@cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Plans are easy

blueprints.jpg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • monkey wrote:
    The thing is there is no plan. There are no answers that aren't going to analysed pretty quickly and the probable effects soon spread around and then that's the story and it's chaos. The only way to avoid that is a Brexit that isn't really a Brexit. At which point the nutters kick off. She's not saying anything for a reason and it's nothing to do with cards and their proximity to her chest.

I'm seriously trying to post less in this thread and not bang on about the same old stuff, I appreciate I've long since crossed the line of tedium. It's not really working though. At least I haven't mentioned how shit Corbyn is for a while.

I enjoy reading your posts, please continue.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sleaford byelection then. Labour pushed into 4th after being overtaken by both the Lib Dems and UKIP.

Hmm.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Sleaford byelection then. Labour pushed into 4th after being overtaken by both the Lib Dems and UKIP. Hmm.

Is there such a thing as Tories deliberately reshuffling to trigger by-elections in strongholds for FUD? I don't believe for a minute that Corbyn's in a position to win a general, but most of the bys so far seem to have been Torytowns and/or Bigotsvilles. The latter will be a problem for Corbyn, with many of those he'd represent being too dense to realise it and Skipping instead.

It feels too close to a constructed anti-Corbyn narrative when we know with reasonable certainty that he has millions of supporters. Maybe it's only those few million and it stops there, but I don't think that their voices have been registered yet.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Richmond and Sleaford may never have been winnable for Labour, but there is no way that anyone could have constructed the scale of those losses aside from voter fraud.

And yes, I'm sure there are lots of Corbyn supporters out there, I'm quite sure that come a GE, London will remain a Labour city, for instance, but that doesn't mean that they can't haemorrhage seats across the rest of the country.

Still, at least there seems to be some recognition of just what a state Labour are in from within the party.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/15/labour-plans-jeremy-corbyn-relaunch-as-a-leftwing-populist

It's something. Now if they can just come up with a coherent position on Brexit we might be getting somewhere.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Another point worth mentioning is that Corbyn's millions of supporters are still a tiny fraction of the total electorate, and Labour's position in the opinion polls is dire even with those millions of supporters.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm going to shut up now, I'm pretty sure that I've already said more than enough to see me being hanged as a right-wing, red-Tory, Blairite traitor.
  • I'm sorry, but surely even you can see that Labour was fucked from the get go in Richmond, and the local party insisting on standing a candidate was the issue, not Corbyn?

Sleaford is a different issue, but everyone involved in them running in Richmond was a fucking idiot.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Labour are fucking beset by issues, you go ahead and choose whichever you want for that particular waste of a deposit. Although I will admit that the argument that the real issue here was putting a candidate up for election does tickle me.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Labour are fucking beset by issues, you go ahead and choose whichever you want for that particular waste of a deposit. Although I will admit that the argument that the real issue here was putting a candidate up for election does tickle me.

The Tories, UKIP and Greens all declined to stand a candidate. It was fucking obvious they would never stand a fucking chance. They should have not wasted everyones time, and their money, and let the Lib Dems have the best chance of taking a seat from the Tories.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I fully expect Labour to lose quite a few more working-class areas come election night, but I'm at a loss for ideas to engage those voters that don't amount to pandering to their ignorance. On the flip, I believe that Corbyn's supporters are very much re-engaged with politics (or at least a bunch of Green-minded peeps are temp supporters), but energy counts for nothing in this numbers game.

If Corbyn performs poorly at the general, we're looking down the barrel of right-wing governments for the rest of our lives.
  • We already were to be fair. But who knows, things have to change at some stage. Barring some kind of economic meltdown it's hard to see Labour doing anything at the next election.

I don't think Corbyn's the man to change things based on his performances thus far, nice enough chap and all but his polling is still atrocious and he doesn't seem to have caught the public imagination as anything other than the butt of the joke. I quite like him, but still don't think he has what it takes. He's not even been that radical, hasn't proposed anything genuinely forward thinking. The economic thinktank he appointed when he first won the leadership petered away to nothing ....

It's just a mess so far, only the odd good policy and still very much the same 'treading the middle path' approach that we saw under Miliband. A large part of it is that his party aren't behind him, and never will be, plus the press monstered him in the beginning, setting the tone straight away for any coverage of Corbyn as condescending and vaguely pisstaking. Journo's treat him as some loon they're obliged to indulge from what I've seen, compared to the seriousness with which they treat other politician's.

But he's not been great himself. I hoped Corbyn might be the start of a return to Old Labour rather than the shitty new branded version we've put up with for so long but it's not looking likely. The Labour right will let Corbyn stay in charge until the next election, then blame him and the left solely for the inevitable defeat before attempting to wrestle back control. They'll ignore that they themselves (and their forbearers) are far more to blame for Labour's decline of course. Corbyn came in when the ship was already sinking, he didn't lose Scotland and large parts of Northern England. But they'll attempt to pin it on him to boost their own career opportunities within the Party.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's looking less and less likely that a return to business as usual is going to bean option, but then it's probably going to take some sort of meltdown to really change things.

However, with that said I think I know what I'd be going for as a platform: a 4 day working week to increase the number of jobs and boost productivity, plus a UBI to make up the shortfall in wages. This would also be a step towards a post-work world.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    That's exactly their plan, Larry. They've tried to oust him multiple times and they're now resigned to the long game. And Corbyn knows.

And no, he really isn't that radical. Take away his Trident stance - a massive vote-loser - and he's pretty central; Captain Reasonable. But he has compassion, and that's Polloland gold for rarity. Lucas is probably still my favourite, but the last election really upset me as I walked home knowing that virtually everyone I passed had voted against me. That's why Corbyn's Labour appeals to me next time - at least I'll have some company.

Maybe it's not too late if we can have a collective impact. Everything from the papers to the TV to the Monarchy and MPs are largely against progressiveness and equality, though. The best we can hope for is a surge of votes from shit-on minorities who haven't voted before.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It's looking less and less likely that a return to business as usual is going to bean option, but then it's probably going to take some sort of meltdown to really change things. However, with that said I think I know what I'd be going for as a platform: a 4 day working week to increase the number of jobs and boost productivity, plus a UBI to make up the shortfall in wages. This would also be a step towards a post-work world.

Corbyn talked about Universal Basic Income, which I think would be great - or at least capture the imagination and make people think "hey, this guy's not like every other politician, expecting us to slave mercilessly until we die". But as far as I know 'vague discussion' is as far it got (which sadly seems to be as far as many good ideas get with Corbyn).

It would also put the idea front and centre, meaning a more popular Labour leader might be able to propose it seriously in the future. Coming from Corbyn it'll almost certainly be written off as Loony lefty nonsense from people who are afraid of a hard day's work, etc. But it gets the idea out there rather than only discussed in niche left wing circles.

Corbyn's very unpopularity and pessimistic future could turn into a weird, almost positive - in that it actually enables him to propose all sorts of radical ideas, when you've got nothing to lose you might as well go down being as crazy as possible. 

Not that he would, sadly.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There will be a change. Neoliberalism is patently failing large numbers of people and being rejected all over the world, and this is only in the early stages of automation, the question is what comes next. The left don't seem to be offering many good answers, sadly.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's being rejected in favour of lumpier portions.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Fuck off "afraid of hard work" you don't have to work with your hands to get fucked over
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Think you've got the wrong end of the stick cocko
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So the government are hoping to clamp down on the multi-billion-pound tax evasion industry with fines capped at £3,000. Genius.
  • So angry.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    So angry.

I know, 3-0!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Why have the transport unions in the South East been so quick to call strikes under the Tories?

To me, it felt as though this trend of tube strikes started under Boris Johnson's time in the mayor's office.

This TFL tube strike on Monday is going to be hellish.
    Couple that with all the issues with Southern Rail, Thameslink...

All this, and tbh, I have no idea what's going on in the rest of the country.

What's the key here? 
    Underinvestment, or an unheralded rise in demand?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I don't know but anything that may lead to Southern changing hands or becoming a public service is a good thing.
  • This is just uninformed opinion, but … I reckon the problems with the UK transport system stem from privatisation. Our transport network is just not able to turn a sustainable profit while also providing a good service (and treating staff fairly) – which is why it should never have been privatised.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!