Holidays
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Had been following adventures in the fitness thread, but Davy you are truly looking in excellent shape these days. Looks like a great holiday too.
    Oooooh, that's a very good point! Looking great there Davy. Keep up the good work.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Wow, that’s a good point. Looking at the photos, it didn’t occur to me at all that davy was trying to or indeed needed to lose weight. Looking good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cheers gents. 5 stone off but I'm still weighing in at 16 and a half stone. Would like to get down to 15st.

I've a biggish frame so I can get away with carrying the extra weight I currently have. But for health reasons I'd like to lose a bit more. My BMI still has me as obese which makes me query its validity to be honest.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 5st! Well done Davey. I’m about your height and weight (and frame it sounds like) - if I were the weight that is apparently recommended I’d look like a skeleton.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK wrote:
    Cheers gents. 5 stone off but I'm still weighing in at 16 and a half stone. Would like to get down to 15st.

I've a biggish frame so I can get away with carrying the extra weight I currently have. But for health reasons I'd like to lose a bit more. My BMI still has me as obese which makes me query its validity to be honest.

Good job Davy!
    And you’re right to question the validity of BMI.
    I’ve worked in the fitness industry for nearly 14 years now as a PT, trust me when I say that BMI just doesn’t work much other than to give you an arbitrary number that is worked out via an equation that was created during the war in which the whole country was rationing and therefore suffering malnutrition.
    It isn’t relevant to today’s standards.

I’m 11stone and work out several times a week, I lead an active lifestyle and train and teach martial arts. I lift weights, I hit pads, I spar and fight and I’m classed as “overweight” even though I have trouble putting weight on. It’s due to the muscle density vs fat ratio, pound for pound muscle weighs more than fat does so therefore it’s possible to have a low level of body fat and still be “obese”.

You’re not “obese” mate. You’re just heavier than an old, out of date and entirely irrelevant set of standards.

You’re looking good my man.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cheers to all. Encouraging. I am quite happy with how I look for the first time in a very long while.

I've always thought BMI was too simplistic - not allowing for muscle density etc. but being rated as obese still shocked me. Anyhow - still would like another bit off as I still have a bit upholstery on my gut that I'd like rid of so I'll carry on. I'm sure I put a few pounds on in the US anyhow as the food was great even though I avoided the bad stuff which I don't really have a taste for any more anyhow.

I'd like to do a bit of toning using free weights or dumbbells - so I might get some of those and check out a few exercises on the web.
  • For many people (but not all) I’d say BMI still has a pretty decent part to play and deciding that it doesn’t take into account how much muscle you *think* you have is a slippery slope to take.

Anyway holidays not weight loss.
  • Still, well done Davy. You’re looking great for the effort you’ve put in.
  • On the topic of holidays im very pleased that our family holiday is over for another year and the good news that my wife’s family will only do this once every two years now just fills my heart with joy.

So I’ve got Christmas at home here with my family (a quiet, one day affair) followed by my wife and kids going away to see her family on New Years (leaving me home alone for a week) and then no big massive family epic trip next summer?

Brilliant.

And yes, I’m well aware this makes me sound so damn odd lol
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Looking smart as fuck, Davy. Keep bossing it.
  • Currently our exciting trip to Lake Garda has consisted of 9 hours at Manchester Airport. Sigh. Still, the kids have been amazingly patient, and hopefully we only have an hour left to wait. Fingers crossed we still have some sort of transport waiting for us at the other end, as the walk from Verona to Limone is a long one...

(I'm starting to think our holiday plans are cursed this year, but still, at least it's a break from work. None the less, I fear I'm becoming an honorary Griswold.)
  • That sucks mate. Hopefully things will improve.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Currently our exciting trip to Lake Garda has consisted of 9 hours at Manchester Airport. Sigh. Still, the kids have been amazingly patient, and hopefully we only have an hour left to wait. Fingers crossed we still have some sort of transport waiting for us at the other end, as the walk from Verona to Limone is a long one...

(I'm starting to think our holiday plans are cursed this year, but still, at least it's a break from work. None the less, I fear I'm becoming an honorary Griswold.)

Oh dear mate. I’m sorry to hear about the delay :( hopefully it’s resolved soon
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Spent the day in Alnwick which turned out to be a pretty good idea. Started off in Barter Books which is an enormous second hand book shop inside what used to be a train station. Absolute joy to potter about in, @Gremill if you've not been you should pop in next time you're up that way, there's a little comic/graphic novel section for you. Not too sure about the labelling of the shelves though:
    ArSDSmy.jpg

Then we had a wander around Alnwick itself, a spot of shopping for chocolate and cheese (my rum and whisky hopes were dashed at seeing A'bunadh for eighty quid and the boggo Auchentoshan nearer £30!) then a couple of pints and a nice steak before we finished off in the Bailiffgate Museum which had a toy exhibition on so the kids loved it.

mQeKoeg.jpg

A grand day out.
  • Yup. Sounds grand.
  • Did you see any massive clocks?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    We did! Although the boy thankfully didn't pass comment on them.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ah there's an 'l'
  • @sparky -will do, we’re up there a few times a year but never actually been into the town.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    ArSDSmy.jpg

That looks like the hardback version of CatCF I read as a kid from the mobile library.  :)

I'd have bought that on the spot.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye, just about everything is in hardback. I'd imagine if you like collecting books, or have a few favourites you'd love a nice show copy of for the bookshelf, then that place will get pretty expensive.

Wish I'd taken more pictures, there doesn't seem to be that many on their site but it's a cool building. The site has stuff like The Iliad from 1812 and a book on fly fishing for three grand under the Special Books link, well worth a gander.
  • JR Hartley?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Heh, I couldn't find that or the Necronomicon, the search continues.
  • I’m on a boat!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I never get tired of watching that.
  • Off to Spain today, eurocamp as taking the boy away. 10 days of sun, swimming pools, slides and fun times
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Cross your fingers for ten days of sun, the weather has been really weird this year.
  • Yeah fingers crossed. Weather isn't good in England so hopefully it's better over there!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!