The British Politics Thread
  • Funkstain wrote:
    It’s just ... dumb. It’s not like it’s some principled stand on something she believes in, like Corbyn’s “we need to talk to terrorists to disarm them” thing that some of us can get behind. It’s just an actress talking shit about Israel (even if true!) so there’s just no need to “endorse” any of it. It’s just dumb

Do you think that was what she was endorsing, or perhaps was it the bit that talked about Labour?
  • Funkstain wrote:
    It’s just ... dumb. It’s not like it’s some principled stand on something she believes in, like Corbyn’s “we need to talk to terrorists to disarm them” thing that some of us can get behind. It’s just an actress talking shit about Israel (even if true!) so there’s just no need to “endorse” any of it. It’s just dumb

Do you think that was what she was endorsing, or perhaps was it the bit that talked about Labour?

The clue's in the fucking tweet! I think this is a disgraceful decision, and it really reveals what Starmer is about.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I'm 100% sure that she 

a) doesn't think there is anything antisemitic in that article
    b) is pleased that someone was using a relatively large platform to praise Corbyn
    c) used that same platform to mildly dunk on Starmer
    d) certainly didn't expect to get sacked over it

I'm 100% sure that I

a) don't really think there's anything antisemitic in that article
    b) think that she was dumb to retweet it
    c) think she should have exercised better political judgment and suffered for it
    d) Wish Starmer had more balls but understand it as a pragmatic decision
  • It’s super disappointing and sets us up for more factionalism / purges :(
  • To get into power, Labour need probably 3 or 4 of these fine gentlemen to vote for them. 
    SNw1JYh.jpg

How do you do that against the Tories? 

Blair - did it but sold the party's soul in the process.
    Brown - couldn't do it. In fairness, was pitted against David Cameron who is a natural pink man. 
    Miliband - barely realised he had to
    Corbyn - denied that he had to appeal to this bunch and thought the problem would magically solve itself. 
    Starmer - ???? I dunno but it seems to be don't give the Tories a single thing they can use to drive a wedge between you and the pink men above. Don't end up in an interview trying to defend someone in your shadow cabinet from some fresh accusation of trumped up anti-semitic bullshit. Don't fall into any of the obvious traps that Jeremy Corbyn walked blindly into because if someone's laid a giant fucking trap in your path, well that's the way you were going anyway and it would be unprincipled to change path. All this stuff is just noise. We're miles away from an election. Starmer can define himself when he wants. It's better to be weak sauce now and come out stronger when he needs to. Instead of being hectored into it to please you pricks who will never be satisfied anyway. The only actual test will be the manifesto they produce. IF he manages to stay the right side of the above voters, that manifesto will get a better hearing than anything Beardo came out with. In all likelihood, the manifesto is a test he's going to fail. It won't have the wholesale change this country needs, and won't go far enough on climate change. But who knows, the whole country / world could be utterly fucked by then. 

I don't think he's put a foot wrong. No one senior in Labour is getting into any of this pathetic social network crap after today. Leave that stuff to the Tories. Rise above it. RLB didn't deserve to be sacked but who gives a fuck.
  • I'm glad we've at least now gone from accusing her of dog whistles to admitting she didn't deserve to be sacked.
  • I thought I was pretty clear in accusing Peake of mild dog whistling?

You can take any sort of victory you like out of this. I maintain she was dumb. She has literally thousands of people desperately following everything she does with the aim of

1) disparaging and undermining her
    2) disparaging and undermining labour and Starmer by extension and through implied infighting and factionalism

It’s a time to be super careful about what you say and endorse she wasn’t and paid the price
  • I'm glad we've at least now gone from accusing her of dog whistles to admitting she didn't deserve to be sacked.
    Actually that's where we started when I called it a ludicrous overreaction and I said people shouldn't be sacked for liking and retweeting. I am also glad it happened. I have no idea what RLB thought when she first tweeted it. But I don't put any stock in any politician's 'clarifications' when they've caused an inadvertent shit storm.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I thought I was pretty clear in accusing Peake of mild dog whistling?

I thought you had walked that back given subsequent posts.

I think Gonz might be right that its better for the British left to forget Israel exists and never mention them ever again since any mention of the state ends up with this horseshit.

Its morally abhorrent, but if the calculation is you can't do much about Israel, but you stand a better chance of winning elections here I can see the appeal.
  • Minneapolis and various other US PDs received training from the IDF, usually through the police unions. Israeli human rights groups have repeatedly highlighted the IDF's brutality towards Palestinians in occupied Palestine, including (inter alia), by using knee-to-neck restraints.

This is highly relevant to the discussion of the US BLM protests. Obama's reforms failed because the unions were able to continue the aggressive them-and-us training approaches. A major theme of that is the treatment by the police of the public as a hostile entity, as opposed to fellow citizens whom they serve. What better exemplar of that is there than PDs being trained by an occupying army.

Now please explain to me, how someone pointing this out is "dog whistling" or - worse- as the guardian put it, peddling conspiracy theory. It is a fact.

When conducting a debate about the militarisation of the US PDs, are we now to airbrush out any mention of the IDF? Or of Israel? You cannot mention Israel at all if it it is a pejorative mention - that's antisemitism.

Anyone who supports this point of view is spineless and cannot have my support. I know mOnkey is gonna bang on about how we need to accept Mussolini to avoid Hitler, but I don't care. I prefer honesty. We've been there before.

Anyway, I told you all about Starmer, didn't I. Don't say you weren't warned
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I thought you had walked that back given subsequent posts. I think Gonz might be right that its better for the British left to forget Israel exists and never mention them ever again since any mention of the state ends up with this horseshit. Its morally abhorrent, but if the calculation is you can't do much about Israel, but you stand a better chance of winning elections here I can see the appeal.
    Pretty much.
    Unfortunately they have done a number on Labour over this anti-semitism thing and the plight of Palestine may have to wait until Labour can get into power. Or at least further down the line when the rags drop the Tories seeing a new gov on the horizon.

It is terrible that it has come to it but it is the current reality we find ourselves in.

This isn't really even about the intention in the article, or RLB's reading of it. It was an inevitable test of Starmer's anti-semitism stance and anything short of a sacking would have seen him dragged over the coals and tarred with the same shit that Corbyn got, which he would have spent the next few years trying to shake off. The fact it happened to be the most senior positioned Momentum member was just the icing on the cake.
    I bet in between her tweet and her sacking Daily Mail articles and opinions were already being written.
  • Funkstain wrote:

I think Gonz might be right that its better for the British left to forget Israel exists and never mention them ever again since any mention of the state ends up with this horseshit.

Its morally abhorrent, but if the calculation is you can't do much about Israel, but you stand a better chance of winning elections here I can see the appeal.

Just to be clear - that was and is my view about UK POSITIONS ON ISRAEL-PALESTINE FOREIGN POLICY.

I don't and will never condone or accept this kind of Proscription on actual facts. Describing reporting the fact of IDF training US PDs as an antisemitic trope, or a conspiracy theory, is beyond what I'm willing to condone. THIS WASNT EVEN A DISCUSSION OF ISRAEL OR PALESTINE.

• Funkstain wrote:
    I thought you had walked that back given subsequent posts. I think Gonz might be right that its better for the British left to forget Israel exists and never mention them ever again since any mention of the state ends up with this horseshit. Its morally abhorrent, but if the calculation is you can't do much about Israel, but you stand a better chance of winning elections here I can see the appeal.
    Minneapolis and various other US PDs received training from the IDF, usually through the police unions. Israeli human rights groups have repeatedly highlighted the IDF's brutality towards Palestinians in occupied Palestine, including (inter alia), by using knee-to-neck restraints. This is highly relevant to the discussion of the US BLM protests. Obama's reforms failed because the unions were able to continue the aggressive them-and-us training approaches. A major theme of that is the treatment by the police of the public as a hostile entity, as opposed to fellow citizens whom they serve. What better exemplar of that is there than PDs being trained by an occupying army. Now please explain to me, how someone pointing this out is "dog whistling" or - worse- as the guardian put it, peddling conspiracy theory. It is a fact. When conducting a debate about the militarisation of the US PDs, are we now to airbrush out any mention of the IDF? Or of Israel? You cannot mention Israel at all if it it is a pejorative mention - that's antisemitism. Anyone who supports this point of view is spineless and cannot have my support. I know mOnkey is gonna bang on about how we need to accept Mussolini to avoid Hitler, but I don't care. I prefer honesty. We've been there before. Anyway, I told you all about Starmer, didn't I. Don't say you weren't warned
    Pennies dropping all over the shop.
  • There will indeed be a lot of very disappointed “journalists” who’d hoped this would get them on Cunmings’ good side by attacking Starmer over this.

@ dante: It was a dog whistle to attack Israel, not anti Semitic. I don’t believe the two are the same thing.
  • Monkey apparantly already arrived at throwing Palastinians under the bus.
  • My disappointment regarding RLB is to do with her stupidity in needlessly retweeting a celeb interview. If you think she did it “because diamond” then sure - I think she did it because it allows her to endorse criticism of Starmer, whatever.

It’s a shit political move, and the fact that the article contained something about Israel gave her opponents, including Starmer, all the ammo they needed.

I’m certainly not disputing the facts presented in the article. I would be interested to know what Starmer could have done instead.
  • Well his office could have drafted a different tweet for her clarification for one.
  • Well his office could have drafted a different tweet for her clarification for one.
    Starmer probably wanted to make an example of her.
  • Monkey apparantly already arrived at throwing Palastinians under the bus.
    Yes I’ve understood the unfortunate situation for a long time now. Pleased you’ve made it.
  • Just sack her then. Don't stitch her up and then sack her. Thats going to explode the unity he says he wants.
  • He doesn't want unity, he wants to re-label blairism. The man has no ideas. The people around him are the same
    Just same as before, smaller dildo - easier on the eye as well. It's pink and cute, now bend over.
  • He probably does want unity. But he definitely wants his big moment where he ‘purges anti-semitism’ as well.
  • He wants the same unity Corbyn wanted. For everyone who disagrees to shut up. That’s the only unity any of them ever want.
  • Funkstain wrote:

Just to be clear - that was and is my view about UK POSITIONS ON ISRAEL-PALESTINE FOREIGN POLICY.

I don't and will never condone or accept this kind of Proscription on actual facts. Describing reporting the fact of IDF training US PDs as an antisemitic trope, or a conspiracy theory, is beyond what I'm willing to condone. THIS WASNT EVEN A DISCUSSION OF ISRAEL OR PALESTINE.

I don’t know about any of this btw, but Maxine Peake has walked back on it saying it was an ‘inaccurate assumption’.
  • He doesn't want unity, he wants to re-label blairism. The man has no ideas. The people around him are the same
    Just same as before, smaller dildo - easier on the eye as well. It's pink and cute, now bend over.

Argh my secret kink exposed

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    PMQs... Fuck me. Johnson thinks he's scoring points in the Oxford Union.

I am sick and tired of the irritating useless cunt.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/israelis-training-us-police-on-large-scale-amnesty/ar-BB14S1z9

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-us-police-training-end-knee-neck-protests
    Since his death in late May, footage of Floyd pleading: "I can't breathe" and "they're going to kill me," has emerged alongside videos and stills of Israeli security forces taking similar positions over the necks of unarmed Palestinians in the occupied West Bank and besieged Gaza Strip.

The Israeli police force has tried to distance itself from any perceived similarities, issuing statements denouncing what happened and stating that its officers are not trained to use knee-to-neck techniques. 
    But photographs taken as recently as March have shown Israeli forces using the same restraint on unarmed protesters just yards from the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem's Old City.

The damning imagery has revived complaints against US programmes that send American police officers to train under Israeli law enforcement and military officials, as nationwide calls for defunding and abolishing American police departments have taken hold.
  • I don’t doubt the facts reported one tiny little bit. I regret the sacking of RLB due to her silly retweet. Morally I’m bankrupt I think
  • More debate, less sacking over silly retweets pls.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    More DUP goodness.

Black Lives Matter is "anti family".

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/black-lives-matter-branded-violent-18481335
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!