Super Mario World (SNES) - Your memories...
  • It was awful, literally a ROM dump on a disc.

It didn't even update the pad button options screen from SNES to Wii.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Funny how sequels took more risks back in the day. Super Mario, Zelda and Castlevania spring to mind as sequels that gave no fucks about trying something different.

It's true, plenty of 8-bit franchises had instalments that were quite different, same with Sega.
  • Wasn’t the pal version of smb2 a different game reskinned not sure that counts as a golden age of risk taking sequels
    The Forum Herald™
  • best 2d mario is mario maker :P
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Wasn’t the pal version of smb2 a different game reskinned not sure that counts as a golden age of risk taking sequels

Yup. SMB2 was originally a disc game for the Famicom which we in the West know as Lost Levels.

For some reason we got a game called Doki Doki Panic based on a JP TV series licence that didn't sell well reskinned as SMB2 in the West. Maybe because the disc drive didn't get a Western release. There's also an opinion that the original SMB2 wasn't considered different enough and was also painfully tough.

So Nintendo tried doing something different with a different IP and style of gameplay and it tanked. They recovered it by reskinning it. I suspect it was a lesson learned.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The SMB2 game we did get is a damn good game though.

The real SMB2 is rock hard.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!