Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Voter suppression and targeted influence to dissuade are not the same thing imo.
  • Voter suppression and targeted influence to dissuade are not the same thing imo.

Voter suppression includes:

Challenging registration spuriously
    Disseminating fake news and tactics to deter
    Arguably, criminalising great big sections of the community so they're disenfranchised.

It does not include political advertising to make them think, fuck it I won't bother.

I agree that microadvertising using data as a better targeting tool (not the same as big data) is making a previously lawful but arguably immoral tactic more effective. But the US has been dirty AF forever, this is not new, it's using new tools to do old dirt.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • The US registration is stuff is so dirty, you have no idea..people challenging new entries based on race basically, ends up in courts etc. Fucking night and day compared to us.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Aye, it's absolutely fucking immoral.
    Worst thing is they don't care as it's not deemed an illegal tactic. For now at least.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • If anyone doesn’t go out to vote because of Facebook. Man.
  • If anyone doesn’t go out to vote because of Facebook. Man.

They know a thing or two about engagement but it's broader than that. You can get anyone to believe and do anything if you know how but now it's done in amazingly subtle ways. I'm not immune and neither are you.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • No I don’t doubt that but voting in a democracy feels like it should be important enough to bypass whatever tricks they might throw at you.

It’s a bit like the old hypnosis thing - you can’t be hypnotised to do something you didn’t want to do. There has to be lines that feel like a con on the face of it.
  • It's far easier when the Dem candidates are people like Clinton or Biden, who seem to be offering basically nothing. Biden is hoping people hate Trump enough to vote him out. Otherwise he wouldn't inspire anyone.

Centrists take certain groups' votes for granted, without realising how close they are to going 'ah, fuck it.' It only takes a little push.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Voter suppression and targeted influence to dissuade are not the same thing imo.

Voter suppression includes:

Challenging registration spuriously
    Disseminating fake news and tactics to deter
    Arguably, criminalising great big sections of the community so they're disenfranchised.

It does not include political advertising to make them think, fuck it I won't bother.

I agree that microadvertising using data as a better targeting tool (not the same as big data) is making a previously lawful but arguably immoral tactic more effective. But the US has been dirty AF forever, this is not new, it's using new tools to do old dirt.
    Was some of the microtargeted not "fake news"? Maybe people would argue that's subjective... don't really know. But yeah it's bullshit basically.
  • Is the first debate tonight? Biden needs to knock it out of the park on this one. A poor showing and I can see his lead falling away.

I wonder will trump walk around the stage like he did with Hill dog.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    There are very few undecided voters. Unless either side has an unmitigated disaster I don't think the needle will move very far.
  • If there are undecided voters a big data system like FB and an AI crawler will find and target them. Also, Trump's latest behaviour may or may not have repelled certain groups in the base.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Inspirational leaders are a double edge sword.

A good leader won’t cut it if change is needed. America needs to be at the level of its leader before they can do anything, let alone do something radical. I can only see an incremental model working (it sounds like Biden is that incremental guy).

I think overly dramatic changes always look suspicious and its certainly completely suspicious for a nation fat on its swashbuckling mythology.
  • As always, crayocentrist “sensible incremental realistic” post disappoint.

Biden is not incremental. He is status quo. He and his ilk are why we have brexit and trump. Brexit and trump are not incremental. They are substantial, radical, even revolutionary change - leaving unprecedented politics in their wake at every turn. To think the best way to fight that is some establishment fucker like Biden is just...I don’t even get it. How can anyone think that
  • I read someone (in the FT I think) who was making the case that a beige nothing man was the best thing for America at the moment. Given the factionalism and the careering towards societal breakdown, you have just some guy, someone both sides can live with. Whose every action won't send one section or another into apoplexy. 

There's something in that, but you're not changing much like that. And the existing system, and people's desire to change it, is what created this mess.
  • FT in centrism rational choice calm down politics as usual shocker

If by live with, the guy meant that everyone hates Biden equally then sure, don’t see how that heals the rifts
  • Maybe Biden can do a rap or something? Young folks and black people love that rapping. 

Rifts healed!
  • Funkstain wrote:
    FT in centrism rational choice calm down politics as usual shocker

If by live with, the guy meant that everyone hates Biden equally then sure, don’t see how that heals the rifts

FT are obvs centrist right but they haven’t been status quo for a while. Paraphrasing, their position is capitalism is broken, causing chaos in politics and the environment, let’s fix it, creating a system people believe in so we can all get back to making money.

On the second point, I don’t think Biden is hated except by the fringes of either side. The ones who hate everybody who isn’t their particular guy.
  • And their solution to fixing capitalism is vote in a "safe moderate pair of hands" (Clinton, Blair, Cameron, Obama, Biden, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc). It has never worked before but THIS time, we're gonna fix everything with Biden!
  • Biden, a nothing who everyone can live with. Doesn't fix anything. Next time another extreme right-wing guy claims they can fix things. They win.
  • No wait I've got it - it's get in Biden, just to lower the dial on the vitriolic schisms, which will successfully prepare the ground for a truly progressive nomin- oh. no that's not it either. hmm
  • Centerism - the failure enough people can agree to give another go.
  • I...look this was just one guy in the FT who had at least one positive thing to say about Biden getting in. Who I thought had a mildly decent point, even if he’d overlooked a huge problem.

The choice is Biden or Trump. Piss poor options but there you go. No contest. Either fix nothing or destroy everything.
  • We don’t really see any of real America. The real change will happen at the bottom and you’ll see the president that reflects that if it ever happens.
  • The MIT Tech Review have a nice simple article on current demographic/targeting methods used by both sides - particularly on how it’s evolved since the last election cycle.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/09/28/1008994/the-technology-that-powers-political-campaigns-in-2020-explained/
  • monkey wrote:
    The choice is Biden or Trump. Piss poor options but there you go. No contest. Either fix nothing or destroy everything.
    Yeah, fine. But that's a different point. It's not 'the best thing for America at the moment', it's the the only choice against a worse one.
  • JonB wrote:
    It's not 'the best thing for America at the moment', it's the the only choice against a worse one.

I dunno, isn’t that Hobson’s choice exactly the ‘moment’?
  • Insofar as the entire labour movement or something to replace it is going to need a generation or more to do anything like reconstitute itself in the States (and here) as a political force to be reckoned with I couldn't give a fuck who takes office this round. I don't know why anyone thinks the Dems will cock it up less than the GOP at this point, the latter will just be more formally spiteful as they do so.
  • JonB wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Yeah, fine. But that's a different point. It's not 'the best thing for America at the moment', it's the the only choice against a worse one.
    ‘Best thing’ was my words that I dashed out not anticipating the reaction.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!