Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
  • This is fine.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Oh fuck sorry everyone, I crashed the page turn and ruined it. Soz.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • What was the "nanomachines"in V ? was it that virus name?
  • Vocal cord parasites

If you can read that sentence without hearing it in Code Talker's voice, you haven't played MGSV enough.
  • how had i forgotten about that?
  • I tried to.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The Vocal Cord stuff is great, it's just a shame that Venom doesn't get to question it and get the older MGS style dialogue going with it. I wish it had maybe stayed a bit more conceptual than attempting to mimic that parasite that affects snails and slugs etc but after reading Snow Crash I've realised that I've got an interest in language/Babel as tool,weapon and consequence and it was fun to see it explored in a game.

The poor part for me was the parasites that could process uranium and so on. I got that they were based on real life forms and Kojima likes to present his research like a kid at Science Fair (what are microorganisms but natures nanomachines eh? Make U think...) but it felt a lot like MGS4 - hand waving intrigue away by saying 'uh Nanoma- wait, parasites' wheras the vocal cord stuff actually fit a lot of the games themes and as an idea it was really strong.
  • i always had the nagging feeling that actors were changed fairly last minute - so a lot of potential dialogue from Venom was lost. like tears. in the rain.
  • Keifer was in it since Ground Zeroes though, I just think it was due to the direction the plot was taking. He doesn't speak because it makes him too authored and less "you" which is kind of the point of the game and if only someone had done a video on that eh ;)
  • maybe, but i remember there being a lot of one sided conversations that didn't seem very Kojimish... the jeep conversation with skullface springs to mind.

there were also some scene that were cut and you can find on youtube, who knows what else might have been chopped.
  • The problem with the cut content is that it's impossible to know when or why it was cut. Games always have cut content, same with films. 400 hours of mad max footage for a 2 hour film doesn't mean that the other 398 hours are the real film waiting to be made. Although I do agree that it does feel like some ancillary elements are missing, I think the core of what I believe Kojima was going for is very evident - absence is a huge theme in the game and is prevalent on so many levels. As for it not being very Kojima-ish in its dialogue, I agree, but can't help but feel it was a decision as opposed to a restriction. The whole game is markedly different from previous Metal Gears, and I think if he'd wanted to make 3 again, he would have, but he wanted to make V. As crippled by development it may have been, I still think it's story supports that Venom was always going to be a cipher. That would always have disappointed a lot of people, but the metal gear team are very happy to push people back with their games. The interplay they create is interesting and I think writing it off as unintentional feels like ignoring MGS2&4, which knew exactly what they were doing when they pushed back. But then again I am an apologist, and have spent many many hours reading and writing about MGSV, because I find it utterly fascinating before you even begin to talk about the gameplay.
  • i'm just very cynical about this game. everyone knows kojima didn't want to make another MGS and for whatever reasons he fell out with Konami etc etc.

i wish he owned the rights to snatcher though.
  • He didn't want to make 3 or 4 either - but he still did! 

The falling out seems to be largely over money, how and when the project should be released etc. It's the third most expensive Japanese game ever made, and what else did Konami have to float them during that time? A shit Silent Hill port? Pachinko machines? It probably ruined Konami and I imagine the split was acrimonious, at best.

But, my optimism is due to my misguided belief in the ability for Kojima and co. to deal with the hands they're dealt. Absence was always a core theme of the game, but instead of applying cynicism to it, I reckon they leaned into the cuts and doubled down on the theme. Now I am not saying i'm right, and occam's razor means I am probably flapping my gums over nothing, but textual analysis is all about interpretation and I think everything I lay out in my video is fairly supportive. 

Other viewpoints are as valid, and as relevant. Multiplicity is key.
  • the open worldness destroyed any narrative structure - the absence of this might fit with the theme but I just didn't like it. MGS has always had lovely little set pieces that just weren't in this one. there were a few missions that were very MGS and it just made it worse.
  • But the narrative was that you were a soldier roaming the open world, recruiting soldiers to your force, and forging a legacy as Big Boss, the ultimate mercenary. I'd argue that whilst a linear narrative would have been able to achieve some of that, it would miss out on the impact of the legacy aspect, which is the crux of the narrative.

Boss's final tape, where he says that your history is the one you made for yourself, wouldn't have had as much impact if every player had played a linear narrative that was in essence the same.

Again, that's not to say you have to like it, its just another perspective on it.
  • that could still have been achieved whilst still delivering some nutty cutscenes and boss battles.
  • It could but it wasn't, and I'm always very open to developers trying to expand their remit. Another MGS3 would have been great, but that would have meant no V, and when all is said and done, I can easily pop in my MGS3 disc and play that.

Anyway I'm not trying to make you say MGSV is good, I just think it's more interesting than just an open world MGS game that doesn't do what the previous games did. For Koj it's subtler in some avenues than his previous endeavours, and whilst not exactly free from total rubbish (Quiet's whole thing) it's certainly more mature on other aspects. Gives me faith that the old goat isn't done yet.

Also I could rattle on about this shit all day, thanks to my workload being fairly lax right now.
  • opinions! you can have them but they better be the same as mine!

i'll play it again one day no doubt, but for now 3>1>2>4>5 ! i might even put PO and PW before 5.
  • 3 is for sure deff the best.
  • just realised i nearly went for chronology there.... 3 is the bestest. that torture scene is still pretty intense. would love to see it remade with uncharted 4's foliage... that game would be perfect (IMO) if the camo fiddling was absent.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I just want to dip in here and float the idea of MGS2 being the possible best out there

CYA
  • I am receptive to that idea.
  • Got an email from Game advertising preorder of newly announced title. And mentions exactly what happens at the end of 5 which I haven't played yet. Thanks. 

Order of greatness? Agree with Smang except I haven't played 5 yet.
    3, 1, 2, 4.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    2, 5, 3

fuck the rest lol
  • 2 is best. Pre, during and post, it just changed the whole game.
  • 3 > 2 > 1 > 4 > Peace Walker > V
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • ordering them is really difficult. I'd put 2 at the top but otherwise tricky.
  • 1 > 2 > 3 > V > 4 > PW

Yet to finish the 8Bit pair, or start the GBC game which I hear is excellent.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I spent a small fortune on a mint copy of ghost Babel in Japan. Worth it
  • How much? I got rid of my PAL copy last year for around only £40 which seemed to be the going rate.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!