The British Politics Thread
  • Sedwill has finally been forced out by Cummings then.
    I expect things to get stupider.
  • What's all this about a labour mp and JK Rowling?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    What's all this about a labour mp and JK Rowling?

In as brief an explanation as possible.

In the trans rights debate there are a lot of people who counter it with women's right particularly in regards to women only safe spaces (public toilets mainly).

JK Rowling is one of those people. She has gone in quite hard over the years and recently felt the need to give context by explaining how she was sexually assaulted.

Labour MP accused her of using her sexual assault to get out of some pretty hard flak she was recieving.
  • right I get it. It's a very fine line to tread here, with trying to not belittle the fact she was sexually assaulted but her using it as part of a defence for her view points.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    What's all this about a labour mp and JK Rowling?

In as brief an explanation as possible.

In the trans rights debate there are a lot of people who counter it with women's right particularly in regards to women only safe spaces (public toilets mainly).

JK Rowling is one of those people. She has gone in quite hard over the years and recently felt the need to give context by explaining how she was sexually assaulted.

Labour MP accused her of using her sexual assault to get out of some pretty hard flak she was recieving.

Was this MO perchance male?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Good to see that Boris is going to spend his way out of trouble. If this were Cameron we'd all be royally screwed, the austerity/Brexit fuckwit. 

Spending after the war worked and it'll work again as long as it's seen through. Sadly, only the Tories could make this plan and get it approved by the public, most of whom genuinely still equate Labour with Eastern block poverty. It's alright if the posh ones do it but if Corbyn had the same plan, which he did, he'd be shown the door, which he was.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I am sure it is a strategy to channel public money into the hands of the elite, however it is still a better strategy than austerity.
  • £1B doesn't sound like a lot to me

But then I am very privileged

Also as Liv points out, surely no-one has any doubt that this state money will be used to subsidise "favourite" private companies to "re-imagine" the state?
  • Funkstain wrote:
    £1B doesn't sound like a lot to me But then I am very privileged

£1B is peanuts. I think that's just a minor schools thing. A green revolution is the thing. It might cost 1T to get it done right but it's really the only option.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Problem is Johnson doesn't have a titan like Clement Attlee or Earnest Bevin breathing down his neck.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    £1B doesn't sound like a lot to me

But then I am very privileged

Also as Liv points out, surely no-one has any doubt that this state money will be used to subsidise "favourite" private companies to "re-imagine" the state?
    This is already happening re: schools and the state giving them money to spend on tuition. That will all end up in the Boys' pockets.
  • Good to see that Boris is going to spend his way out of trouble. If this were Cameron we'd all be royally screwed, the austerity/Brexit fuckwit. 

Spending after the war worked and it'll work again as long as it's seen through. Sadly, only the Tories could make this plan and get it approved by the public, most of whom genuinely still equate Labour with Eastern block poverty. It's alright if the posh ones do it but if Corbyn had the same plan, which he did, he'd be shown the door, which he was.

Thing is after watching the tories throw a shit load of money away to apps that don't work and companies that filed for bankruptcy 3 months before being awarded a massive contract, I'd have a lot more faith. As it is I don't trust them with spending public money at all.
  • I trust them to spend it badly.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    £1B doesn't sound like a lot to me But then I am very privileged
    £1B is peanuts. I think that's just a minor schools thing. A green revolution is the thing. It might cost 1T to get it done right but it's really the only option.

Has there been a commitment to this? All I've read is hazy comments about "no austerity this time", which commits them to calling whatever they do something other than "austerity" I suppose.
  • The Tories have been promising investment money since 2017. Johnson has said no austerity and also he doesn’t think the term applies to the past ten years anyway.
  • I noticed that. Johnson already working to reframe the meaning of ‘austerity’ so that he can claim what he does next is ‘not austerity’.
  • they’ll probably cite all the corona debt we’ve incurred due to their incompetence as proof of a big increase in spending/investment
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Whatever cash is used to flood the system will be schemed to end up in crony's pockets. That's the only thing you can be sure off.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • What a cop out. Turns out his spending plans are actually tiny, too reliant on the private sector and seemingly without any real structural and social change. This was the moment and he's blown it, the tit.
  • What a cop out. Turns out his spending plans are actually tiny, too reliant on the private sector and seemingly without any real structural and social change. This was the moment and he's blown it, the tit.

No no no you've got it all wrong there is no evidence whatsoever that Johnson's government and his advisors are nothing beyond catchy, easily headlined slogans, and in fact contain no substance whatsoever.

Build build build!

Shovel Ready

Boris' New Deal

Rooseveltian (not sure who that one's aimed at, not his actual base one assumes)
  • I remember George Osborne in 2015 gave a big speech about the Tories being ‘the builders’ and kick starting a whole load of big new projects. He spent the next 6 months getting photographed in a hard hat and yellow jacket. Then May gave a similar speech a couple of years later. Now Johnson.

It’s cover to rip up the planning laws and bypass existing environmental safeguards by the looks of it.
  • 200.gif

I did actually believe he was going to go for it. He has the ego but not the balls.
  • If you think new build houses are low quality with the existing red tape just wait until you step inside one in a couple of years. 

A Boris box.
  • I'm honestly not sure why you would have thought he would have done.

But this seems to be Johnsons talent. Get people to believe whatever they want to believe about him. "This proven liar wouldn't lie to me would he? Not about this?
  • monkey wrote:
    If you think new build houses are low quality with the existing red tape just wait until you step inside one in a couple of years.  A Boris box.
    PassionateInfantileAnchovy-size_restricted.gif
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    If you think new build houses are low quality with the existing red tape just wait until you step inside one in a couple of years. 

A Boris box.

They can save even more money and the environment by using the recycled cladding taken off all those high rise multis post Grenfell.
  • monkey wrote:
    If you think new build houses are low quality with the existing red tape just wait until you step inside one in a couple of years.  A Boris box.
    They can save even more money and the environment by using the recycled cladding taken off all those high rise multis post Grenfell.

The problem there is that it's still on most of them.
  • He does need to do something for the Labour seats he's won. Hot air won't cut it. Public spending on infrastructure is also pretty easy - it will give him a load of actual stuff to point to as accomplishments, he won't have to pay for it - that'll be some other PM's problem, the covid impact on the economy can only be countered with investment, he'll need to keep people in work during Brexit too. It surprises me that he's not come up with any money at all. It did seem like they recognised the need.  

The usual dynamic with this stuff is the PM and Chancellor and inner circle decide on what's in a budget. Then the PM cherry picks the best stuff and announces it before the Chancellor's speech. Either Johnson is letting Sunak get the limelight (or blame from the right) or there really is nothing here. They've put their heads together and come up with some stuff that will help property developers shit out piss poor flats more quickly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!