The British Politics Thread
  • Lads we cant have people knowing they can get better rights for themselves via the ballot box, that will stop us from exploiting them by making them fight with each other over people coming over here taking their jobs being the reason their working conditions are so shit and not because we can just keep their wages and prospects in the shitter to maximise the money we can take out at the other end for the shareholders, aka ourselves.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Another entry into the vast cannon of utter pish the guardian has written on Scottish indi:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/16/boris-johnson-scottish-independence-nicola-sturgeon-snp

The argument that time is on Johnson's side is ridiculous.  Scottish people are born with a chip on their shoulder and indignation comes easy.  Denying another vote will increase the clamor not diminish.

The English left are so out of touch on this its embarrassing.  At least the tories are honest enough to admit they don't give a fuck about Scotland.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Load of pish.

But, it's true the snp goal of another Indyref this year is clean out the window. Or at least, an Indyref with Westminster consent. I'm not an ultra militant indy supporter, I'm willing to wait and see what the snps next move will be, but they're alienating a lot of their core support in the way they're handling this.
  • a vote without consent is pointless.
    "I'm willing to wait and see what the snps next move will be, but they're alienating a lot of their core support in the way they're handling this"  >> can you expand on this?

• There's an increasing amount of independence supporters that think the snp are being too soft by not just immediately withdrawing their mps from Westminster and declaring UDI. Wings over Scotland and Craig Murray seem to be leading the charge. There's a lot of people that voted snp but don't necessarily support them, but they want indy and the snp are the best chance of that. There's a lot of frustration in the indy camp, because the snp will say things like 'indyref2 in 2020!' then Westminster just say 'lol, nope'.

Like I said, I'm unsure what the next move will be. Legislation is going through holyrood just now to get support yet again for a referendum, but it's about as effective as throwing meringues at a castle, Westminster will just continue to tell them to fuck off, because they can. The snp have unequivocally ruled out a catalonia style ref, there's no point in taking it to any of the UK courts, as the tories will just rush through legislation to change things to their ends.

Craig Murray suggests going to the un, and using the same argument the UK used when (I think) Kosovo or one of those countries was going for independence. Its on one of his blog posts, but the gist of the uks argument in that case was if a nation wishes to secede, the laws of the larger nation don't really matter, every country has a right to self determination. I'm wondering if after this next request gets denied if that'll be the route the snp go down.

Another thought that occurred to me (while stoned as fuck) was rather than a referendum on Scottish independence, hold a referendum on withdrawing from the act of union. Essentially the same thing, but they could frame it in a way that says 'we're still in the UK, just not in a union of parliaments'.

The EU are staying quiet about it all officially, but I wonder if that will change come February 1st. Right now, they say they won't get involved in the internal politics of member States, but I wonder if that will change once the UK is out. I hope that then, the EU will finally say out loud they'd allow Scotland back in, it helps them anyway, we'd be bringing most of the uks resources back in, so i don't see why they wouldn't support our bid to be independent and rejoin the EU. And it'd piss Westminster off immensely.

To sum up: fuck knows. Only thing that's reasonably certain is that there likely won't be an Indyref in 2020, which gives the tories the opportunity to shout about the snp breaking manifesto commitments.
  • I wonder what the response would be to Sturgeon sending the request every single day.
  • I suspect the snp will have a 'big announcement' on or around the 6th of April (think that's the right date) to coincide with the 700th anniversary of the declaration of arbroath. Just dunno what it'll be.

EDIT: just realised that's not an original thought, read it in a wings/Murray blog post.
  • good post hawbawjaws - agree on the EU aspect, can see them being more overt but not sure that will kick in until the transition period ends (i.e. almost a years time)

Removing MPs from Westminster doesn't achieve anything imo, if I was an SNP voter who didn't want indi (I am sure there are some) I would be rightfully pissed off I had voted for and MP who is not standing up for my constituency at Westminster.

Agree on both the catolnia ref and legal pursuit both are a waste of time / effort / money.

Still think this is a when not if, much like Brexit once the genie is out the bottle etc.

• and to add, keep up the dope smoking

• and to add, keep up the dope smoking

That's a given. There's folk that have my weed intake to thank for them still being alive. That, and the fact I can't afford a decent lawyer.
  • The SNP can't really withdraw their MP's unless they explicitly stand on a platform of abstaining.
  • I'm sorry if this causes offence but I'm not really in the know so I apologise in advance, but what exactly do Scotland want if they go independent? I cant help but feel its like the UK leaving the EU, in the current climate it makes less sense to be a small individual nation. 

I guess to my mind I wonder that if Scotland had more power over its running would that be enough (somewhat similar to HawBawJaws comment on being in the UK  but not sharing parliment)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Not have a deranged right wing government seems a pretty good reason to leave. As does being able to rejoin the EU.
  • I should imagine Job 1 for Scotland would be rejoining the EU making them apart of something bigger again.
  • That’s likely to mean a hard border now though. What with the Uk leaving the single market and CU.
  • Doesn't matter.
    The Scottish border is significantly easier than the Irish border, both politically and geographically.
  • That comparison is often made, by both sides.

For me, as an indy supporter, it's about my vote actually mattering. As I've said on here a few times, my vote is worth less than an English badgers, from a purely mathematical perspective. The tories haven't won in Scotland since something like 1955, but we keep getting lumbered with them.

And, as an indy supporter, its easy to say 'scexit and brexit are two completely different things!', it's equally as easy for a unionist to argue they're not. For me, brexit is about (let's be honest) England withdrawing into itself, because it still believes its the biggest best country in the world and none of those bally Europeans will tell them what to do, by jove! And taking the rest of the UK with them. Scexit on the other hand is about being independent, but equal to other countries on the world stage and working with them, rather than against. And that's why I'd like to live in an independent Scotland that is an equal member state of the EU. The UK has done better in the EU. And forgetting that for a minute, every economical prediction I've seen has at the least said the UK will be worse off out of the EU. The UK and EU are two completely different types of union, its like comparing apples with gammon.

Your second paragraph sounds a lot like the 'devo max' they wheeled Gordon brown out to try and sell just before the Indyref went down in 2014. Never really got a clear picture of what that would be, and labour subsequently got pumped, so i guess we'll never know.

Obviously I don't speak for the entire indy movement, these are just my ramblings.

EDIT: @reddave, those other posts went up as I was typing mine.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Doesn't matter. The Scottish border is significantly easier than the Irish border, both politically and geographically.

True, but the border could become an issue in a similar manner, depending on how many die hard unionists there are. But at least also a bit different in that the border will be with the former country and not a contested part of the Island looking for independence.

Joining the EU seems the obvious choice but wouldn't Scotland have to show it can be independent first? Dont get me wrong, I'd love Scotland to be straight in to the EU (Ireland needs another english speaking ally) but I'm not sure if the EU would be willing to take that on. Although at least joining the EU sorts out the currency issue.

I suppose the other question, is Scotland better served by voting SNP or backing up left wing parties in the UK (such as Labour) I'm not clear on the whole Scottish labour thing.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Wings actually did an interesting article today about Scottish Labour, worth a wee read.

Regarding EU letting Scotland in, I'm always puzzled when this is presented as an argument against independence (not that that's how you presented it). We are already a European country, I consider myself a Scottish EU citizen. We already meet all the criteria, and regarding currency - we don't have to adopt the euro, we can keep using the pound (or any other currency we like tbf, this was proven in 2014). It's not like we're a 3rd world developing country that has some way to go before we could be allowed in the EU - we're already in it! The issue isn't getting into the EU, it's getting taken out of it against our will in the first place. And again, I honestly can't imagine why the EU wouldn't want a socially responsible, well resourced country joining its ranks, I honestly can't puzzle that out.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    Wings actually did an interesting article today about Scottish Labour, worth a wee read. Regarding EU letting Scotland in, I'm always puzzled when this is presented as an argument against independence (not that that's how you presented it). We are already a European country, I consider myself a Scottish EU citizen. We already meet all the criteria, and regarding currency - we don't have to adopt the euro, we can keep using the pound (or any other currency we like tbf, this was proven in 2014). It's not like we're a 3rd world developing country that has some way to go before we could be allowed in the EU - we're already in it! The issue isn't getting into the EU, it's getting taken out of it against our will in the first place. And again, I honestly can't imagine why the EU wouldn't want a socially responsible, well resourced country joining its ranks, I honestly can't puzzle that out.

I was under the impression that because Scotland became part of the EU under the UK, it cant stay in or simply rejoin. I'm not sure if I'm just under that impression or that was defined but I have that in my head anyway.

Regarding currency, I suppose thats a tricky one. I guess the easiest thing is to stay part of sterling until you get into the EU and then move to the EU (If England does shrink further and further off the world stage, I cant imagine Sterling being an ideal currency for the Scots, but again I could be well wrong)

The next few years will certainly be interesting for the whole of the British Isles but I'd love it if you joined us, love it.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I think that's what a large part of the issue is - is Scotland a country, or just a region of the UK. I think under Scottish law, the people are sovereign, it depends on whether or not that'll be recognised on the world stage. Going back to the uks arguments for Kosovo or wherever it was, they successfully argued that it doesn't have to be unanimously recognised, just as long as it is. They also said that the wish to secede would often be repressed, in fact it was to be expected, but players like the UK and EU had a duty to support smaller states in their efforts for self determination.

I'd love it as well mate. As you said, interesting times ahead.
  • As a half Scot half English person I’m very torn. I understand most of the arguments for independence (mostly have sympathy with the whole “why the fuck are we always ruled by Tory bastards”).

But without Scottish progressives, it’s likely English and welsh (and for time being, northern Irish) will be stuck with tories for a very long time. “That’s their problem” yeah true.

So much of it depends on what the EU say and do. I doubt much will be voiced before the transition period is done, but if they say “welcome” then surely it’s the only sane decision Scots can make in the name of self determination and strength. On the other hand of the EU aren’t so keen I think it’s a huge risk, and would prefer Scottish progressives to help us kick out the Tory scum.
  • A very valid point funk. All my musings are based on the assumption that the EU will welcome us once we're independent, you're right, they might not. But, in that scenario, I still reckon an independent Scotland out of the EU will fare better than a Westminster governed Scotland outside the EU.

In fact, forgetting the EU even exists for a moment, I still fancy Scotlands chances more as an independent country than in the UK. The tories we have now literally scare the shit out of me for my boys future. I cannot fathom how anyone would want to be led by that shower of fuckwits.
  • I'd prefer a federal UK, with Scotland in. Independence will be a hard task even after a referendum voting for it. Brexit taught us that.

And anyway, with a resurgent English nationalist country south of the border, there is no guarantee thinks go well for Scotland (or Ireland for that matter.) Didn't go well before. England dwarfs the other countries in the union, there is no way around that.

Leveraging the prospect of independence for a federated state seems the better bet imo.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • And anyway, with a resurgent English nationalist country south of the border, there is no guarantee thinks go well for Scotland (or Ireland for that matter.) Didn't go well before. England dwarfs the other countries in the union, there is no way around that.

All the more reason to gtfo as quickly as possible.
  • The horse has bolted but I do wonder what Scotland could have done with the North Sea revenue when you look at what has happened in Norway
    Instead the revenue paid for the falklands war

• I have strong ties to Scotland.
    My Granny is from Glasgow and is the head of the family, easily.
    My brother moved up there in April and his mrs and her family are all Scottish.
    My auntie and her lot were up there for over a decade, my cousins consider themselves Scottish despite being born in England.

I feel my sensibilities relate heavily to those up there.

Prior to Brexit I was quite against Scottish independence although very pro devolution. I really didnt want to break those links and as shit as Westminster could be I could see a way that Scotland could be satisfied, although through massive change.

With Brexit happening and the left and even centre utterly destroyed down here I say have at it.
    Do what you can to get away because you will get fuck all from this government.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    And anyway, with a resurgent English nationalist country south of the border, there is no guarantee thinks go well for Scotland (or Ireland for that matter.) Didn't go well before. England dwarfs the other countries in the union, there is no way around that.

All the more reason to gtfo as quickly as possible.

You've not understood my point, if England goes full on English jingoistic nationalist, scotland's gonna get fucked. I mean, potentially, militarily.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Bang on, 2014 there was “don’t leave the uk comfort blanket”, post Brexit that has gone.
    No way does the eu not take Scotland with open arms - it is exactly the sort of country / society / economy which the eu laps up.

• … if England goes full on English jingoistic nationalist, scotland's gonna get fucked. I mean, potentially, militarily.

That’s a long term worry, I think. And, y’know … we’ve faced down tanks in the middle of Glasgow before.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!