Super Mario World (SNES) - Your memories...
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Still best 2D platformer ever.

Yup, with SMB3 being a close second for me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    i keep juggling SMB3, SMW and YI as to which is best. It usually depends on which one I've most recently played.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Smw was the first I played picked up smas after and none of the others has the maglc of smw ... it had its own column in the sun back in the day
    The Forum Herald™
  • davyK wrote:
    i keep juggling SMB3, SMW and YI as to which is best. It usually depends on which one I've most recently played.

This tends to be me.

I lean towards 3 more often than not though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Meat Boy is similar tier for me. Hollow Knight and Celeste aren't pure platformers but similar in many ways. We're in a decent patch of things, really.
  • YI is by far the best even though SMW is the only one I've ever really finished. Never really got into smb3, really should do an extended playthrough on emulator.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Never really got on with yi didn’t like the concept
    The Forum Herald™
  • hunk wrote:
    YI is by far the best even though SMW is the only one I've ever really finished. Never really got into smb3, really should do an extended playthrough on emulator.

Played through it recently and it is amaze but I felt its movement and general flow of game-play is slower and has a greater puzzle focus, which is not how I really like my platformers.

Wouldn't be up there for me but I can see how it would for other peeps.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    YI on first play is a straight point to point and is finished without too much trouble. It's just a linear platformer with some nice set pieces played that way.

But going back trying to 100% each level makes you play the levels as a search-em-up with some light puzzling. There's some combat/shooting thrown in too. The seed spitting monkey levels are a nightmare to 100%. That's what makes it so good.
  • All 3 are god tier 10s
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Replaying these makes you aware of how good Nintendo and Miyamoto really are. They've turned gaming into a craft and Miyamoto THE videogame equivalent of a children's storybook auteur for the ages. All 3 (smb3, smw, yi) stand the test of time and still have the ability to fascinate children today.

Sega's 16 bit era was good but Nintendo was way more consistent with the quality of their 16-bit output. It's a trait they've honed over time and the main reason why they're still in the console business and Sega isn't. Hats off to Nintendo and their craftsmanship, they've earned their seal of quality.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Actually had to Google what YI was. Been up all night. Fuck the lot of yous.
  • I have never played Yoshi's Island.

But I do have a SNES mini. 

Maybe now's the time.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • JRPC wrote:
    I have never played Yoshi's Island.

But I do have a SNES mini. 

Maybe now's the time.

Me too , started it on gba though
    The Forum Herald™
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    YI is magnificent. My initial disappointment at its linearity after the majesty of SMW's map soon dropped away.

The graphical design is superb - there is nothing quite like it - and the suspected "fuzziness" of the platforms arising from that isn't an issue. It is as consistent and pixel perfect as its stablemates. The crying baby noise is the only thing that grates - but then - it is supposed to add to the stress of the situation.

The absence of precision is what always has me ranking the early Sonic games below them. I know its a design choice by Sega but I don't like those games as much because of it; and the fact that I can't keep my bearings in the maze like levels as there is no sense of progression within them - or at least - there are no visual clues. It makes me feel like I am just stumbling around waiting to come upon the next scripted sequence. I prefer Sonic 1 & 2 to the later games though.
  • I switch between SMW and YI as the best 2D platformer, with SMB3 sitting just behind both.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Apart from those 3 which we all seem to agree are a cut above, whats your favourite 2D Mario?

The original is obviously iconic and special but I think NSMBU is superb.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah NSMBU was great. Loved it, gave me some good SMW vibes.
  • Apart from those 3 which we all seem to agree are a cut above, whats your favourite 2D Mario?

The original is obviously iconic and special but I think NSMBU is superb.

I really enjoyed the first NSMBU but for sheer feels I'd probably go for original super Mario bros. It still plays well and looks wonderful. A slice of childhood
    SFV - reddave360
  • We are taking about the one on Wii U, there was only one. I didn’t get on with NSMB (DS) that much.
  • I wonder if there'll be a 2d mario switch?

NSMB3?
    The Forum Herald™
  • NSMBU is indeed great.

SMB3 is the best though, with SMW second.
  • Now that I think about it, I think SMW is the only 2D Mario Ive played.

:(
  • Lucky you!

Add All-Stars to your Snes-mini and remedy that actuality.
  • Wait no I had one on the DS. 

I didn't love it.

I did love World though. Proper, proper loved it.

Spent a very long time indeed not finding that 97the level or whatever.
  • Bob wrote:
    I wonder if there'll be a 2d mario switch? NSMB3?

NSMBU should have been called New Super Mario World and been given an appropriate graphical update.

The only problem with U is the fact that the 'New' series was wearing a bit thin.

But yeah NSMB3 would be great.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Big fan of All Stars. Love the graphical update they did and some of the changes they made. 

In SMB1 I like the fact that they changed it so in a 2 player game turns alternate after a life loss OR level completion.

Also like the fact they beefed up the 2 player battle mode in SMB3.

I'm a bit of a fan of the NSMBWii game. Thought it was nicely done and the multi-player modes while a bit chaotic are enjoyable. Coin Battle was my favourite mode. In the 1 player mode I never found all of the giant coins - should really go back and complete that and unlock all the secret levels.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Doki Doki panic is my fave.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • 2 is decent to be fair.

Loved it as a kid.

Funny how sequels took more risks back in the day. Super Mario, Zelda and Castlevania spring to mind as sequels that gave no fucks about trying something different.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Only ever played SMB2 as part of All Stars. I liked it - has a lot to recommend it. Looks great in All Stars.

I think it was a pity that they didn't update Lost Levels for 2 players in All Stars. It would have made for a great "follow that" game with turns alternating with life losses and level completions. Apart from that it's a solid package still.

All Stars for Wii was a disgrace though. PAL50Hz versions and they didn't even throw in SMW - probably because it was on VC but still - that ROM already exists so it would have been easy. I passed on that even though I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!