The British Politics Thread
  • monkey wrote:
    If you think new build houses are low quality with the existing red tape just wait until you step inside one in a couple of years. 

A Boris box.

They can save even more money and the environment by using the recycled cladding taken off all those high rise multis post Grenfell.
    Have a little bit of history in your very own home! Will likely push the price up.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    200.gif

I did actually believe he was going to go for it. He has the ego but not the balls.

He has no substance. I don't understand why you keep giving him the benifit of the doubt.
  • I'm honestly not sure why you would have thought he would have done. But this seems to be Johnsons talent. Get people to believe whatever they want to believe about him. "This proven liar wouldn't lie to me would he? Not about this?

It's not so much him as the opportunity. Barring another world war a chance to shake things up doesn't come along very often, and I thought he might have the ego to try and really stick his neck out.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The opportunity is huge. Boris' ambition and ability is not.
  • Also, the planet is fucked so somebody needs to do something pretty sharpish.
  • It's not so much him as the opportunity. Barring another world war a chance to shake things up doesn't come along very often, and I thought he might have the ego to try and really stick his neck out.

I don't understand why you think he would want to shake things up though. The status quo works great for him.
  • Yeah but he does want a statue.
  • We could save time and resources and just throw him in the fucking Thames.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Bohnson wants to have the ambition to be 'Rooseveltian' or 'Churchillian' but has no fucking idea, apart from trying to come up with snappy slogans and making constant references to the imagined glories of the past, how to do any of it. He's a second rate journalist and entitled rich boy playing at being a leader.

Plus, as Dante says, he's too comfortable with the status quo and shaking things up to the degree that is needed would make him very unpopular with his current and future paymasters.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • What he needs is a three word name then he will be able to turn himself into the memes that have worked so well.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    "Reptilian" amirite?
  • He is a second rate journalist but a notable historian, for example he wrote that Germany captured Stalingrad in ww2 in his Churchill “book”
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • They captured most of Stalingrad tbf. Before the Russian's broke out, encircled the City and forced them to surrender.
  • Russia put a fucking shift in in ww2, without wanting to be flippant about it. Probably the deciding factor as much as any other.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The deciding factor was Hitler being a bit shit, but the Soviet Union certainly made a bigger contribution in terms of lives lost and casualties inflicted than anyone else.
  • The deciding factor was Hitler being a bit shit

Tbf he had a good go.
  • Dominic Raab sounds too much like Greg Davies for me to take him seriously.
  • Plus, the content of what he says.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Russia put a fucking shift in in ww2, without wanting to be flippant about it. Probably the deciding factor as much as any other.

Aye. The Eastern front was a huge resource sponge - took the sting of out them before the West got its act together.

Half way through vol.2 of Churchill's WW2 work. Just at the part when he sank a chunk of the French fleet to prevent it falling into German control.

In this part of the book his actual biggest fear was the idea of The British, French, German and Italian fleets merged into a super navy which could have royally fucked up the US who would then have been fighting on two fronts. The US were as ill prepared for war as we were - it took a good time for them to get going and they could have been caught with their pants down.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 1500 artists have signed an open letter for the gov to support grass routes music venues.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53250718

On the news a spokesman said they need £46mil.
    I believe the arts definitely need protecting throughout this and if government intervention is needed that is what should happen.

Given the names who have signed this though I cant help feeling that maybe it is time for some of those artists to give back.
    Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Liam Gallagher. What is the net worth of those artists alone?
    They are talking like these venues will disappear while sitting on more wealth than Smaug.
  • Paul mccartney is probably a bill by himself.
  • I can see both sides. Yes, those individuals should put their money where their mouths are. But there is also a need for the Government to give a shit about the arts. Proper funding in future may be dependent on them paying a tiny bit of attention during this crisis period.
  • Personally I think live music will bounce back more readily than the other performing arts. Theatre needs more help in the long run. If those institutions fall, their buildings will be quickly lost to developers. Rebuilding a theatre industry without any theatres could be tricky.
  • A theatre is a space though. The spaces will become available to do things. We’ve had theatres pop up in old churches and bingo halls in warehouses. The struggle will be to see if people want to pay to have people play.

(I’ve said it before but I find the word play in this context so funny - playing a character, such a thing)
  • poprock wrote:
    I can see both sides. Yes, those individuals should put their money where their mouths are. But there is also a need for the Government to give a shit about the arts. Proper funding in future may be dependent on them paying a tiny bit of attention during this crisis period.

I disagree a little bit. Government should help but let's be fair, all governments are stretched very thin at the moment.

Wouldn't it be nice if all these hugely rich artists set an example to big business and gave back to the community. I'm not talking every singer but when you see the fortunes these guys have (in some cases) they could do the funding themselves.

Either that or let governments tax them appropriately. Looking at you Bono.

SFV - reddave360
  • McCartney alone has a net worth of $1.2 BILLION...
  • Jagger is down to his last $360 million.
  • Keef? Poor man only has $500 million.
  • Liam Gallagher? $7.5 million. What a bum!
  • Everyone's pal Bono, sitting on $700 million. Spare us a quid mister?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!