Holidays
  • Funkstain wrote:
    People have got shit to spend their money on and it isn't your highly regulated big day take 2

Heh. Or as my mother in law accidentally worded it when put on the spot regarding why she's not going (while sat in my front room on a video call): "because I don't want to go to your poxy wedding, I've already been to one". I was in the kitchen at the time but I heard it and felt the air turn cold. In the end she apologised for the wording to diffuse it, but otherwise stuck to her guns.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    In our case, my wife is Slovak, with a huge family (multiple dozens compared to my ten or so), and we paid for family to come over and stay in Slovakia, but I gotta say that's the only excuse I can think of for a foreign wedding with expectations of high attendance: several of my friends couldn't make it, but there was no pressure from me, what are you gonna do? We had a small nice party when we got home for those who missed it and wanted to see us 

People have got shit to spend their money on and it isn't your highly regulated big day take 2

Yeah, mixed nationality weddings was the only exception I could think of to that - someone will always be losing out, but you accept that's going to be the case.
  • I'm getting deja vu now so I assume that means I've moaned about this wedding on here before. Sorry.
  • You have. But the advice then was sound, think it was gremill who mentioned similar thoughts about a foreign wedding but ended up having a brilliant time. As did Noxy possibly? Italy?

Anyway you’re going, so you have to suck it up and make the most of it:
    - research a couple of cool locations to take Tilly to
    - get her excited about a plane / being in Spain she’ll fucking love it
    - see if there’s literally anything you’d want to do and carve out the time: a little restaurant, a particular beach, quirky museum, exploring a village or whatever. Your excuse: if you’re spending all this cash and time you’re going to make the most of it and someone needs entertain the kid whilst your wife attends to her highness’ needs

Predicto: you end up enjoying it and not massively regretting the spend
  • Is there a caravan you can stay in?
  • Just had a grumble about it to the wife and she suggested having a couple of days where we both moan about it as much as possible before just accepting it/looking forward to it/not going on about it. Then proceeded to list of a load of her own complaints she's been keeping quiet about. Including the fact that it's not a proper wedding (that's happening over here first and we're going to that too - I knew this apparently), and it's going to be in peak TOWIE territory (Magaluf).

No caravans, luxury living this time. Cheers Funk, I do remember this chat now. Poprock paid for his guests iirc.
  • Fuck that. Easy way out, let's find a way for the government to refuse you a passport.
    Have you considered potentially getting added to the "no fly list"? .it's quite easy... Let's just claim you're a potential terrorist!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    You have. But the advice then was sound, think it was gremill who mentioned similar thoughts about a foreign wedding but ended up having a brilliant time.

Yeah, we went to Sicily for our very close friends wedding. There was no pressure for us to go though - but we wanted to because we'd missed out on an Italy holiday when COVID hit.

Moots circumstances sound shit though - I think the MiL has exactly the right response.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Including the fact that it's not a proper wedding (that's happening over here first and we're going to that too - I knew this apparently)

What the fuck is it then? I know people who married abroad and then had a do when they came back for people who wouldn't be able to go abroad. But this doesn't even sound like the reverse of that, it sounds like a second, fake wedding.
  • EasyJet sale on package holidays seems decent at the mo. Just booked a holiday for the first week of Easter break to Tenerife.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Including the fact that it's not a proper wedding (that's happening over here first and we're going to that too - I knew this apparently)

What the fuck is it then? I know people who married abroad and then had a do when they came back for people who wouldn't be able to go abroad. But this doesn't even sound like the reverse of that, it sounds like a second, fake wedding.

That's exactly what it is. The legally wed wedding bit is here, the ceremony is there.
  • I with everyone else. Just say you can’t afford it. It's a really selfish thing to do unless your going to pay for your guests or suggest attendance is totally optional.

I'd be fuming.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • It's massively selfish of them.
    Put your foot down and say that you're not going
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • They rearranged the date so we could go (Tilly has a school trip on the weekend they initially wanted, which briefly looked like a glorious get out for me). Nothing was booked at the time, so it was nothing more than a 'hey wait maybe we could just do it on this other random weekend ages away that's right next to it' kind of decision imo, but according to the wife this is what's locked us in.

I reckon the only thing that's locked in is the fact that if it rains that weekend instead of the one before we'll be getting silently cunted off whether we're there or not.
  • COVID!! YOU WILL ALL GET COVID!! :) that's your excuse!!
  • My wife's best mate and her bloke (and kid) are going too, and they've already booked it. Can't let them down really, would be pretty fucked up. She knows the bride pretty well but they definitely wouldn't be going if we weren't. I guarantee he doesn't want to go either.

It'shappening.unexcited.gif.
  • You're going to have to go, but that doesn't mean you can't get gloriously drunk and start a fight with someone.
  • Maybe I'll hijack her carefully curated playlist and start playing Johnny Cash instead of Peter fucking Andre. Like the opposite of what happened at my wedding.
  • You're going to have to go, but that doesn't mean you can't get gloriously drunk and start a fight with someone.
    Do that!
  • I feel for you, Moot.

One of my sister-in-laws got married overseas (not just ceremony, but actually married married).  When I first heard, I kicked off with wifey and we had a big argument.  But that's me, I like getting my point across :)

But SiL did put us up in a LOVELY hotel (or whatever it's called in Marrakech, a riyad?) with food etc - her hubby is loaded.  We just paid for cheapish flights in advance.  Plus we didn't buy a gift or give money.  All in all, we weren't out of pocket by much.  And had lots of fun out there, it was lovely.  So it can work out.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I cannot get my head around your SiL even deciding to call it a wedding. It just isn’t. What it is however is a reason to let Tilly have a bash on a plane for a few hours and see a little bit more of the world. Magaluf may not be a great example of the rest of the world but the sun will look different and the sea will be warmer. Go for her, stay for the cocktail buckets.
  • I got her to make a list of the top 5 reasons she's looking forward to it on the way home from school today. 1 was staying in a hotel, 2 was a hotel breakfast buffet. I kept my Travelodge comment to myself. She's been learning Spanish on Duolingo too.
  • :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • And Korean. And German as of yesterday. So I'm not getting my hopes up for full fluency.
  • The Moots are going to Magaluf!
  • The Moots are going to Magaluf!

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Anyone got any central Paris hotel recs??

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!