The British Politics Thread
  • Cant help but imagine how this would br playing out right now if it was an opposition MP. Fucking Tory sleaze every fucking time it seems.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The fact that non of the possibilities are easily dismissed based on their character is telling.
  • I’m gonna assume @Roujin has been keeping abreast of this stuff, but I don’t know whether everyone else has seen it – the press aren’t giving it a huge amount of coverage.

Our glorious Tory overlords are pretty much scrapping the planning process for new buildings in the UK.

They’re calling it ‘streamlining’ and ‘encouraging developers to build’. What it actually means is removing rigorous checks on what gets built and where. Speaking to architects around here, they expect it to lead to slums in our city centres, and quickly. High density, low quality, housing. Tower blocks worse than the ones we’ve been demolishing over the past decade or two.

The deal is this: The Government write a set of guidelines for buildings in urban areas. Adhere to those guidelines and you don’t need planning permission. At all. The guidelines in the white paper so far are shit. Tiny concrete boxes for poor people to live in. 

It’s pretty horrifying. This guarantees a race to the bottom for developers to build the cheapest, nastiest buildings. People will die in these cheaply developed homes when things go wrong and they’ll end up depressed and unhealthy from living in them when things go right. You’d think the Tories had learned nothing from the Grenfell disaster.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Meanwhile, my extension is in planning hell cos it'll break the feel of the neighborhood despite several neighbours having the exact same extension.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.
  • Fuck imagine cancelling all planning laws because Dominic Cummings couldn’t get a man shed built outside.
  • Hold on, is that why he did that press conference at a desk in the garden after his blind drive to Barnard Castle?
  • Oh man it completely fits together!
  • Inner cities and towns are gonna be pretty rough arent they?
    Shit housing, dead high streets and a decline in people working in offices.

Sure London, Manchester and the like will always be popular but your average large town will be depressing.
  • It’ll take long enough for the effects of this to be felt that the Tories will probably be out of power and happily blaming it on Labour.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Inner cities and towns are gonna be pretty rough arent they? Shit housing, dead high streets and a decline in people working in offices. Sure London, Manchester and the like will always be popular but your average large town will be depressing.

This is exactly the issue. My parents live in Chippenham, a medium town (in terms of infrastructure anyway) in Wiltshire. After Cameron instructed councils to assume preference for development in 2012 (2014? somewhen), a bitterly locally contested development finally got the go-ahead - thousands (yes!) of new houses, all in culs-de-sacs, without any additional:
    - parks
    - public space
    - schools
    - high street / shopping street style developments
    - leasure facilities
    - water and sewerage infrastructure other than what's needed to get from developments to mains
    - environmental protections or improvements
    - cycling or public transport infrastructure 
    - community spaces
    - pubs, restaurants, cafes, etc

just a huge soulless housing development on lovely country land (privately owned until developers bought it), cookie-cutter shit quality houses in a commuter town not ready for 5K more people.

Yes we need more houses. Yes younger people are more left out than ever before when it comes to property ownership. but these problems can be solved in better ways (do we really think the shit new houses are going to be cheap to buy? It's more landlord opportunities for cash buyers off plan) - wealth tax, better and more social housing, more (not less!) regulation regarding affordable housing, inheritance tax changes to stop quasi-feudal ownership chains etc etc

This is a disaster and the country will feel the pain for decades.
  • poprock wrote:
    I’m gonna assume @Roujin has been keeping abreast of this stuff, but I don’t know whether everyone else has seen it – the press aren’t giving it a huge amount of coverage. Our glorious Tory overlords are pretty much scrapping the planning process for new buildings in the UK. They’re calling it ‘streamlining’ and ‘encouraging developers to build’. What it actually means is removing rigorous checks on what gets built and where. Speaking to architects around here, they expect it to lead to slums in our city centres, and quickly. High density, low quality, housing. Tower blocks worse than the ones we’ve been demolishing over the past decade or two. The deal is this: The Government write a set of guidelines for buildings in urban areas. Adhere to those guidelines and you don’t need planning permission. At all. The guidelines in the white paper so far are shit. Tiny concrete boxes for poor people to live in.  It’s pretty horrifying. This guarantees a race to the bottom for developers to build the cheapest, nastiest buildings. People will die in these cheaply developed homes when things go wrong and they’ll end up depressed and unhealthy from living in them when things go right. You’d think the Tories had learned nothing from the Grenfell disaster.

BRO I AM AWARE OF THE FUCKING PDR AND I AM BARE FUMING M8. 

These fucking pricks, right, cos they're pricks. Fucking real pricky pricks. They take their shit money what their ancestors were paid to get rid of their slaves and they like put it in bricks and mortar because the price of property ONLY ever goes one way. 

Then the economy goes in the shitter and all the fucking pricks who have money in empty offices, suddenly decide that actually what they want to do now is turn their unused office space into accomodation for people, since there's a housing shortage and all.

FIRST OF ALL - Do you think that an office in a business park is a suitable location for anyone to live? 
    SECOND - These places have no access to private outdoor space for the residents
    THIRD - OF COURSE ALL THESE SCHEMES ARE MAGICALLY CRAMMED FULL OF TINY FLATS TO MAXIMISE LETS
    FOURTH - If the economy picks back up you have to build another business park or office block somewhere that's less optimal since your offices and factories are now flats, you stupid fucking cunts, but of course you probably have stock invested in construction companies who will bid to do that work so fuck it all. 

The level of latent rage it summons within me is frankly beyond measure, this is the most flagrant example of FUCK YOU I WANT MY RETURN ON INVESTMENTS AT ANY COST I can ever recall. It makes me sick to see people just thought of as "tenants" with no though paid to quality of life or suitability of accomodation. Some of these places have rooms with no fucking windows in for fucks sake, are you fucking kidding me, etc. 

Watch this and then invest in my coop guillotine manufacturing business. 

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    BRO I AM AWARE OF THE FUCKING PDR AND I AM BARE FUMING M8.

Big virtual hugs for you here. And for Funk too.
  • Only scummiest little bootlicker architects and contractors would ever put any bids in to work on these projects FYI. So you can imagine the quality of work will likely be commensurate with the bare minimum investment the redevelopment is given. 

When do we start eating the rich? I'm reaching a point where I feel like I could easily look the other way while the hoarded wealth of some is forcibly redistributed back to the people.
  • Got a while to go buddy. Not until people like you and me are really suffering. Too many of us middle class comfortable “educated” powerful types worrying about our own shit to effect real change. Gotta wait until shit really hits fan for everyone then pitchforks R go.

It doesn’t matter if we are aware of the injustice and get angry, aren’t aware, or simply don’t care. People got to suffer personally before really getting their activist on. Its why I have so much admiration for those of us who do actually work towards fairer societies / better democracy / peace and welfare despite fact they could be easily malingering their lives away like me in a home office doing bullshit work for money
  • The best we can hope for until then seems to be the guardian reader / guilt assuaging centrism. “Not as bad as that lot” could be the slogan, with “lot” being a substitute for anyone of your choice
  • For reasons I am yet to understand I did a degree in planning before switching career for my masters.  Living in Switzerland now I realise how integral good environmental planning is to a nations collective psyche.  The uk is still reeling from the homes for heros shocker in the 50s standing up utter shite modern atrocities.
    Poor planning on a densely populated is a recipe for disaster
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Roujin wrote:
    Watch this and then invest in my coop guillotine manufacturing business. 
    Great video that Rouj. A real eye-opener.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Lads lads 250 likes for a tweet questioning Andrew Neil / The Spectator, I'm basically famous now touch me

Now approaching 500 likes on a separate tweet, including three applauding animated gifs. This makes me a Twitter celebrity, right #WheresMyBlueTick?

Who says puns don't pay?

https://twitter.com/acemuzzy/status/1292458526720368643?s=19
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    (obviously gav's 100k likes don't count cos they're all ranger fans etc)
  • Have a like to make it 450.
  • Here’s another.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Wooo
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Here he is, Billy big baws
  • Oh shit, that was you!  I said "nice", out loud when I saw that earlier.
  • Didn't like it mind you. Fuck that shit.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Here he is, Billy big baws

Reporting yer tweet now. Naughty step for you. Time out.
  • Why does the BBC send some journo cunt out on a boat into the channel to harass some Syrians risking everything to escape from a warzone? As if the slow trickle of migrants (4,000 to a country of 60+ million) was somehow to blame for all our ever-growing ills.

p08n7jb1.jpg

"They're out here in a dinghy without a pot to piss in, Sophie..."

*Cut to a stern-faced Nigel Farage beneath a Union Jack umbrella*

Just lean out the boat and twat them back into the sea with a plank why don't you?

State of this country.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!