Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    The fact that senate seats are per state, giving disproportionate representation to low-population states, which are generally the rural ones, which are generally republican, is kinda an inbuilt problem.

The flip side is you’re a small area and you have specific needs and interests in your area, do you have zero say in government because you represent not as many people.

Should New York City people have the overall say in how Alaska is treated?

It’s an awkward balance but the problem is not better solved (IMO) through pure proportional rep but instead working and fighting to give people in those what they need and having politicians that work for that end.

It is a tricky one, but it’s hard to look at what’s currently going on in the US as democratic. Kavanaugh’s an excellent example, a president who failed to win the popular vote nominated a judge who something like 56% of the population disapproved of who was confirmed by senators representing 40% of the population leading to a Supreme Court that’s more right wing than the population as a whole. All on top of those same senators refusing Obama’s pick to the Supreme Court a few years’ previously.

Relying on politicians’ better natures to make up for the failings in the system has clearly failed.
  • Well. This is a new one on me. I went to read an article on the LA Times website (about the brothel owner who won a seat in the midterms last night despite having died a month ago) and got this:

lSxmCUf.png

I guess they just couldn’t be arsed complying with GDPR?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Website is slow in updating to meet EU regulations is all.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Or it might have decided that it can’t be arsed.
  • Noticed that a few months back when doing some media monitoring. A fair few US outlets haven't complied so access is denied for now.
  • Its super hard to get around too.
  • Q's the clearance level at the White House. Anon is because they're anonymous.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Looks like there might be a recount for the senate seat in Florida.
  • poprock wrote:
    Well. This is a new one on me. I went to read an article on the LA Times website (about the brothel owner who won a seat in the midterms last night despite having died a month ago) and got this: lSxmCUf.png I guess they just couldn’t be arsed complying with GDPR?

Yup. Can't blame them, GDPR is an absolute nightmare. My company only has 2 employees (my wife and I), but it still took almost a week to put everything in place, write up all the policy docs, email all our clients with consent forms etc. etc.

I can only imagine how much of a headahce it is for a large organisation...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They could simply stop storing any data from users in the EU, that’d make it easy enough.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    They could simply stop storing any data from users in the EU, that’d make it easy enough.

It's a bit tricker than that. It's not just data storage it covers ( it's also all forms of data HANDLING, which is a very different matter), it's a whole raft of things including cookies, trackers, extensions... The list goes on. Basically, all the stuff that makes a modern website work. And you have to get explicit consent from each user for any of those things to be used or say hello to massive fines.

So the only way round (without being GDPR compliant) it would be to build two websites – one for EU citizens that doesn't handle or store any data, and one for everyone else. And the EU one would be massively compromised because most of the functionality wouldn't work.

It's a ball-ache.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think you’re mistaken there, it covers information that can be used to identify an individual, it’s perfectly possible to build a website which works without handling personally-identifiable data.

We process a hell of a lot of personal data at the Graun, but if you access the site, you can still read it without consenting to anything at all. There’ll be an annoying pop-up at the bottom of the screen, but the site still works fine above it without a single consent given.
  • I think you'll find a lot of work was done by the tech team to make things GDPR compliant behnd the scenes. That 'one click' does an awful lot. There's little incentive for a non-EU organisation to go to that trouble if the EU isn't a prime amrket for them.

Trust me, it's a nightmare. I've even had to get my clients to sign an agreement so that I can invoice them for work they ask me to do.

It's completely barmy.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m saying that the site works without any clicks.
  • Again, the tech team will have done a lot to remove standard tech that other countries use without your permission. Trackers, cookies etc. To get the site to fully function without those is not simple. If your site is reliant on those things, you probably won’t want the cost of re-engineering unless you have to.

Yoss, this is what I do for a living fella.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    And I’m part of the Guardian’s tech team (even if one of the less techy members). I’m not talking from a position of complete ignorance as to what we’ve been doing.
  • Fair enough. I’d imagine large EU organisations have been getting ready for it over a couple of years, so maybe it wasn’t such a traumatic transition. But there’s no way non-EU organisations would be bothered to reengineer their sites just for us.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Don’t get me wrong, it was definitely still traumatic, but most of the trauma seemed to come from the umpteen-billion databases that we seem to have decided to spread account details across and setting things up so users could manage their own data.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Trump’s press conference sounds unhinged. Apparently losing the house is a victory because it will reduce gridlock.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Jeff Sessions has reportedly resigned.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My report says fired.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, resigned at Trump's request, so basically fired. Mueller needs to get a move on, or the Dems need to move tomorrow to protect him and his investigation.
  • Aye, Trump's taking aim at Mueller. Will be interesting how this plays out.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Sessions resignation letter was undated and had no reference to any recent events. I wonder how long Trump’s had it for?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ruh roh
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Dems don't have their house majority until January, is that correct? Trump could do some real damage between now and then.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yup. Mueller could be gone.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But the house could rehire him to conduct their investigation and there wouldn’t be a thing Trump could do about it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!