• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Reduced revenue from import taxes.
    The impression a major state can leave with very little consequences.

For your first point, I think that they would rather keep trade flowing rather than make money through import taxes. Everything is so tightly bound up across Europe that the losses caused by disruptions in that will far outweigh any gains in duties.

As for the second point, I'd say that a loss of any decision-making power within the EU would be considered a pretty major consequence by the EU.

But yes, this is currently pie in the sky, but two years is a long time, fuck knows what will happen to public opinion between now and then.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Why are they only saying this now?!?!?
  • Honestly, I dont see opinion shifting in favour of the EU.
    The press won't let it and the population is too stupid to think for themselves.

Any downturn in economy or jobs will be "We need to get out faster!", any upturn will be "We haven't even left yet and look how shiny Farage's arsehole is".
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Because now there's a date, so shit just got real

What he's saying is we will oppose any proposed exit deal that doesn't allow free trade. So that is more than likely any proposed exit deal

So it's just bullshit posturing, lump one on his chin now, and his posture will go all floppy like his knees

This is likely to end in a game of brinksmanship. Given the strength (shandy bass) of our politicians it's one that could easily end in the loss of the pound. Also remember that Merkel sees herself as the leader of Europe not just of Germany (those imperialistic ambitions again) and she has an electron to contest in the autumn

That's when the negotiations start, once she's guaranteed another term, at which point she'll know a further one is unlikely, so negotiations will become realistic. Else she doesn't get re-elected, and whoever conned in sees themself as the leader of Germany, not of Europe
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Honestly, I dont see opinion shifting in favour of the EU.
    The press won't let it and the population is too stupid to think for themselves.

Any downturn in economy or jobs will be "We need to get out faster!", any upturn will be "We haven't even left yet and look how shiny Farage's arsehole is".

Give them some credit, 9 months ago you were saying it was so close people will change their minds, needs a revote due to campaign disinformation. Now suddenly every once in possession of a ballot paper is an idiot

I do understand the frustration though, and to be fair, it's not the furthest conclusion to draw
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I can't remember if I've ever been in favour of another ref.
    My stance has been that it was advisory and given how close it was it shouldn't be bearing as much influence as it has done. Although the vote was based on misinformation so probably should be thrown in the bin.
    Like you say though, our politicians are weak piss.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yeah because these idiots seem to think that ignoring the vote will lose them 52% of the vote. Despite the obvious evidence from the general ejection just before, if 52% of people were prepared to change their vote based on this issue, then UKIP would have had a landslide
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    By that logic surely they would get 48% of the vote by opposing Brexit, which would be a landslide in any GE.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Scaremongering by the looks of things to me, just like the press claiming Adrian Elms was a terrorist, because he went and got himself an Arabic name

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Also exactly when in the last 60 years was Europe at peace?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    By that logic surely they would get 48% of the vote by opposing Brexit, which would be a landslide in any GE.

You know that, I know that, but these self serving, never had a real job, zero achievement no mark politicians are just interested in the next election result

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:

That wasn't what they said.
    60 years of unparalleled European peace

Compared to European history before the EU, what we've seen over the past 60 years has been remarkably peaceful.

And which parts do you think are scaremongering exactly?
  • The 52% is just a cop-out, a denial of responsibility hidden behind the thinest veil of democracy.
  • Keep getting some gobshite comedian called Lee Hurst retweeted into my timeline telling me it'll be ok now because he lives before mobile phones and the internet and joining the EU (he was 10 when we joined) and it was great. He might have a point, before the internet I would never have had to see his puckered arse mouth whilst eating.
  • That guy hasn't had a career in 20 years, no wonder he is clutching at straws.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He did used to turn up on TV pre-internet, or at least, pre-widespread adoption of the internet.
  • I think he was replaced on They Think It's All Over by Johnathon Ross, which relaunched Wossy's career and landed him his talk show.
    Hurst is probably still bitter over that, could have been him if it wasn't for the bloody EU.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He thinks his career's all over. It is now.
  • All he does now it seems is tweet vaguely pro-Brexit stuff and then call people who disagree with him sad.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:

No EU member state has ever gone to war with another EU member state (EU, EEC, EC etc) while the EU has been a thing have they?

Seems peaceful to me.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Depends what you define as whilst the EU has been a thing, Maastricht, Nice, Lisbon? There was a jock off wall dividing the continent for around half of those 60 years, as well as British/French/American/Russian troops on (what is now) German soil

Yugoslavia tore itself apart in the nineties, and we've seen the secession and reintegration of various former Soviet states. So whilst none of them were EU members at the time, if you go with the 50s definition then Germany could easily claim they were being oppressed by other members. Hell GB and EIRE joined in the 70s, the very height of the troubles

No these two examples aren't a declared war, they were large aggressive police actions carried out are the request of the nation on whose spoil it took place, but it's not exactly peace either

I'm not saying the EU isn't a driver for some very good things, i just think that article title is overegging the pudding somewhat, and i try not to give obvious clickbait the satisfaction of my page vote
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Overegging the pudding somewhat in your opinion = obvious clickbait? I think you may need to rethink your definition of the word.

I do see where you're coming from, but I think it simply comes down to a question of whether the word 'peace' is an absolute or relative term, and I believe it can be used as both. If you can accept it as being used as a relative term, I'd say the argument holds.
  • Afaik, this is the longest period where two Western European countries haven't gone to war with each other since the Romans ran the show. Whether that's because of NATO, nuclear weapons, a hangover from WW1 and 2, the EU, globalisation, the Cold War, something else or a mixture of some or all of them, I doubt anyone can prove it one way or the other.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    So do you expect way in Europe if Britain triggers (and follows through with) Article 50?

Because that's what the title of the page implies, which is why I consider it clickbait
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Brexit could (may well not, but could) lead to an unravelling of the EU.

If the EU unravels, then the possibility of war in Europe is much greater than before.

This is all before we even factor in the greater pressures that will be put on us by climate change.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Brexit will immediately lead to war in Europe, but there is no doubt that it increases the risk.
  • If there's eg 10 things at the moment stopping us from declaring war on France, leaving the EU leaves us with, I dunno, 7. It's still inconceivable at this stage, mainly as America would not allow it. But part of the reason war is improbable is because we take for granted that European countries have integrated economies and dispute resolution mechanisms through the EU.

The article itself isn't really about that though. The title isn't representative of the content. All it really states is that the UK has benefited from the peace and security of the EU. Which really could just be interpreted as our export markets haven't been interrupted too much by war amongst other nations.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    If there's eg 10 things at the moment stopping us from declaring war on France, leaving the EU leaves us with, I dunno, 7. It's still inconceivable at this stage, mainly as America would not allow it. But part of the reason war is improbable is because we take for granted that European countries have integrated economies and dispute resolution mechanisms through the EU.

The article itself isn't really about that though. The title isn't representative of the content. All it really states is that the UK has benefited from the peace and security of the EU. Which really could just be interpreted as our export markets haven't been interrupted too much by war amongst other nations.

Plus I believe France are far better equipped than us

Though if the last sixty years have been the most peaceful in history, then maybe that isn't the status quo </devil's advocate>

Maybe the peace is in place as the greatest antagonist of the previous century now basically has what they wanted, economic and political control over most of mainland Europe

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Most of modern life isn't the status quo, most of it's better than what came before.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!