Pro Evolution Soccer (Shiny New Thread for 2016)
  • Nothing wrong with that scoreline.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • it's a pretty tough thing to balance really...same could be said for most games but it's prob more acute in sports games...you want it to seem like a challenge, but where you can still win, and not be frustrated by having to work too hard, and you can take an underdog and win thanks to your own 'skill'.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • it's a pretty tough thing to balance really...same could be said for most games but it's prob more acute in sports games...you want it to seem like a challenge, but where you can still win, and not be frustrated by having to work too hard, and you can take an underdog and win thanks to your own 'skill'.

Yeah I think I've actually against myself previously, saying that it's got to be part of the game - how else would they ramp up the difficulty? Would just be nice if they were a bit more attacking maybe, rather than just hogging possession. I'm sure there's some PES DNA type deal that is supposed to make different teams play differently. Not long until the update now so I'll have a better impression after some mega Master League sessions :D
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Has the transfer update been released for this then? Quite fancy restarting my Master League with the proper squad, I'll miss you Jonas!

Anyone up for a few games later on? I've not played it online yet.
  • 29th I think for the update. 

I would play you, but Halo
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll be on the morra then
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye you're right Elf, had the 27th in my head for some reason.

See you tomorrow hopefully.
  • Today's the day! ... as long as they don't fuck it up. Which they will.
  • loxdog wrote:
    Today's the day! ... as long as they don't fuck it up. Which they will.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand they did. Transfers not as up-to-date as they promised, Martial is at Man Utd if you play online with live updates - offline with the new data pack and he's still at Monaco. The editing community isn't happy as the update overwrites faces they'd created. When will they fix the transfers? I give it until 2016
  • That's rubbish. Is it just Martial or is that just one you have picked up on?
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Eric wrote:
    That's rubbish. Is it just Martial or is that just one you have picked up on?

There are a few according to forums etc. Not many but enough to lose confidence!
  • lols!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • This game could be so, so good. But there is so much wrong with it preventing that.

I would love Konami to give the PES series to someone else how, like 2k games for example. Konami are such an incompetent organisation now. It's been over a month and the game still doesn't have up to date rostas. Also, lack of fouls from the CPU is a major bugbear. There are a hundred other things wrong with it but I can't be arsed to list them.

The 'best sports game evaaaa' awards from Eurogamer and the like were a complete farce.

• XIII wrote:
    This game could be so, so good. But there is so much wrong with it preventing that. I would love Konami to give the PES series to someone else how, like 2k games for example. Konami are such an incompetent organisation now. It's been over a month and the game still doesn't have up to date rostas. Also, lack of fouls from the CPU is a major bugbear. There are a hundred other things wrong with it but I can't be arsed to list them. The 'best sports game evaaaa' awards from Eurogamer and the like were a complete farce.

Wrote a really long post about this then closed my window... I'll try again.

The thing with PES and probably all sports games is that you need a long period of time with the engine to find the flaws. I've just gone up to superstar and finding all the problems reported; this is only in ML and not myclub. Teams can start being peak Barca and pass the ball around until they score in the 92nd minute with their first shot. They foul you a lot and they never seem to get called. Oh and your strikers are always in bad positions to receive the ball. However, the superstar gameplay is much better and they score decent goals as opposed to top player where they just scored the same goal over and over. I'm massively addicted but that's probably to do with player signing over anything else. 

Also the state of the updates is a joke. Can't believe how badly they've handled that and communication with users. The fact that they don't change the trophies/achievements highlights how little they care about the end user.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    loxdog wrote:

Yep.

Unbelievable.
  • loxdog wrote:
    XIII wrote:
    This game could be so, so good. But there is so much wrong with it preventing that. I would love Konami to give the PES series to someone else how, like 2k games for example. Konami are such an incompetent organisation now. It's been over a month and the game still doesn't have up to date rostas. Also, lack of fouls from the CPU is a major bugbear. There are a hundred other things wrong with it but I can't be arsed to list them. The 'best sports game evaaaa' awards from Eurogamer and the like were a complete farce.

Wrote a really long post about this then closed my window... I'll try again.

The thing with PES and probably all sports games is that you need a long period of time with the engine to find the flaws. I've just gone up to superstar and finding all the problems reported; this is only in ML and not myclub. Teams can start being peak Barca and pass the ball around until they score in the 92nd minute with their first shot. They foul you a lot and they never seem to get called. Oh and your strikers are always in bad positions to receive the ball. However, the superstar gameplay is much better and they score decent goals as opposed to top player where they just scored the same goal over and over. I'm massively addicted but that's probably to do with player signing over anything else. 

Also the state of the updates is a joke. Can't believe how badly they've handled that and communication with users. The fact that they don't change the trophies/achievements highlights how little they care about the end user.

Konami couldn't give a shite about us, it's true.

I loved and bought every PES and Winning Eleven title back in the day but the series is in a mess now. Love or hate the FIFA gameplay, as a package it's a million years ahead of PES 2016.

I fear for the series - I think they have one more, maybe two releases left in them before they call it a day. They can't be arsed it seems.
  • I've gone from being hyped enough about it to post this thread, to never playing it and seriously considering trading it in.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's perfect Saturday afternoon fodder though, blast a few games of Master League off while listening to the results come in. The problem is I've rarely got a Saturday afternoon to burn these days.

I moved up to Superstar, I'm winning even more than I was at Top Player, looks like I'm going to win the league in my first season. I don't enjoy it as much though, it's so fucking attritional against the AI as you can tell they don't care about scoring and are just happy to have the ball. You'll battle for a few chances, take a couple if you're lucky then they'll flick the switch and become unstoppable. I might just knock it down again as if I'm going to win the league anyway I may as well enjoy the games.

It's still the best football game since the PS2 days, but it's certainly not perfect.

I'd like a game or two against some of you mooks though, learning to play against the predicable AI is nothing in comparison to a human opponent.
  • Tomorrow night?
  • Yeah maybe closer to 9:30. Depends when kids go to sleep
  • i reckon it's the lack of access to decent multiplayer that is most damaging for PES these days.  back in the day, i'd have mates around to play at mine, or go to mates to play regularly, and those sessions are where the real magic of the gameplay came through.  local multiplayer is just not as much as an option now i'm an old man, but the presentation and online structure around PES is so shite that decent online multiplayer is also too much of a faff.
    i still loved playing master league back then too, but i doubt that the AI was really any 'better' or more fun back then - though it was probably just helped by the game being relatively simpler, so while the AI could still fuck you over, it had fewer methods to do so which gave you a slightly better chance of predicting and dealing with it.  master league is just not quite the same now because over the years-  a: familiarity breeds contempt, b: more realism and flexibility in the engine means more ways to get pissed off, and c: we don't have regular multiplayer magic to break it up and keep the love pumping!
    plus they've changed the essence of master league with too much emphasis on realism and a shit management sim...i always considered old classic master league with it's credits to be much more like a grinding rpg (except one i actually liked!) and enjoyable for it.
  • Yep agree with that Ram.

Another huge issue I have with PES now is that unless you play with manual controls, it's far too easy to score long range screamers.  The ball flies in like an automated missile.  And it doesn't matter if you've got control of Messi or Milner, you can smash it in.

Konami have sped the game up as well to appeal to the FIFA fans.  I had to play PES 2016 on -1 speed.

Online is a mess but it always has been with PES.  Most people buy it for single player I'd imagine.  But there's only so long I can put up with the CPU scoring the exact same low shot past my dodgy keeper each and every time.

Meh.
  • I moved up to Superstar, I'm winning even more than I was at Top Player, looks like I'm going to win the league in my first season. I don't enjoy it as much though, it's so fucking attritional against the AI as you can tell they don't care about scoring and are just happy to have the ball. You'll battle for a few chances, take a couple if you're lucky then they'll flick the switch and become unstoppable. I might just knock it down again as if I'm going to win the league anyway I may as well enjoy the games.

I'm leaning towards that at the minute  - initially was enjoying it a lot but it is such a grind. Don't score more than 1 in a game and any chances I get are half chances. Squeezed in a game last night against WBA and scored in the 91st minute to win 1-0, although I did spend the time editing their kit before I played them which I guess is why I didn't have much time...
    XIII wrote:
    Online is a mess but it always has been with PES.  Most people buy it for single player I'd imagine.  But there's only so long I can put up with the CPU scoring the exact same low shot past my dodgy keeper each and every time. Meh.

Sad that we have to accept how bad the online is and nothing we can do about it. I like myClub but only play against COM, actively avoid playing online against humans due to the lag/chid keepers.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm heading on now Elf, bring your A game.
  • I don't have an A game!

On in 10 hopefully. How many matches you after? I'm good until around 10:30 or so or maybe 11, but that would be a lot of matches.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Well me and Elfonso had a game. Or tried to, we got to the 80 odd minute mark and the connection dropped. It was utter piss, severe button lag and stuttering all the way through.

How the fuck is it so hard to make a 1v1 online game run smoothly? I dread to think what the 11v11 mode is like.
  • And that's after 20 minutes of me trying to connect to the PES server. Shambles.
  • I dread to think what the 11v11 mode is like.
    i tried it briefly on the pc version, it was awful.
    awful to get to in the menus, awful to find a game, awful to get in the game, and then really laggy and slow in game.
    pretty sure they don't have any servers, it's all p2p stuff...you have to trawl through the slow menus, pick regions and groups and eventually pick from user created 'servers'...so good luck finding an open one with decent connection and number of players...then you have to sit and wait forever for the game to end so you can join, at which point half the people leave anyway...then when you eventually play it's like slow motion.

in comparison to fifa (when i last played a few years ago anyway) in which you basically chose the '11v11 randoms' menu option, dropped in a lobby that filled in seconds, then the game basically started, and ran pretty smoothly considering

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!