Holidays
  • Wookie bossing it there, swinging between being the ultimate misanthrope and the cool community provider.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • If left to my own devices and not having to interact with everyone I’m just dandy plus building a fire with caveman techniques and then cooking meat on it? Oh man, that’s what I do best
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • If left to my own devices and not having to interact with everyone I’m just dandy plus building a fire with caveman techniques and then cooking meat on it? Oh man, that’s what I do best

Sadly or otherwise, depending on one’s take on things (I know what yours is!), the part of my holiday that I enjoyed the most was doing a small non-strenuous trek by myself and just wandering around a small village, enjoying my own company.

That’s not to say I don’t like spending time with my family, on the contrary that’s what the holiday is all/mostly about. But I do enjoy trekking/sight seeing and being left along to enjoy it.

(I wandered off by myself at an old archaeological site / old ruins too and that was fun. Got several texts from wife all worrrid and I do remember kids yelling for me when I wandered off... didn’t mean to worry them!)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    If left to my own devices and not having to interact with everyone I’m just dandy plus building a fire with caveman techniques and then cooking meat on it? Oh man, that’s what I do best

Sadly or otherwise, depending on one’s take on things (I know what yours is!), the part of my holiday that I enjoyed the most was doing a small non-strenuous trek by myself and just wandering around a small village, enjoying my own company.

That’s not to say I don’t like spending time with my family, on the contrary that’s what the holiday is all/mostly about. But I do enjoy trekking/sight seeing and being left along to enjoy it.

(I wandered off by myself at an old archaeological site / old ruins too and that was fun. Got several texts from wife all worrrid and I do remember kids yelling for me when I wandered off... didn’t mean to worry them!)

I do that all the time when forced to go on holiday. Love wandering off and exploring on my own. I could quite happily go spend a week somewhere on my own, doesn’t mean I don’t love having my family with me but I know that a small cabin by a lake with nobody around for a week would be my wife’s worst type of holiday so she’d happily stay behind!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Ended last night with a blazing row with my father in law, he was drunk and being rude, disrespectful and belligerent. had to walk away before I belted him. Think this really will be the last time I come along to a family trip.
  • Spent pretty much the whole day yesterday at a lake near the town of Obertraum. It was very warm (about 34-36 degrees) and so much of the time was spent in the actual lake mucking about with my two boys, the eldest of which turned 13 yesterday.
    3_FB5_DD0_B-5_F04-4_C39-8736-434_E6_DD015_A5.jpg
    C952842_E-4_EE0-4339-8_A3_A-_CABB897532_F5.jpg
    The Austrians really know how to do family leisure time (at least when it’s not taking place in an underground bunker). It cost about €30 for 5 of us to get in for the entire day and food and top quality beer was also very cheap. They had diving boards off of a pier, pontoons out on the lake ranging from basic platforms to massive inflatable trampolines, a water slide, pools for the little ones and a small beach too.
    6224_F411-821_C-4_FEC-9729-_B7000892_E9_F4.jpg

A great day out, but I’m paying for my lack of fitness today - aching all over.
  • Currently on a train to Edinburgh to add me and my family to the swarming hordes at the festival. There has been a drunken fight amongst the passengers already, which bodes well I think...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Driving back home :-(
  • @Gremill That looks amazing! I used to love going to lakes like that when I was a kid. Anything involving deepwater and jumping off things was my jam.

Hope your kids loved it and you didn't get sun burnt. Looks like a scorcher of a day.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    Currently on a train to Edinburgh to add me and my family to the swarming hordes at the festival. There has been a drunken fight amongst the passengers already, which bodes well I think...

Christ. I'm getting out of the city today because yesterday was wild.

What plans u do? Ideas for food needed etc?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Currently on a train to Edinburgh to add me and my family to the swarming hordes at the festival. There has been a drunken fight amongst the passengers already, which bodes well I think...

Christ. I'm getting out of the city today because yesterday was wild.

What plans u do? Ideas for food needed etc?

The plan is mostly just to wing it, and see what's going on. In the past that's always worked well for us (often seeing great stuff we would never have seen otherwise). However, this is the first time trying it with the kids, so I fear disaster beckons...

We'll probably take much the same approach to food to be honest, but thanks for the offer. (Actually, having said that, if you've any suggestions for places that will suit both a vegetarian teenager and her mostly carnivorous sister I'd be grateful...)

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The car is singing along to the Frozen soundtrack. It's like my life has rewound three years, and not in a good way.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Okay, so for kids stuff I'd go to either George Square or the Underbelly firstly.

Foodwise, I'd recommend the following -

Tanjore on Clerk St - Indian, cheap, BYOB, not normal Indian food (south Indian) with less of an emphasis on heat, and more on variety. Huge vegetarian options.

Ting Thai Caravan on the Mound - again, cheap, plentiful for meat and vegetables, and highly rated. My wife's top 10 for sure.

Pizzeria 1926 on Dalry Road - affordable, fun pizzas, properly made in a stone baked oven. Edinburgh's best pizza.

Vietnam House - just off Morrison st (near the cineworld - walkable, but you would need to Google maps) - just stunning Vietnamese food. Lots of veg options too.

El Cartel on Thistle St - proper Mexican food, catering for all types of diet.

If you have any specific types of food you're interested in, let me know.
  • That's brilliant, thank you. Definitely a few there that will go down well, and yes, will probably head to George Sq and take it from there.
    Thanks again.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Good to see the French way of drinking a bottle of wine in the motorway service station is still A Thing
  • tin_robot wrote:
    That's brilliant, thank you. Definitely a few there that will go down well, and yes, will probably head to George Sq and take it from there.
    Thanks again.

How old are the wee ones Tin? Got some show recommendations dependent. Also happy to say hello and shake your hand as I'm dotting about the city for the 10th day running.

• acemuzzy wrote:
    Good to see the French way of drinking a bottle of wine in the motorway service station is still A Thing
    You driving home now? We’re you at the same service station as me or does that just happen at every one?
  • Frosty wrote:
    @Gremill That looks amazing! I used to love going to lakes like that when I was a kid. Anything involving deepwater and jumping off things was my jam.

Hope your kids loved it and you didn't get sun burnt. Looks like a scorcher of a day.

Yeah it was amazing! Kids loved it - my wee one said that it was such a fantastic day that he felt like it was his birthday.

Currently in Germany, at Chiemsee (a huuuge lake) doing boat trips etc.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    That's brilliant, thank you. Definitely a few there that will go down well, and yes, will probably head to George Sq and take it from there. Thanks again.
    How old are the wee ones Tin? Got some show recommendations dependent. Also happy to say hello and shake your hand as I'm dotting about the city for the 10th day running.

They’re not that wee at all any more.  Eldest is 15 and is OK with most stuff, the youngest is (young) 13 and is the one we have to be a little bit careful with - something we’ve largely failed to do.  She balked slightly at being encouraged to sing along to a song about not showing your cock to women in the workplace, for instance...  (Alice Fraser’s “Ethos”, which I thought was excellent.)

So any recommendations will be gratefully received, though sadly right now we’ve retreated back to the flat as my wife appears to have come down with food poisoning (not due to any of Reg’s suggested eateries I hasten to add).
  • I’m on a boat!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Here we go, the final day of travel before we arrive home. Can’t wait!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Which train you in today?
  • 5.50pm. You?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    2:36
  • Lucky bugger. We’ve had to check out of our hotel and have a whole day to kill before we can get on our train :(
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    We've already had a four hour drive today though, so it's hardly all rainbows and unicorns!
  • Oh yea, good point. How’s it been? Family coping?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Touch and go. Generally better than the journey down which was pretty horrendous, but tempers now getting frayed...
  • Oh dear. Same here, kids have had enough and are getting whingey plus we’re hungry and had to make a big detour to find some place open that serves lunch and is kids friendly.
    We have hours to kill and no idea how I’m gonna keep the kids happy for that length of time!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    We're at the terminal now. Not too busy here, but gutting to see English chain stores are a week of boulangeries :-(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!