Deus Ex
  • Invisible War brought in spider bots and neat jack robot skillz.  But its environments were smaller and despite having a private jump jet to zap you around, I don't think you could revisit levels, which was its biggest failure.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I played DX2 for the first time a few months back and it was a chronic slurry of shit.
  • An introduction of the series to new fans?
    An ode and upgrade to the original?
    Although I too haven't played the game for ages so I can't tell how encompassing the rose tinted glasses effect is.
    @mrcrayon
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • New players can play the original. Square Enix can spend the time making a new playground.

I'm not saying the original is perfect buy it is made by a lot of its imperfection. The bad AI means you can dork around. The lams stupid physics allow them to be glitchy stepping stones. Lobbing a grenade in the right holo projector causes the man to run scared.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Take my knife.

• Deus Ex is definitely one of my favourite games of all time. That and Ocarina of Time.
    It's a masterpiece.

What games since offer the same amount of choice, agency, and depth?
    It was the perfect subject for the time. At the height of cyberpunk interest, released just before the Matrix I think, with shed loads of rich content.

The paranoid hacker philosophy permeated throughout the whole game. In MP cheat servers were common, where people would fly around, mass spawn hookers and chickens, modify guns on the fly - I used to run quite a few back in the day, stacking crates, building bases, replacing sub machine gun ammo with shurikens etc.

You'd read lengthy text in the game left behind by someone trying to figure things out, and later modify a file yourself in the game's directory to change it.

Totally agree that it was passion project for the creators and they really wanted to create this world and story, that the conspiracy theories and paranoia were something they really believed in.

Editing files, reading wikipedia and the web extensively on majestic 12 etc. was all part of the experience.

The world was so believable I used to go around and close doors behind me. Much like Ocarina of Time, that's not because it was really realistic (carrying a bomb above your head?) but because you want to believe in the world. You oversee and embrace the flaws, they're part of the charm, and get totally immersed in a rich and deep world created by real talent.

You could shoot your co-workers and you'd get hunted down and killed, rather than have your bullets have no effect. I got Crysis at launch and remember thinking how flashy but hollow it felt in comparison. An NPC would tell you about your mission, then just stand there completely unmoving. You can't shoot them, they didn't talk, nothing. Deus Ex is the opposite.
    Ion Storm put so much time into making everything feel real and believable.

Because of texture constraints they had to cut out the twin towers from the skyline in the first mission.

You could delay events for some time, playing whole sections others didn't.

I wouldn't mind a remake to be honest, so the incredibly ambitious work could get a bit closer to what they wanted to create.

VR anyone?

Get the old team back together, what the heck is Warren Spencer doing these days?
    That would be awesome.

Adding and fixing the things they wanted the first time around - like being able to play the whole game without killing anyone. More choice and even fewer forced events. Even more control over the events.

I'm not even sure a game like Deus Ex is possible these days. Because of the fidelity requirement, making the assets and the core game just takes a ridiculous amount of work. No wonder time isn't spent adding rich content and detail. But the content and story are there with Deus Ex. A remake would be a massive task, but you could then have a modern and slick game, but with real heart and depth.

The fact that is was a hacked together unreal game was part of the charm though. Sliding up ladders with no animation etc. because they hacked them in. The devs weren't engine builders and technically strong, they did what they did best, make an amazingly rich world to play in, steeped in atmosphere.
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • I recall from the EDGE 'Making of...' article that the devs were surprised by how players used the placeable mines to scale walls and subvert the level structure completely.

It was also, let us not forget, the first game you got told off in for entering the womens' toilets.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yeah, both of those things are great examples of what makes Deus Ex so great.
  • Huzza for that post Dan.

Going to spruce up the OP, try and make it a resource for interesting DX stuff.

Definitely check out the sterling work of Threadbare in this Deus Ex Lecture that Bollokov cited earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9H-oYsI40xb7gcRVeZ9cTWamY7kWDPV9
  • Awesome thread. Man that theme tune brings back memories. The MP in this was absolutely brilliant as well. And we haven't even talked about augmentations.

I bought the complete collection on PC for a tenner some time ago, also have Human Revolution (barely played) for Wii U. So PC and Wii U version. Will have to find the time again at some point.

Would be amazing if they did a black messa like project for this. The modding scene for this was massive back in the day. There must be some die hard fans that could do that. A lot of the people that played it back then lead to busy lives now I imagine though.
  • MP you say...had no idea it even had that. Was it via a mod?

Yeah I'd love to have a play around with mods on a remastered version. I don't have a PC, but I hear rumours that Fallout 4 might support mods on console which would be amazing, and promising for this type of thing in the future.
  • i tried hooking up this to my TV, but the game doesnt support widescreen resolutions... probably a  patch/fix out there.

considering the shite that gets "HD remastered" these days this game needs it.
  • Ah that's a shame. Mate I wanna come round and ply it with you, make it work!
  • yeah i'd be up for that nick, though i don't have a mouse...

@tempy, i remember trying that .ini fix, i'd have to redo it every time i loaded up the game i seem to recall.
  • There's a link for a tool too
  • Obviously the PC version is the one you should play, but is the PS2 version even a remotely acceptable compromise?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • For me who hasn't played the PC one, it was worth way more than the 12 quid I paid for it.
  • Stop shaming me, creep
  • They did update the graphics for the PS2 version I believe.
    Wonder if that fed back into the gold version, or was that released before?

Personally I think an FPS should only be played with a mouse or wiimote/gun/pointer.

I couldn't even play HR on the Wii U properly, so hard to aim with sticks! Sure I didn't struggle before, but I never really did console shooting other than Goldeneye and that era - never really did the dual stick thing, although did beat a mate at Halo and stuff. Didn't seem to struggle then, feel old now.

MP came with the game, no mods. But there were multiplayer mods, a matrix mod, all sorts. Think someone even did a star wars thing.

Augmentations in MP were great, and the cheat servers.

Running on top of wooden fencing, using throwing knives, with invisibility. Felt like a ninja.

They dropped MP in Invisible War, but never played it.

The augmentations have a real rock, paper, scissors approach.
    So in MP there was real choice in your approach too. Haven't seen a game since match that level of choice and variety.
    GEPers were lame though.
  • Dan, tnx to you I feel like playing Deus Ex all over again. Your comment on the devs being intricate world creators first is spot on.
    It's the main reason why I put up with the flawed U1engine; the devs present this deep detailed fascinating world that sucks you in despite visuals being stiff and blocky. In '99 It was one of the first games that hinted at the concept of 'open world' games. At least I used to think that as I navigated the game's huge interlinked setpieces.

The same can be said for contemporaries SystemShock and Thief. The 3 games have in common the devs who were once part of the same outfit,  the awesome Looking Glass. That studio alone spawned a lot of today's talent, its impact on gaming today is not to be underestimated.

And also, this game just screams Remake.
    Imagine an updated Witcher-esque open world for Deus Ex where your choices have impact on the world around you. The original vision of the devs if you will.
  • Let's also not forget it was john romero that made it all possible.

• hunk wrote:
    Imagine an updated Witcher-esque open world for Deus Ex where your choices have impact on the world around you. The original vision of the devs if you will.

CD Projekt have already downloaded your thoughts and are making Cyberpunk 2077 as we speak....
  • I adore CDPR, my new favorite game studio.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Let's also not forget it was john romero that made it all possible.

Daikatana will be awesome when it comes out, mark my words.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Let's also not forget it was john romero that made it all possible.
    Daikatana will be awesome when it comes out, mark my words.

My money is on Duke Nukem Forever
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    hunk wrote:

CD Projekt have already downloaded your thoughts and are making Cyberpunk 2077 as we speak....

That game. I will devour it.

I think cyber punk and mushroom Kingdom are my favourite game settings.

• Mankind divided delayed until August
    The Forum Herald™
  • Oh well, more time for Fallout.
  • Edge have given Mankind divided a...
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!