Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    I was having an argument with a mate on facebook about this

IMO it's not difficult to police a VPN, you simply refuse encrypted traffic unless it's travelling to specific IP addresses where the owners have shared the key with you

Good luck getting, say, Apple to share their keys with you, and I can't see the government blocking access to Apple services, partially due to concerns around public opinion.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Why hasn't Russia and others done that?

China has.

Edit: or something not far off it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Russia is also incorporating the The Great Firewall into its network very soon too.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    I was having an argument with a mate on facebook about this IMO it's not difficult to police a VPN, you simply refuse encrypted traffic unless it's travelling to specific IP addresses where the owners have shared the key with you
    Good luck getting, say, Apple to share their keys with you, and I can't see the government blocking access to Apple services, partially due to concerns around public opinion.

I'm talking technically not politically

Although at what point did you suddenly start thinking the government gave a fuck about public opinion. They'll start worrying about in January 2020, gives them a few months to get everyone onside before the next vote
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • They'll just run the old "we're doing it cos of terrorist paedophiles" line, with a side of "if you've done nothing wrong then you've got nothing to hide and nothing to worry about. Don't ask why MPs are exempt from this, we have nothing to hide what are you some sort of terrorist paedo? Someone lock that dodgy little oik up and start dredging through his browser history"
  • Apple will strongly resist though, and that will be a PR battle the Government won't win. I actually think Apple would be willing to pull their products from the UK rather than comply.
  • That's because Apple want to move into finance business and trust is crucial for Apple Pay etc.
  • Apple already won this battle in the US. They’ll gladly fight it again here.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sorry guys, you're missing the point there. Apple don't make a secure product, the encryption bake in the US was about the device not the traffic
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    I was having an argument with a mate on facebook about this IMO it's not difficult to police a VPN, you simply refuse encrypted traffic unless it's travelling to specific IP addresses where the owners have shared the key with you

Lad this is ludicrous- for one there's too much encrypted traffic, just to regular sites, facebooks, twitters, /et al./ let alone dealing with everything else, you're asking individual (on top of) agencies to keep a tab on on not only the whole DNS infrastructure but then apply a firewall to it. Westerners, if your idealism is applied here, will find themselves locked out of a lot of stuff, etsy, personal blogs, let's encrypt adopters, hilarity with content delivery networks, hilarity all round with dynamic IPs and cloud hosted websites, yes sir, sounds good.

Then and again- look at the country- we're all suckers we won't kick off about anything worth kicking off about- someone knick me a bag of rice, ta
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Sorry guys, you're missing the point there. Apple don't make a secure product, the encryption bake in the US was about the device not the traffic
    iMessage offers end to end encryption. I'm pretty sure that covers traffic.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Funnily enough that's why elm used to use it when dropping things on people

However within the realms of the act (top level browsing history) it doesn't count
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    It does count because they're reserving the right to decrypt data- holding browsing history is ISPs job- are you up to speed on "snooper charter" yet or do you need to go read ~200 pages and come back...
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I probably need to come back, the headline bit I read were forcing isp to hold top level history, which a tor browser would fix, assuming you had a decent speed proxy. However I was mainly talking about the next logical step for any entity wanting full access, which the simplest way would be to criss check encrypted packets against a database of keys, no match, reject packet, it goes back to previous hop and doesn't get in

If as you state they wish to be able to decrypt anything incoming, and there only five datacentres (two are for redundancy so three really) serving every page read in this country, then it wouldn't be scarily hard to implement. I decided that the only real way around was to grab a satellite and some server abroad and bypass the lot, but that's a lot if effort
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    beano wrote:
    All agents to filter and ban illicit texting- great news

My throbbing evesdropper's ready for your Privy Council.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Sorry I can't be arsed. Go sign the petition. Alternatively if mod wants to come out from hiding and tell us if we've got nothing to hide you've nothing to worry about I'll most certainly engage without being questioned directly on this matter.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    1984 being issued a Dewey number as we speak
  • Lib Dem Olney wins Richmond Park by-election.
    Another positive for remainers and generally rational people.
  • I take it they really want that runway, then?
  • All options were anti-runway so it became a brexit vote and 70% were remain despite Goldsmith being leave..I don't think she will have any more or less sway than anyone else on the runway.
  • I see, cheers.  Well Tory out and Lib Dem in has to be good news, eh?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Loldsmith.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There goes any chance of am early GE

Corbyn still unelectable though, right?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I saw a stat saying that the Labour Party have 1600 members in Richmond, but the Labour candidate only received 1,515 votes, leading to him lising his deposit. However, that could just be tactical voting on behalf of Labour supporters that won't be replicated elsewhere.
  • Not could be, definately is. They should never have stood in the first place.

I've said for a while that Lib Dems will recover, and most of their recovery will come from Tory seats they took from Lib Dems last time. And I think it will be enough to take out the Tory majority.

So the question then becomes what happens to Labour?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'll happily take tactical voting at the next election if it ousts the Tories. The left being more divided than the right is a definite problem.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Surely it doesn't matter what happens to Labour, the sooner we lose the bipartite bullshit the better. It's not as if Labour are doing anything fundamentally different to the Tories threes days

Country needs a proper opposition, not one that will garner any votes, but one that can shout loud enough that people start to believe public mood had shifted

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!