Nintendo Switch
  • Or a pes-lite a la the Wii editions. I'd have that in a heartbeat.

I was thinking recently how much I hate modern sports games and how much I miss the arcade style ones.

These days you seem to need to be an expert in the sport just to play the games.

I really miss games like ISS, NFL Blitz and NBA Jam.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • There are some titles like that on Switch, but they tend to be slightly lower quality. There’s Mutant Football League for NFL, or NBA Playgrounds, and I’ve got a FIFA Street / Pure Football style game called Super Kickers League in my wish list. Super Mega Baseball is a fantastic game. I also really like Active Soccer 2019.
  • I did look into NBA Playgrounds but was put off by the micro transactions, it's in my wishlist though to snap up at the right price.

I'm a bit of a fussy sod when it comes to sports games, I like them to have element of realism to the look but play in an arcade style.

The NFL Blitz games in the late 90s were perfect, the style of Mutant League just don't do it for me unfortunatley. Thanks all the same for the recommendation though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • https://www.gamesradar.com/stories-untold-switch-version

Never heard of it but sounds interesting
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yeah, it's a bugbear of mine too. There must be room in the market for a bigger budget more arcade style sports game. Rocket League scratched an itch I suppose.

But what about stuff like Speedball, but you have third person control of your character instead of the top down view? OTT wall running etc. Make it multiplayer and everyone has their own bloke. Fuck it, make it free to play too, loads of cosmetic shit to customise your character with. You play as robots and can loose limbs in fierce tackles and have to limp over to your leg and reconnect it. You carry injuries over if you run out of XP or whatever is used to repair between matches, but you can nab the limbs of clattered opponents mid match and if you're lucky it's an upgrade on what you already had.

There are a million ideas for shit like this once you step outside of the boring as fuck battle for who can do the most realistic render of Ronaldo's Adam's apple.
  • It really is quite tragic how stagnant it's got, it really feels like you have one option per sport now.

There was so much variety up to the PS2 era when the turn started to kick in.

I appreciate there's indie efforts under the radar but I would love a return to bigger budget efforts with licences.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blame EA. Gobbled up all the licences.. I think Basketball still has some competition?
    The Forum Herald™
  • I don't think it does, its just one that someone other than EA dominates.

2K have that in their back pocket with an odd NBA Live from EA coming out to mixed receptions and poor sales, they've cancelled NBA Live 2020.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I would've at least had the decency to include a top ten list :)
  • I don't think it does, its just one that someone other than EA dominates. 2K have that in their back pocket with an odd NBA Live from EA coming out to mixed receptions and poor sales, they've cancelled NBA Live 2020.
    Yup 2K are even more dominant in Basketball than EA is in football
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • and their microtransaction practices even worse.
  • Sony also have the main baseball licence. There was a rule a while back that said no one can have excluSibley all the major licences to all the major American sports.
  • Do sports only licence to one developer these days?

I know FIFA always has but back in the day there was definitely multiple games from various developers with NBA/NHL licences for example.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I guess NFL chooses based on the fatness of the cheque and ongoing relationship that they won’t sell to a different company. They can do what they want though of course but they may not get as much if they dilute the licence theoretically. (Yes they double the number of people but that doesn’t mean each one will pay more than half the original price for it).
  • Andy wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    Two interesting looking games coming soon; THOTH and 140. Both are £4.49, both due on 09/01/19. Both share the quality of being almost indecipherable from screenshots, but the trailers are worth a watch. Both making me curse my ‘no new games’ plan.

They’re £4.49 each but, if you buy either of them, you get the other one for free.

Thoth looks like fun, but I'm not convinced by the trailer to 140.
  • Kine seems to be tucked away quite deep into the sale. Only 25% off so I'll wait, but it's on the want list.

Also Astebreed is £5ish. Solid shifting perspective whizzbang mech shmup that felt like a modern Dreamcast game when I played it on PS4. Definitely worth a look if you don't require too much from your shooters. Think along the lines of Assault Heroes maybe, not in terms of gameplay but because it feels like a 'single A' arcade game - it's bitesize but it's solid and would've been glossy enough to sell for £39.99 in 2000. This made less sense than I wanted it to but it's done now and I should be in bed.
  • I might've got Kine if it had been on sale pre-Xmas, but don't think I'll have time for it now. And that's still only a couple of quid cheaper than it is on PSN anyway.

Still holding out for Obra Dinn to drop.
  • Holding tight for Obra Dinn, Kine, The Touryst, Ninja Saviors, Devil Engine and West of Loathing.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    Two interesting looking games coming soon; THOTH and 140. Both are £4.49, both due on 09/01/19. Both share the quality of being almost indecipherable from screenshots, but the trailers are worth a watch. Both making me curse my ‘no new games’ plan.

They’re £4.49 each but, if you buy either of them, you get the other one for free.

It's decent! http://thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/comment/1447013#Comment_1447013
  • Badger bought eshop voucher update....

Moot was very right about Yooka Laylee, it’s great and only really behind Rayman in the 2d platformer stakes.  The levels are tight and inventive and the overworld setup is also brilliant for once.  It’s really really good but lacks a touch of Raymans fluidity of movement.

Obra Dinn is incredibly overwhelming at the start with loads to take in but once you spend some time with it, well, i get all the fuss on that too.

Thanks again Badgers.
  • Do sports only licence to one developer these days? I know FIFA always has but back in the day there was definitely multiple games from various developers with NBA/NHL licences for example.

There's multiple tiers of licences for most sports, as far as I know - I know PES have a licence, albeit not as wide-ranging as FIFA (FIFPRO, I think). 

Basketball is the same - EA does have a licence for Basketball, but their Basketball games weren't as well received as 2K's efforts, and EA hasn't released a new one in a while.

Baseball only has one licence, currently owned by Sony, but their new deal makes future Baseball games (The Show) multiplat.
  • Badger bought eshop voucher update.... Moot was very right about Yooka Laylee, it’s great and only really behind Rayman in the 2d platformer stakes.  The levels are tight and inventive and the overworld setup is also brilliant for once.  It’s really really good but lacks a touch of Raymans fluidity of movement.

Good luck with the impossible lair itself, I thought I was prepared when I first attempted it but I was not.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    It's decent! http://thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/comment/1447013#Comment_1447013

Ah go on then, as it's a bogof thing.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Good shout, I think you'll like it
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Holding tight for Obra Dinn, Kine, The Touryst, Ninja Saviors, Devil Engine and West of Loathing.
    I still have Ninja Saviors on the PSN list. I still think that's an awful name. I still might get it eventually.
  • I did get River City Girls a bit ago of course and still have that to get through. But TBH I wasn't massively impressed when I played the first hour or so. Hopefully it improves.
  • Narrator: The modders success was short-lived after Nintendo filed a class-action lawsuit against him and took everything he had. He now works at a car wash.

Still, v nice.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Urgh, Nintendo managed to region lock their actual store in the most stupid way imaginable.

It's my brother's birthday tomorrow, and yes I'm late but I already spotted a Donkey Kong doormat that I thought would be fun for his new place. Because he lives in NL I obviously need to log in with my EU Nintendo account (which is fine, but absolutely useless). I can't use the PayPal linked to that anyway. The only payment options are mastercard or visa. A Dutch one. I think the most common way to pay digitally in NL is iDeal, followed by PayPal. No one uses credit cards. This is pretty frustrating, they do mention vouchers but you can only buy those with gold coins. Not with actual money.

It's such a stupid design, took them years to actually have a store with physical tat in them (i don't think they cool pre order bonuses like the UK yet) and now I can't buy anything. Should have remembered this from the Splatoon posters, that don't after spending the digital coins on it that it told me I would need a Dutch credit card.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!