The British Politics Thread
  • monkey wrote:
    I mean, the rules are designed to only allow people to vote when the outcome affects them.
    Like when you live outside the UK in the EU and there's a referendum to decide whether the UK leaves the EU...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ireland should have been allowed to vote in your dumb Brexit referendum, seeing as it will probably be sunk by it. Cunts.
  • Nice to read B&B are concerned with my democratic rights.
    No plan to move back but still paying UK income tax and renting my house.  Would also vote for Khan purely on the annoying people who I regard as CUNTS but as mayor he hasn't been all that.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Nobody should have been allowed to vote in the referendum because it never should have happened.
  • Kow wrote:
    Ireland should have been allowed to vote in your dumb Brexit referendum, seeing as it will probably be sunk by it. Cunts.
    Scotland and Northern Ireland got to vote and it did them fuck all good

• Yossarian wrote:
    Nobody should have been allowed to vote in the referendum because it never should have happened.
    Aint that the truth

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Court of Session in Scotland has been told that Government documents say the Prime Minister will seek an extension from the EU if no EU Withdrawal Agreement is reached by 19 October

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1180088000170078208
  • I read somewhere that Scottish Law allows the court to take action where it can write to the EU if dick boy refuses to

• Enjoying Prince Harry going after The Scum and The Mirror.
    Imagine if The Sun gets shut down like NotW did. What a better country we would be in. A man can dream.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    He's going after the mail too. I told you all he seemed a decent fella.
  • Well it's very personal for him and not surprising he's had enough.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The best thing about it is he's got such a good public image the papers are going to fine it extremely hard to go after him the way the do with other people that try and take them on. I hope he destroys them. Most likely result is that they get a relatively insignificant fine though.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Because it seems a bit shitty to take part in a vote that has zero bearing on him but which does affect the lives of those of us living here.

I'm saying he's lived there, could live there again, and may have family there.He may well have a vested interest in voting. 
    Yossarian wrote:
    Why are you so desperate that he try to circumvent the fact that this vote has clearly been set up in such a way as to exclude him for the reasons given above and vote anyway?

Because I live abroad and have a British passport. I still care about my country. I grew up there. I respect and want my country to get better. I like democracy. Not democracy for my own ends. Actual democracy.

If Charlie has just moved overseas, he is probably still registered to vote. The register is what matters.

If he has been taken out of the register, he can vote as an overseas elector, but, if I recall correctly, that's only at parliamentary elections. Since GLA is elected according to the local govt franchise, I suspect that won't help him vote in 2020. But worth doing now as a general election could come any second. You register via notional residence at your last place of residence. You probably want to vote in person or appoint a proxy because postal votes can get delayed being sent oversees.

That goes for you too cinty, 15 years from your move. Govt policy is I believe a vote for life for overseas electors.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Heidi Allen has joined the Lib Dems.

One less number to not be supporting Corbyn then.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    No Brexit looking increasingly likely. Government openly threatening nations who block no deal - that's their coming plan to block bypass the Benn act then as predicted (though I don't woe understand it, given eu member states won't be able to have individual trade deals anyway?).

The utter shit show rumbles on.
  • Boris, Cummings and the whole gang of shits are cornered rats lashing out viciously. The Benn act totally fucked their plan and now they are desperate and irrational.

There is no way around the Benn act on this side of the Channel. No EU state will go it alone to veto it, it would leave them deeply lacking in favour when they want something. We can't offer any EU nation anything that the EU can't better.

MEPs have also already voted in favour of offering an extension if requested, all be it in a non-binding vote. That passed 544 to 126 with 38 abstaining .

This is all bluster and panic from the brexiteer side. It will get nastier as well as we lead up to it but you can bet your arse Boris will request that extension even if he forces it on the courts.
  • The letter will get lost in the post or the address will be incorrect. Or the dog will eat it the night before. Or they will mix up when to send it. 

I'd put nothing past this government. No deal is 11 days away, they just have to keep their head down. 

Pricks.
    SFV - reddave360
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    So Parliament's been suspended again?
    We're heading for no-deal, aren't we...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • No. Not this year anyway.
    I've not seen a single thing suggesting a sensible way in which they can circumnavigate the Benn act.
    Even if they refuse it there is time to take action.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    That's kinda' reassuring... The Cons seem very passive at the moment, and I wondered why that was...
    Felt like they had a plan of some kind. But if there's another extension, then at least now we can count on either an election or referendum.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Their plan is to cause chaos and blame it on everyone else to prepare for a GE where they campaign on a "People vs Parliament" platform.

If the next gov is a Tory or Tory/Farage government then we will leave without a deal.
  • The news today is all about negotiations collapsing. Truth is they collapsed the day Boris was voted in as PM.
  • Yeah, hes done no actual negotiation.
  • I think they plan to try and make it undesirable to the EU to grant the extension. The publicising of the Merkel conversation doesn't read right. Merkel has stayed out of things for the most part, why would she now be demanding that Northern Ireland stay in? That wasn't even part of the WA. Which the EU would still accept.

The stitch up is on guys. Boris won't send the request on the grounds that the EU are only interested in a deal which breaks up the union and that would be enough of a justification to not ask for an extension as the EU would be seen as being in bad faith.

The UK will leave on the 31st October and the aftershock will be felt through Europe for decades, all so some rich shits can get richer by shorting the markets. Once article 50 was called, it was only a matter of time.
    SFV - reddave360
  • That's Team Boris' loophole to achieve Brexit on halloween?
    Hmmm...
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Boris won't send the request on the grounds that the EU are only interested in a deal which breaks up the union and that would be enough of a justification to not ask for an extension as the EU would be seen as being in bad faith.

He will swiftly be taken to court and ordered to send the request.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    He has to apply for the extension by the 19th doesn't he? That leaves 11 days for the opposition or the courts to force it through. He's certainly not winning a vote of no confidence if he refuses, and the lib dems would have to get on board with a Corbyn interim govt or be accused of facilitating a no deal brexit.
  • Trying to predict anything seems crazy these days, but I can't see them weaseling out of the extension or convincing another member to reject it. An election based on the most divisive campaign imaginable seems likely, with them hoping there's just enough Brexit fueled anger and disunity among the remoaners to get them back in with a majority.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!