Nintendo Switch
  • This is so blissfully absurd, I adore it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think I'd have more fun building the things than playing whatever shallow muck game is supposed to go with it. Can't help but wish it was VR related, stuff like the fishing rod and robbit are crying out for it.

Kids will love it and, if they don't get bored after five minutes, break it.
  • This is adorable and dorky, hahaha

DTxsChrWsAAsEDZ.jpg

Quite interested to see what they can do with this past the initial silliness, I'd love to see more ambitious "build and code your own" kits where you can program simple stuff into a bespoke program
  • Just RT'd a very good idea in that we should get Mr Katamari in on this.

My gf can't see past the price but I'm all in for the variety pack day one.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I just realised I can save my Christmas money for this.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Price will always be contentious. I know for a fact I like building stuff like Lego and Warhammer, the time you sit enjoying it is valuable, especially if you're doing it with someone else. Warhammer has a big game and community beside it, but Lego is practically pointless once it's done. I know people always say you can make extra stuff or whatever, but I think that's rarer for adults than kids.

The games seem like bonuses to an extent, like all the extra software and sensors I got with an old Build A Robot magazine I used to collect as a Kid. I had 100x more fun just building than I ever did using the software.
  • Tempy wrote:
    How on earth is this not the kind of things your kids are gonna be mad into?

£120ish for two multipacks of cardboard, that's how.  It's an Awesome(o) idea and it'll sell but the truckload, but I'll stick to building robots from the discarded boxes at Lidl.  There's been a giant T Rex from Poundland behind my sofa waiting to be assembled for 6 months.
  • Aye, that's fair. Though you don't *have* to buy the robot one. The variety one seems worth it for a few rainy weekends to me, but then I do live in Glasgow.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I suspect for the Variety Pack the build time alone will rival some of the shorter mainstream games, based on the hands-on articles. I suspect the additional charge on top of the standard software RRP will come out fairly reasonably compared to a Lego set, hours-wise.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It turns out that the Wii U is never going to come out after all. Nintendo have replaced the Wii U button on the Nintendo UK website with a Nintendo Labo button.
  • They're trying to whitewash history.
    You can deny it all you want Nintendo, we still remember what you did.
  • i'm gonna guess at some kind of model/craft thing that uses the IR sensor. so kids can play/make something then have it end up on screen.
    Close enough! ;)
    What do I win?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I’ve applied for the workshop.
  • Me too. Cheers for the heads up.
  • Ideas-

Keita Takahashi of course
    Dark Souls Remastered speedruns done with the piano.... somehow..
    Resurgence of lightgun games, all Labo-compatible
    Korg updating the soon to be released moog thingy to work with the piano
    Official Roland v-drum kit
  • Turns out Nintendo are crazier than Sega.

I love it!
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Clearly not my kinda thing but fair fucks Ninty you'll make millions from some cardboard.
  • Toy-Con RC Car: Insert the Left and Right Joy-Con into your newly built RC Car and control its movement using touch screen controls on the Nintendo Switch. The HD rumble feature in the Joy-Con controllers will cause vibrations that move the car in the direction you choose. Materials to construct two RC Cars are included.
    + Toy-Con Fishing Rod: Construct the Fishing Rod with an active, rotating reel that is attached by string to a cradle holding the Nintendo Switch console. Catch one of many exotic fish shown swimming on the Nintendo Switch screen by casting your Fishing Rod and unwinding the reel to lower the hook. Once you feel a vibration from the Joy-Con inserted in the reel, you must crank the reel quickly and tug the Fishing Rod upwards to try and complete the catch.
    + Toy-Con House: By inserting various assembled blocks into openings in the sides and bottom of the House, you can interact, feed and play games with a cute creature on the front-facing Nintendo Switch screen. Each differently shaped block is detected by the IR Motion Camera on the Right Joy-Con inserted on top of the House.
    + Toy-Con Motorbike: Insert each Joy-Con into an assembled set of handlebars to drive a motorbike on the Nintendo Switch screen. Pressing the ignition button starts the engine, twisting the right handle activates the throttle, and leaning your body or turning the handlebars left and right controls the motorbike.
    + Toy-Con Piano: After assembling a beautifully crafted 13-key piano and inserting the Nintendo Switch console and Joy-Con, you can create your own music by pressing different keys. You can even insert different assembled knobs to create new sound effects and tones.
  • This is completely bonkers and utterly adorable. If my daughter was bit older (i.e. not a crazy 3 year old) I'd definitely be getting one.

What a lovely thing. Also yes, Takahashi needs to get involved in future projects for this. Also obvious, but it makes me wish Sony didn't own Media Molecule.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    How on earth is this not the kind of things your kids are gonna be mad into?
    £120ish for two multipacks of cardboard, that's how.  It's an Awesome(o) idea and it'll sell but the truckload, but I'll stick to building robots from the discarded boxes at Lidl.  There's been a giant T Rex from Poundland behind my sofa waiting to be assembled for 6 months.

You're not being fair here. The game is included in the initial outlay, the cardboard is an extra ten on top of that. 

And if you're going to argue whether it's a ripoff or not, look at damn near every collectors edition of useless shit like helmets and posable plastic robot arms.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I could see this being a craze if the kits were £15 and compatible with any smartphone. Because apart from a pair of bible-bashers, I don't know of any kids who'd go for these ahead of everything else that £60 can buy. It seems incredibly middle-class, at the same time as being ultra-safe by avoiding VR (although that's a good idea) in favour of the cardboard stuff that litters most 24-hour garages.

Enjoy an hour or so building the thing; get bored with its crappy game in ten minutes; and then forget about it until its trodden on at some point in the future. Why not offer a Bluetooth guitar and 25-key keyboard for £60 each, with apps for those? Actual RC toys, instead of a piece of cardboard with a top vibration-powered speed of 0.3 mph. Versus games with RC figures controlled by the Joy-Cons...

I'd say that all the fun's gonna be in the making, and if you do that for your kids then I think most of them'll be disappointed with the rest. But then the Switch has sold tremendously well at its inflated pricepoint, so what do I know about markets (apart from the criticality of BotW so far, I reckons).
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Meh / WTAF
  • Well they did prep the announcement by saying it's for kids and kids at heart. So it's obviously aimed at the younger market. I could see young me being very excited for it.

Like most others, I think it's great. Something new and if it takes off it could lead interesting places like Lego Technic type territory with simple programming on the switch with logic blocks or something and building block cardboard pieces.

Anything new like this is good in my books.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I certainly wouldn't knock it for the under-10s, but when I was that age I'd have viewed it as a pocket-money enterprise, and so spent that level of money elsewhere. I know that times have changed quite a bit, but I saved £50 over summer when I was 11 and bought a motorbike with it. One of my mates bought a Honda Cub for £25.
  • Omg, 

They are some how going to fuck this up aren’t they
    The Forum Herald™
  • Flat-pack peripherals - the IKEA approach to videogaming.

The building/decorating aspect does look fun and surprisingly intricate, and I imagine would be great for those who have kids of the right age.

It's what happens afterwards that seems less interesting. A novelty game that shows the thing you've made 'working' for a few brief lols and then you've got an ever growing pile of chunky cardboard models to find a home for.

Certainly a neat idea though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!