Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Looks really neat but I know deep down that we'll just be left with a heap of cardboard taking up space that's only been used for a week or so.
  • I reckon if we get a full weekend of fun out of it with the kids it'll be well worth the money.
  • Vela wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    How on earth is this not the kind of things your kids are gonna be mad into?
    £120ish for two multipacks of cardboard, that's how.  It's an Awesome(o) idea and it'll sell but the truckload, but I'll stick to building robots from the discarded boxes at Lidl.  There's been a giant T Rex from Poundland behind my sofa waiting to be assembled for 6 months.
    You're not being fair here. The game is included in the initial outlay, the cardboard is an extra ten on top of that.  And if you're going to argue whether it's a ripoff or not, look at damn near every collectors edition of useless shit like helmets and posable plastic robot arms.

I don't want to come across as unfair to it, and I'm not even calling it a ripoff for anyone but me.  A few people have mentioned the value families will get from the construction and so on, and that's spot on - if it's your thing, the price could quite easily not be an issue.  I think it's a lovely idea and I even spared a thought for how great it'd be for tons of people on the way to work this morning, but if you're like me and view Lego as torturous flat-pack furniture with no pay-off, a) you're dead inside and b) that money would be better spent elsewhere.  

As for the collectors edition thing, the last two I bought that cost more than the vanilla editions were Gears of War, which annoyed me because it wouldn't fit on my shelf (or kept falling over, I can't remember), and Bioshock because it came with a figure that I sold separately.  I guess it's fair to say I personally view them as a ripoff, but wouldn't dismiss them as such with a blanket statement.
  • I never liked the idea of microperks that are only accessible with Amiibos, so I would call them a ripoff, while we're on the subject.  The unlock is usually cosmetic/minor, so £10.99 for dlc is running a bit rich.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The price is technically the game + cardboard.
    So after the markup for the software and cart (prolly £60'ish, like Zelda at launch) the clever cardboard stuff then looks like about £10/15...

And I agree... The experience presented here is somewhat ephemeral, barring the piano. But the trend this will set will make everyone forget that pretty soonish...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • That's a really lovely thing they've made there. It's not really my thing but lovely nonetheless.
  • It’s... interesting. While I generally like the idea (not for me, but if I lived nearer my nieces I’d buy this to play with them) it does seem a lot; the price rationalisation in here is based on the game(s) being a full price title. I know I’m the one who bangs the 1-2 Switch drum, but I don’t see the replayability in the Labo games. (Btw, I presume it’s LAH-boh, rather than LAY-boh, which is how my brain wants to say it every time.) The fun is in the building. Which is fine, I can see the value in that (I’m currently building a £200 Lego set that I have no room to display once it’s done, and won’t exactly be playing with) but it feels like it’s limited by the packs that come out rather than the players’ imaginations.

I can see the remote control bug app leading to user designs for different functionality; direct control over the vibration can be translated to different final results, I’m sure. But it feels like this should be more open; users being given access to different levels of vibration, the ability to program different input patterns to the IR camera, and different outputs on the Switch screen.

Of course, that functionality might be there, rendering my post moot, but the trailer makes it look prescriptive, limited by the available options.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think comparing the game part of Labo to Zelda and Mario is folly. I mean the best one looks like being the robbit one as they're flogging that as a stand alone, but I'm getting strong Kinect Star Wars vibes off that thing.
  • It’s expensive, I doubt it’s as simple to assemble as they make it look and it may not work as advertised. It’s still a bloody good concept and the most innovative thing I’ve seen from a major games company since the Wii. So good luck to it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think it looks fantastic for kids of the right age. I don't think replayability is an issue. Like people have said, you pay a fortune for Lego and once it's built it's pretty much done with.
  • I think it does look like great fun for kids and parents to build and play with however once it’s built I can see the novelty wearing off very quickly, making it a very expensive outlay.

However this does seem like the kind of thing they could easily make money from, every few months release a new set of flatpack cardboard bits and chuck in a code in the box for some matching DLC, charge £10 a pop and quite an easy way to generate income
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • It's the coding / hacking aspects I'm interested in. Once we see how the piano works, can we make a flute? Or a harmonica?

For inquisitive 12 y olds this could be awesome.

Miles cheaper than Lego Boost which is probably a better comparison than Zelda.
  • my kids are 6 and 9 and love making stuff with paper and card etc...I can see them really being up for this. I'm sure that once built, the games themselves prob don't have much longevity and the stuff lying around will just annoy the wife...but i can imagine that our 'value' from this would be higher than if i was to pay £50 on most recent AAA games for myself.
    Not that i don't still see £70 as a big lump regardless...but it's the youngest's birthday in May so will deffo consider it for that.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Of course the advantage of cardboard is you can likely flat pack it when it's done, or even just bung it into the recycling
  • also, i saw a comment somewhere (in the guardian article maybe?) that suggested nintendo will replace damaged cardboard sheets for free...if that's the case then it means flattening them and rebuilding again and again is more of an option if you know you can replace them once too damaged/worn etc.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • The boy is going to love this. How the fuck does that piano work?

Full vid here:

• IR sensor on the joy con reads IR tape on the back of the keys when pressed.

This now also means that the resurgence of lightgun games is near.
  • IR sensor on the joy con reads IR tape on the back of the keys when pressed. This now also means that the resurgence of lightgun games is near.

Ah thanks. Wait, there's an IR sensor on the Switch?
  • See that black plastic window on the bottom of the right joycon? IR sensor.
  • Was just reading about it there. I'd forgotten the eating thing from the 12 Switch advert. So it's a full on IR camera? I wonder what the resolution is?
  • Nintendo life website are claiming that nintendo will make the patterns available for free so you can make your own cards using a template.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Apparently it can detect what your hand us doing in rock, paper scissors.
  • also, i saw a comment somewhere (in the guardian article maybe?) that suggested nintendo will replace damaged cardboard sheets for free...if that's the case then it means flattening them and rebuilding again and again is more of an option if you know you can replace them once too damaged/worn etc.

Good stuff, I did wonder how many sheets they'd charge for replacement sheets.  Not such a rip off if you're the one who's accidentally ripped it off; they're essentially putting the cost of a tab on your tab.
  • You can tell Nintendo's history as a toy manufacturer. It's undoubtedly helped them in ways that you don't see in the other companies. I suppose their games often feel like toys too, especially the way they treat them as individual things, often building a unique engine for each game.
  • What sort of money are we talking for this?
  • If it asks for money shut it down and hit the link again.

Edit: Or hit the close button. I'll get the hang of this computer malarky yet.
  • Think its a great idea. Could also see smaller packs with codes being sold at lower price points once the name gains popularity.

Price wise I reckon its fine. I've spent a lot more on a lot less for toys for my daughter and nieces and nephews. At least the construction aspect guarantees a certain playtime (like lego).  The games may be throwaway but the pack contains 5 different things so I think there is more than enough there to justify the price.
    SFV - reddave360
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    A little off topic, but possibly relevant.
    Anyone seen this?

https://www.fuze.co.uk/nintendo-switch.html
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!