Nintendo Switch
  • Nina wrote:
    Oh yeah, forgot about the joy cons.  Actually played most of the game with them, but the pro controller felt just that bit more reliable in the end. No accidental punches. So yeah, could do. @SpaceGazelle, think he's on a break and seems to drink beers with Cocko every once in a while.

I'd almost say the opposite. Arms is one of the few games were the motion control really fits the system. The Boomerang gloves are so lethal with motion compared to normal control. Same with even the basic curve on a punch - it feels intuitive with the motion, counter without (but of course, each to their own.)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Make it a Guitar Hero not a Kinect.

Yeah, I really like the idea but hate the execution. I think that cutting, sanding and painting balsa would be a lot more satisfying on the maker side, while the functionality of a 13-key piano with elastic-band keys is going to provide minutes of entertainment. My dad brought home a couple of electric organs he'd had given to him when I was a kid, and it's a shame I didn't like their sound else I could've been a good player.

If you have iOS (boo!) you can buy the likes of GarageBand for a few quid, and that gives you a ton more creative options than Nintendo will. Using cardboard plugs to change tones is full-on Fisher-Price. And you could buy a semi-decent 25- or 37-key keyboard with the leftover money. You can buy cheap electric guitars and hook them up to PCs via £25 interfaces.

I've been thinking about a physical Micro Machines since AR began to make a noise, and if the Joy-Cons were able to detect one another's 3D position, you could fit them to RC cars and, with a dozen-odd electronic markers in a pack (little towers), create your own courses. I'd start with offroaders to let kids race in more locations. The markers could have retractable hooks for gardens, and compartments for weights, with corner-cutting detections. Scalextric without track is an easy way to think of it.

How about putting Switch-paired sensors in homemade planes and having them tell you how far they've flown, etc. I can think of several cool ideas on the electronic side of Switch-related making, but cardboard's a cop-out, taking Google Cardboard's risk-averse approach over something more positively daring.

This would be the hot toy for xmas 2018 if released a bit later.

Maybe, but we don't know what sort of year the Switch is gonna have. Metroid 4's supposed to be 2019, and I think there's still a good chance that E3 won't bring a flood of third-party support from non-indies. Labbo feels much more suited to the kids' summer holidays to me.
  • I think we know exactly what sort of year the Switch is going to have - there's no indication at all that things are slowing down and it's had a great first year.

Did you really just suggest that balsa wood would be a better option than cardboard?
  • Escape wrote:
    Make it a Guitar Hero not a Kinect.

If you have iOS (boo!) you can buy the likes of GarageBand for a few quid, and that gives you a ton more creative options than Nintendo will. Using cardboard plugs to change tones is full-on Fisher-Price. And you could buy a semi-decent 25- or 37-key keyboard with the leftover money. You can buy cheap electric guitars and hook them up to PCs via £25 interfaces.

I think you have firmly missed the point. Of course there are better ways to play music but that's not what it's about. It's a make and do kit with a novelty interface to give an end product. It's not meant to be replace actual instruments.

SFV - reddave360
  • I think 2018 for the Switch will be:

- a great selection of indie games
    - a handful of ports of various quality
    - three first class first-party games
    - some Nintendo shovelware/WiiU remakes
    - Nintendo working out how to make DLC really pay
  • WorKid wrote:
    I think 2018 for the Switch will be:

- a great selection of indie games
    - a handful of ports of various quality
    - three first class first-party games
    - some Nintendo shovelware/WiiU remakes
    - Nintendo working out how to make DLC really pay

I'd be happy with this tbh.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Oxenfree is 3.99 - 75% off

Wow. Bought, thank you!
  • Escape wrote:
    I think that cutting, sanding and painting balsa would be a lot more satisfying on the maker side,

So, build stuff out of balsa. I’m not sure which part of Labo is stopping you.
  • Andy wrote:
    Escape wrote:
    I think that cutting, sanding and painting balsa would be a lot more satisfying on the maker side,

The fact you can't bend balsa wood

Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I think you’re missing the point.
  • I fully expect people to recreate these things out of other materials. Plastic and wood obviously.

Balsa bends fine. Just steam it. Source : I made a plane when I was about 11. It crashed. I cried.
  • Cardboard is the perfect solution for Nintendo.

It can be pre cut, scored, perforated and printed onto.
    It can have stickers applied along with household craft stuff kids already have like poster paint and water based glues.

It is relatively durable but won't damage door frames or indeed the Switch itself. It doesn't splinter or have sharp edges or anything else that could harm a child.

It doesn't require tools or skills a child or even adult may not have.

It has an aesthetic appeal synonymous with childhood craft and play.

It is quick and easy not needing drying or steaming times.

It can be digested.
  • It's really quite clever this. Barking mad leftfield stuff if you're not in the demographic, but I can see the appeal for parents with small children being massive.
    The thought of nintards hoarding cardboard in a desperate attempt at turning a profit decades later is just beyond satire.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nintendo capitalising on the fact that kids often have more fun with the box than the toy inside.
  • It's a bloody brilliant idea. I didn't realise the Switch release was the first time in Nintendo's history it didn't use children in it's marketing campaign so you can see they're shoring up the younger end now. Get em while they're young and you have a Nintard for life.

It'll be interesting to see how far they can run with it, and in these days of YouTube led home projects I suspect we're going to see some amazing stuff whether official or no.

You can do a lot with an IR camera.
  • Andy wrote:
    I think you’re missing the point.

Please explain , as I'm sure you want to.
  • WorKid wrote:
    I fully expect people to recreate these things out of other materials. Plastic and wood obviously.

Balsa bends fine. Just steam it. Source : I made a plane when I was about 11. It crashed. I cried.

I'd be more concerned with my Switch and Joy cons than the cardboard.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    I think you’re missing the point.
    Please explain , as I'm sure you want to.
    No need to be snarky, fella.

Cardboard, as others have pointed out, is a great medium for what Nintendo are hoping to achieve. But I’m willing to bet they’re looking forward to people using their imaginations. Just as we’ve seen the #OnlyOnSwitch competition on twitter, I’m sure we’ll see them running promotions where people enter their Labo designs and we see creativity competitions.

It won’t be long until people are designing their own cardboard toys. It won’t be long after that until we start seeing people create things with Fimo, or Lego, or 3D printers... or balsa wood.

I’m not saying, “Use balsa wood as a direct replacement for the cardboard designs.” I’m saying that, if someone wants to, they can develop the current designs in whatever physical medium they want.

I’m also saying that, if someone thinks building anything at all in balsa is fun, they can do that instead. Labo didn’t just replace all construction projects with cardboard Switch peripherals.
  • It's hard to begrudge such creativity. I look forward to the inevitable Sex-Cons modding channel on YouTube.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    Escape wrote:
    The fact you can't bend balsa wood

I think Andys point was that the Labo wont stop you using a material other than cardboard, it will be the other material. 

I'm also taking a guess that cardboard is a better conductor of vibrations for certain models, not sure if some of those designs would work quite as well with plastic or balsa.
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Maybe, but we don't know what sort of year the Switch is gonna have. Metroid 4's supposed to be 2019, and I think there's still a good chance that E3 won't bring a flood of third-party support from non-indies. Labbo feels much more suited to the kids' summer holidays to me.

I'd love to know where you heard about metroid given I'm following that particular thing rather closely and whilst it may be 2019, there has been NOTHING revealed on it any way
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Escape gets all his news from some rose tinted version of the 80s.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Vice city
    Tekken
    Gran Turismo

The holy trinity
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    First half of 2018 seems relatively quiet for Switch, I imagine we'll be seeing some big hitters for the second half announced at some point.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Why hello Hollis!

Ma boi
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    First half of 2018 seems relatively quiet for Switch, I imagine we'll be seeing some big hitters for the second half announced at some point.

Bayonetta 3 has already been announced for 2018.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • 2019 release schedule looks pretty bare.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Escape wrote:

I'd love to know where you heard about metroid given I'm following that particular thing rather closely and whilst it may be 2019, there has been NOTHING revealed on it any way

So far they've show NOTHING aside from a logo
    afaik - not following too closely tbf.

If development hasn't even reached a state where they can show any gameplay (at All!), then I can def see where Escape is coming from here.

2018 highly unlikely.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!