The British Politics Thread
  • They were on their bullshit right from the start and were told to fuck off. But I think the public quite liked her at first. So it was more like a drip-drip. Drip. She's got a lot of demands about the wedding. Drip. She's a diva. Drip. The Queen maybe doesn't think that much of her. Drip. She's driving a wedge between the brothers. Drip. She's a bitch.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Exactly this. I had people at work, sadly usually women, who said they didn’t like her but couldn’t say why when I questioned them. I remember emailing everyone with all of the shit the Daily Mail online had been posting for months about her and the comparison to how they write about Kate.

Two that stuck out are time. The avocado one, Meghan was causing harm to third world countries because she ate it, Kate was eating wisely during her pregnancy. The other was they both wore pretty much the same dress, Meghan was a whore, Kate looked classy. Basically misogyny with a heavy dose of racism.
  • I'd do both of them.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    I can understand the anger of wanting a vile figure to suffer. I really can. But what makes you better than them in a great many cases is empathy, or rather their lack of it.

It’s easy to say that from a point of safety within a peaceful society with relatively strong rule of law when the idea of an evil person causing harm is just an abstract idea instead of something that has actually happened to you or to the people that you love.

If somebody did something bad to you, you wouldn’t harm them in return but that’s because you would engage a massive system of criminal justice centuries in the making that everyone in your society is invested in, including financially via taxes, not necessarily because you’re an intrinsically nice person. And the wealth that would helping that system gear up into action would be there partly because of your ancestors doing terrible, terrible things to other people around the world.

Before modern criminal justice systems, the deterrent from doing bad stuff to people and the justice for people doing bad stuff would have had to been provided via violence through blood feuds etc. Were the people that engaged in that truly worse people than us or just people like us trying to live peaceful lives with the limited - for them even more limited - resources available to us?

Even today, you have the leaders of countries committing terrible atrocities with little done to stop them by the international community, lawless areas where people struggle to obtain justice for severe crimes like murder and rape and even in our own society many crimes for which justice cannot ever be provided simply because those crimes didn’t generate a sufficient evidence trail.

It’s easy for us to talk about empathy and being the better person but in reality the ability to cause suffering to a wrongdoer by will alone would actually be a powerful tool for justice for many people throughout history and even for a great many people today for whom formal justice is not an option.

Of course I can say that from a point of safety. That's where I am. I wasn't 30 years ago....was at a slightly higher risk to die in an instant. Maybe that has changed me but I've been fortunate to get through that.

If someone killed one of my kids no punishment would be enough.....at a minimum it would be a life of physical and mental torture. Death would be over too soon for me.

But that's why we have a legal system. It lifts us up from that to be able to have higher feelings.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    If someone killed one of my kids no punishment would be enough.....at a minimum it would be a life of physical and mental torture. Death would be over too soon for me.

This is disturbing.
  • Not as disturbing as when he tells it to their boyfriends.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Torture is too hard a word to be honest. Toil would be more apt to my thinking.

Although special treatment would be reserved for those cunts who won't reveal body locations.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I give you your new deputy chair of the Tories. It's just beyond parody at this point. I'm not a massive fan of Ridge, but I'm with her when she clearly is trying to stifle a laugh at this idiots expense. About 1.26 into the video is where it starts.

Clearly, making all those red wall voters proud to be representing them. Anyone outside of London is just like this.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What happens when fools are sent to defend the indefensible. Anyone with an ounce of sense and any principals wouldn't be in that situation.

Anything for advancement.

• EvilRedEye wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    I can understand the anger of wanting a vile figure to suffer. I really can. But what makes you better than them in a great many cases is empathy, or rather their lack of it.
    It’s easy to say that from a point of safety within a peaceful society with relatively strong rule of law when the idea of an evil person causing harm is just an abstract idea instead of something that has actually happened to you or to the people that you love. If somebody did something bad to you, you wouldn’t harm them in return but that’s because you would engage a massive system of criminal justice centuries in the making that everyone in your society is invested in, including financially via taxes, not necessarily because you’re an intrinsically nice person. And the wealth that would helping that system gear up into action would be there partly because of your ancestors doing terrible, terrible things to other people around the world. Before modern criminal justice systems, the deterrent from doing bad stuff to people and the justice for people doing bad stuff would have had to been provided via violence through blood feuds etc. Were the people that engaged in that truly worse people than us or just people like us trying to live peaceful lives with the limited - for them even more limited - resources available to us? Even today, you have the leaders of countries committing terrible atrocities with little done to stop them by the international community, lawless areas where people struggle to obtain justice for severe crimes like murder and rape and even in our own society many crimes for which justice cannot ever be provided simply because those crimes didn’t generate a sufficient evidence trail. It’s easy for us to talk about empathy and being the better person but in reality the ability to cause suffering to a wrongdoer by will alone would actually be a powerful tool for justice for many people throughout history and even for a great many people today for whom formal justice is not an option.

Brilliant post.  Totally right,  I find general life quite hard to reconcile with the fact I've directly and literally killed people for their actions, which sort of breaks that system.   In some circumstances I've literally been judge, jury, and executioner, and it's not a nice thing to live with if you're a normal, intelligent, empathetic, human being.  

I utterly, utterly hate it, and hate that we do only have one life with this sort of thing.
  • I'd do both of them.

Is this the time where I say I chatted up Kate once to the point where if she didn't have a prettier blonde friend with her, I would have probably taken her home...?

Also Meghan is stunning.  I'm amazed a friend of mine 'just doesn't like her' and tries to claim it's because of her being 'an actress' and bringing 'drama' into the royal family.
  • Anyone been reading the discourse about Freeports and The Economic Zones. Sounds like all the shit that was campaigned against with the transatlantic trade agreement has come to pass. Private companies able to avoid tax, ignore regulations and safety, employment laws and anything else they feel like, with it being funded by public money and private companies making a fortune. Seriously, fuck sunak.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Who knew that privatising the water services would end badly?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh I know the answer to this one
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's okay, some posh boys from Oxbridge have gotten sick now so the government might actually do something about it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Ooh I know the answer to this one

Me too

*raises hand at the back of the class*
  • It's okay, some posh boys from Oxbridge have gotten sick now so the government might actually do something about it.

"Roderick spewed over the cox and it was coming out of both ends by the finish line, but by jolly he never stopped rowing!"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
     Also Meghan is stunning.  I'm amazed a friend of mine 'just doesn't like her' and tries to claim it's because of her being 'an actress' and bringing 'drama' into the royal family.

Baffled by hate she gets. She is a gorgeous woman. But I don't think it was stretch to think she wouldn't have been happy staying the UK opening garden fetes. She had a career and is let's face it, American. Marrying a damaged boy and let's face it - a pretty thick one - wasn't going to end well.

I also know for a fact that despite her claims not to know about Harry or the royals she was obsessed with the idea. I know people who were in her company at the pre-Harry time and found her bloody boring.
  • I've had Kate and Meghan but I don't like to brag about it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:

Baffled by hate she gets. She is a gorgeous woman. But I don't think it was stretch to think she wouldn't have been happy staying the UK opening garden fetes. She had a career and is let's face it, American. Marrying a damaged boy and let's face it - a pretty thick one - wasn't going to end well.

I also know for a fact that despite her claims not to know about Harry or the royals she was obsessed with the idea. I know people who were in her company at the pre-Harry time and found her bloody boring.

I've heard the exact same story about Kate before Megan was on the scene, so I suspect it's more an urban legend than fact.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't think that it's a secret that Edinburgh university had a certain alure for people in a certain segment of society at a certain time.

I don't judge it I just consider denying it very silly.

Catherine did , as one commentator said at the wedding, "play a blinder".
  • Kate and William were at St. Andrews.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Kate and William were at St. Andrews.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95244rgw8j3rm1nzl5s2tmbdrvdnaagob9ixytoslm3&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
  • And now it's full of even posher twats.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's not, but batter in.
  • It was when I was there last spring. They're worse than the Edinburgh uni students imo, and that was the computer science department!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I guess you see what you want to.
  • I don't regret going to St. Andrews, but after four years it was just too small and I needed out.  I'd left before William started but my sister was there at the same time. Apparently he frequented the "rugger bugger" bar on North St. I've forgotten its name but it had lovely comfy chairs and an open fire.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!