Super Mario World (SNES) - Your memories...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I take it you all know about the remixed SMB1 theme that starts playing if you sit on the Special World map for long enough?

Go to 2mins:
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • You know theres basically one one music in the game. I think even the ghost music is the same. It just played at different tempos and instruments
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Cmon pal! We were doing that when we were 6!

I do love the pumpkinhead pirhana plants - Burtonesque
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Cmon pal! We were doing that when we were 6! I do love the pumpkinhead pirhana plants - Burtonesque

Jesus - I was 25 when I bought the SNES - had my first proper job as a COBOL programmer....
  • Thanks for all these keep them coming - looking forward to starting this project :D
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I might need to play through it again. Is it on 3ds? Might I already have it?? (Does 3ds do gbs? Something tells me it don't :-()
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I might need to play through it again. Is it on 3ds? Might I already have it?? (Does 3ds do gbs? Something tells me it don't :-()

Apparently the GBA version is one to avoid - naff sound effects and some control / level differences
  • I remember queuing at a demo pod that gave two minutes before resetting at a local shop to play and everyone being amazed by it, but still everyone asking for the Street Fighter II bundle instead at Christmas. (I got a second hand NES.)

First time I owned the game was when I got a Super Mario All Stars SNES bundle for Christmas a year or two later and Mario World was bundled with it.

Fantastic game, better than YI, but not better than 3.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think I put this top in "best game ever", because it is the best game ever
  • I've only played through the main levels, don't think I've delved into any secrets or owt. Might be time for another part through.

I missed the snes era, no monies :( so my only experience of any snes era is emulation and ports on subsequent consoles.

Is smw on wiiU virtual console? Does it make the graphics fancier like on emulator?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's on the old Wii VC.  I have a SNES classic controller that completes the experience. (7000 stars)
  • Got it at a car boot while staying with grandparents over easter one year.
    Got it with a game genie for £4, probably ruined it with said game genie.

Gave it, genie, all stars, F Zero and DK3 to my mate (AirHairLair briefly on here).
    Last time I went to his place there was a SNES shrine with an insane collection so it went to a good place.
  • I remember queuing at a demo pod that gave two minutes before resetting at a local shop to play and everyone being amazed by it, but still everyone asking for the Street Fighter II bundle instead at Christmas. (I got a second hand NES.) First time I owned the game was when I got a Super Mario All Stars SNES bundle for Christmas a year or two later and Mario World was bundled with it. Fantastic game, better than YI, but not better than 3.

Back on 3 October 1992, I was lucky that Dixons had sold out of the £160 SF2 pack. So the £130 Mario World pack with extra controller was what I got and dammit it was the best day of my life ever. Kinda.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Who wants my sealed copy for £2000? :)
  • I told you straight, it is mine for the Mario OST :)
    Spoiler:
  • This is the bit from the review I wrote.
    It starts with little Mario jumping on a red Koopa, a kind of dick-head tortoise, and knocking it out of its shell, then picking the shell up and running with it until he kicks it at a power-up block on the floor, one that you would more commonly headbut from underneath.

So Mario can jump on enemies, pick up shells, and hit blocks with them, yeah? And what?

Out of the block comes an egg that hatches into a small dinosaur, our first sighting of your new companion Yoshi, and little Mario jumps into the saddle on his back and rides him away, collecting a large Yoshi coin as they go.

Riding a dinosaur that runs and jumps like Mario does. Got it.

Yoshi eats an apple from a background tree as Mario rides him past it, they jump onto an unshelled, then a shelled, Koopa and destroy them, shells and all. They bounce from the second Koopa head on into a third and Mario is thrown from Yosh's back, but not killed.

Okay, Yoshi eats fruit, destroys shells and lets Mario take an extra hit without dying. Should I be writing this down?

The riderless dinosaur carries on running at full speed, straight past some Koopas, Mario jumps on the Koopa that dismounted him and sends the shell in the direction of Yoshi and the Koopas, the points they earn the player float from their body like souls on their way to baddie heaven, each chained kill earns double the points of the last and none leave their shells behind. Yoshi is unharmed.

Right, Yoshi can run off on his own & he's safe from shells and enemies when he does. Koopas killed with shells don't leave shells and points from chained kills increase exponentially. Will this be on the exam?

Mario remounts Yoshi and rides him to a Pokey, a shuffling cactus totem pole of an enemy, which Yoshi devours one segment at a time with his sticky tongue. Then there's nothing left to do but collect a coin and jump on a Venus fly trap's head.

]So a flytrap won’t hurt you if you stand on it as Yoshi and those totem bastards are edible? Sorted.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    This has inspired me to start playing 3DW, St long last. 11 stars in, it all seems pretty easy. It can't get much harder, can it?
  • That's a lot of shit to communicate in a 40 second attract loop.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    This has inspired me to start playing 3DW, St long last. 11 stars in, it all seems pretty easy. It can't get much harder, can it?

It's easy until World 6 or 7. Even then it's not that hard to get everything. Until you hit the very very very last couple of levels.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I liked all the different boos

670px-Beat-Vanilla-Ghost-House-in-Super-Mario-World-Step-1.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Loved the sound when you found a secret exit

• Beeeeeyuuuuuuuwweeeeaau
  • Does All-Stars or smw have better graphics?

Smw has loads more things but I think the backgrounds and colours in all stars is a lot more detailed.
  • Fuck me, I loved SMW as a kid, I haven't really touched it since the GBA port. But having seen some of these videos i'm pretty certain i've never uncovered all of the secrets...certainly not that ghost one above  and i've never seen those levels on star road with the Snes logo in the background...
  • I never did all the levels back in the day. I had maybe 5 or 10 to go. No guides.
  • A cousin of mine was a snes owner and a big Mario fan. We used to exchange tips. He helped me get through a couple of those special levels.
  • I was stuck on 93 exits for so long, but refused to use a guide.
  • Back then, all you had to do was miss that issue of Nintendo Power and you were safe. These days you can find the answer in one weak moment.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I cheated to find a handful of the secret exits - maybe 4 or 5. - to my shame. It was in a guide in a magazine I had bought.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I think I put this top in "best game ever", because it is the best game ever

This game was the name of the top table at our wedding because it is my favourite game of all time ever

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!