Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • There's been a lot in the news recently that suggests that free movement of people is something that only exists as free as it does because our governments don't want to implement an ID card system.

Essentially the controls can exist on labour but you need a robust check in system and a way of removing people efficiently.

And because that stuff is in turns liberally repugnant and expensive we have the system in the form it is in. (As in these are the reasons the governments won't do it)
  • WorKid wrote:
    Realistically there is no "soft" Brexit option. We are leaving the EU, the EEA, the single market, the customs union and everything. Brexit will be hard as nails. Two issues - free movement of people and ECJ - mean that's inevitable I'm afraid.
    None of the options are acceptable or realistic though. Hard brexit won't happen because it's a disaster and there isn't enough time to get everything in place for it. Soft Brexit makes the nutters kick off. No Brexit likewise plus all the Leave voters will join in. 

Most likely is some phased transition where we're effectively still in the EU for years and years, and with the ultimate destination still undefined. People wouldn't be able to properly kick off as hard brexit would still be possible. And the opponents of this arrangement would have no idea what to suggest instead. Although no one would be actually happy with that arrangement.
  • I like the idea of a transitional arrangement that lasts for the duration of my lifetime.
  • There's been a lot in the news recently that suggests that free movement of people is something that only exists as free as it does because our governments don't want to implement an ID card system. Essentially the controls can exist on labour but you need a robust check in system and a way of removing people efficiently. And because that stuff is in turns liberally repugnant and expensive we have the system in the form it is in. (As in these are the reasons the governments won't do it)
    I'd take an expensive ID card scheme over Brexit any day of the week.
  • How long would it take for all the Brexit nutters to die off? If we can spin this out for a while, and then end up re-joining, that would be fun.
  • The EU won't want it.
    They want us gone, or staying because the uncertainty will be impacting their investment potential and weakening the Euro.
  • Free Movement might be one of the biggest misnomers ever, and it feels like a large part of the pro-Brexit campaign was on it. I wonder how many people on the street think it literally means anyone can come here with no restrictions?
  • In 12-15 months, when whatever agreement we make is being passed around European parliaments for agreement and people in the UK can see what 'the deal' looks like and what it means for our country, majority support for this whole thing is going to collapse and we'll have another round of British political chaos.
  • The thing is any trade agreements we make after brexit will almost certainly be done with us offering visas.

Guess what, Cornwall will still be full of white people whinging about foreigners they never actually see.
  • The EU won't want it. They want us gone, or staying because the uncertainty will be impacting their investment potential and weakening the Euro.
    They can get what they want by having a transitional deal that we have no choice but to accept, but that definitely makes us worse off. Schengen, no rebate, special fees for access etc. 

Who knows though? Our own government might not make it to the end of next week, let alone oversee all this stuff with May at the helm.
  • Silence peasants, the Queen is about to talk.

She is about to read May's list of demands policies.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    As far as Brexit goes, I think that the EU would gladly take us back should we change our mind, although not with the rebate again. Ultimately, that will do the least harm to everyone, even if we are a pain in the arse.

Free movement (to whatever extent that it exists) and the ECJ are potential sticking points in regards to an EEA type arrangement, but I'm not sure that these are red lines for many in parliament beyond May and the hardcore Brexiteers, and I suspect they're outnumbered.

My predicto at this stage in the game is at worst we end up in the EEA with everything that entails.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    How long would it take for all the Brexit nutters to die off? If we can spin this out for a while, and then end up re-joining, that would be fun.

I may be misremembering but I think there's supposed to have already been sufficient demographic shift that Leave probably wouldn't win a second referendum.

"ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Obviously this is all anecdotal, but the mood amongst Germans i know (almost exclusively left-leaning) seems to be that they'd wish we'd hurry up and fuck off. That is a noticeable change from last year, where they mostly seemed to hope we would change our minds. There certainly seems to be a growing appetite to make this difficult, and not just as a last resort.
  • That's the same view I get from my European chums. If you don't want to play then fuck off and do it quickly.

I suspect we will end up with transitionals that take 10-20 years to work through. But FMOP and FMOC will be sorted straight away. And no chance we stay under ECJ.

Even if it looks and feels like we are still EEA in a number of ways, we won't be. We'd have to contribute for one thing. No chance.
  • We're on the naughty step for at least five years. I'm ashamed to be British, but no real change there I suppose.
  • If you're going to shoot yourself, better to do it in the head than in the stomach and bleeding out, right?  Just go hard brexit and get it over with asap.
  • I wonder if in ten years people will be happy to join the eu but with the Euro along with it.

I don't think id want to rejoin on those terms despite me wanting to remain in the eu right now.
  • I'm unconvinced by the Euro under the current conditions for it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oh God just discovered a uni "friend" of mine has a major role in this shit show.
    On the other side, the MP Suella Fernandes is chosen as a new face to lead the European Research Group of 60 hardened old faces who brought us to this Brexit crunch

Might log on to Facebook to send her my thoughts on the matter...
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suella_Fernandes

Says a lot of what she "supports" but i cant find a single reason why.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ok we're not actually friends on Facebook. Which probably makes sense, thinking about it.
  • Try not to be friends with cunts eh?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    * logs onto ps4 *
    * deletes hylian_elf *
  • Brexit is so insane I can't remember the basic arguments for it. What's the reason people want to cut net migration again?
  • I'm actually being serious btw. I can't remember, outside plain xenophobia, what the proposed benefits might be.
  • they-took-our-jobs-guy-they-took-er-jerbs.jpg

Oh that was it. Jesus.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!