fucking nuts, really. Totally unexpected and often hilarious.
  • This is going to be difficult. Will write up a list later, but...

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, KOTOR, Halo, Warioware (GC), Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. Resi 4, Max Payne, Super Monkey Ball, Stranger's Wrath, Soul Calibur 2.
  • Five distinct consoles :) Probably the only gen that won't have a Mario or Zelda game universally acclaimed though.

Yep. They are still great, but the previous versions were very hard acts to follow. At least Metroid was amazing.
  • I reckon it's gonna be between Halo, Metroid Prime, and possibly Half Life 2 if people bother thinking about PC games.

Good to see some people giving love to Okami. One of my personal favourites. It's the Zelda that the gen needed.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Crap forgot about Advance Wars and people keep adding games I forgot that were amazing. Gonna be rewriting my list a lot I think!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!