Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • We did something stupid so we might as well make it as stupid as possible?

It's not clear at all what people voted to leave the EU for, and Norway and Switzerland were frequently touted by Brexiteers as options we could copy. The referendum was simply on whether we are in the EU or not. No one had a plan for how exactly that would happen, and no one voted for the form it would take. No one even voted for why we would be leaving which is why the insane wing of the Tories are free to make up any old shit based on what they want.

As such, it's incumbent on the government to deliver on what the referendum said (leave the EU) in the way that inflicts the minimum damage possible to the country.

Wrong, that would defeat the entire purpose as to why the Leave campaign was instigated. They want a free for all market environment, this is what certain elements of the right believe in. They're counting on the economy to fall over with Brexit. Imagine the nation's assets and resources up for grabs, cheap as dirt, privatised. Remember how the Russian oligarchs made most of their fortune?

It's going to happen, one way or another.
    While the plebs fight and argue over race, nationality, borders and income the rich will be......raking it in?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Also, pop quiz question... Straight out of HIgNfy... To who is this quote attributed?...
    “Time and time again, information is withheld from the public for no good reason other than to spare the blushes of the powerful.”
    :}
    Is it Peter Molyneux?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahaha

Won't somebody think of poor Milo
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • At a guess, dickhead Davis, at some point in the past when that suited him.
  • Hunk, that's irrelevant. The question on the ballot was "Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?"

The Leave campaign can want anything, I want Kylie Minogue naked and sat on my face, I'm not going to get it.
  • I'd hold a second referendum on that basis.
  • Hunk, that's irrelevant. The question on the ballot was "Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?" The Leave campaign can want anything, I want Kylie Minogue naked and sat on my face, I'm not going to get it.

Fair enough, I guess it all boils down to whom you believe to be in the Brexit driving seat.
    KM on your face is not a bad thing to have on your bucket list.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I have been thinking through a possible timeline of events.

Phase one.
    Davis and May present a total shite of a deal that involves a hard border in Ireland.
    The Irish reject it. As do Lab,Lib and SNP with the thinking being they can more easily negotiate a trade deal later from a clean slate once in power as a coalition.

Phase Two
    The landslide rejection of the deal results in a vote of no confidence, General Elecection and a coalition gov not involving the Tories.

With the best intentions gov returns to EU to renegotiate a deal, which the EU are open to.

However in this time billions are being spent on writing laws, building borders and lorry parks. Austerity continues to bite as solving it takes a back seat to wooing the EU.

Phase 3
    Tensions rise in Ireland.
    Austerity on one side of the border is juxtaposed by an increase in wealth as the other trade shifts heavily to RoI. This creates a Berlin wall lite.
    We will be shown Flossy visuals of border stations that look a cross between a service station, Asda car park and Heathrow terminal 5. The reality, at least for the first 5 years will be concrete barriers, chain link fences and insecure lorry parks in Calais more vulnerable than ever to illegal immigrants breaking into lorries.

Those nostalgic for the days of the troubles who have sat dormant see a new generation to recruit marches start first before things get nasty.

Phase 4
    Under pressure of returning to the bad days gov is forced into giving an Indyref to Northern Ireland.
    They have the option to remain, Indy or join RoI.
    Joining RoI wins landslide as it gets them back into EU and pulls down the borders quickest.

Phase 5
    Scotland want a piece of the action and also vote yes on an Indyref. Scotland fast track to join EU as, since brexit, they kept what laws they had control over inline with EU laws.

End result.
    England and Wales now surrounded by EU nations taking any and all passing trade on it's way to Europe.
    We attempt to rejoin the EU a decade later, much poorer and paying more in without Thatcher's rebate.
  • If you think joining RoI will solve the NI situation, you're deluded. Just swap a majority for a minority innit.
  • What if the UK joined the Republic of Ireland?
  • Interestingly as I understand it the Scottish Government need to ask for permission to hold a referendum. The NI Government do not. They can have a referendum on independence any time they want.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    If you think joining RoI will solve the NI situation, you're deluded. Just swap a majority for a minority innit.

If you think people won't vote to make their lives worse you must be deluded.
  • Surely Scotland on its own wouldn't reach the criteria to join the EU?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Surely Scotland on its own wouldn't reach the criteria to join the EU?

It doesn't, but don't let that put Salmon and Sturgeon off, wow, who's next Perch, Pike, Shibunkin?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • http://uk.businessinsider.com/bank-of-england-no-deal-brexit-checklist-2017-11

Typical Carney being an expert and using facts. Clearly hasn't been told we're having a cake and eat it Brexit.
  • If we leave the EU without a trading arrangement, Scotland ain’t going anywhere. They will struggle to get into the EU with their deficit, that Brexit will make worse. And they might eg be paying two sets of tariffs to get their lorries into Europe if they left the UK.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    In which of those phases do we leave the eu, live? Phase one, sans deal?
  • Yeah correct Muzzy.
    Tory deal is rejected which defaults to no deal.

I wasn't aware of Scotland not meeting terms of the EU so can scratch that part. Still leaves us somewhat in limbo surrounded by something we aren't a part of.
  • The Telegraph understands that the final figure, which is deliberately being left open to interpretation, will be between €45bn and €55bn, depending on how each side calculates the output from an agreed methodology

Take back control, have your cake and eat it, no magic money tree etc

Edit: from here but its paywalled.
  • That is roughly the figure it has always been really. Somewhere between £40bil and £50bil.
    They chanced their arm at 20 and Boris tried scare tactics at 100.

It sounds a lot of money, it is a lot of money, but if it buys a decent trade deal then it is worth it. The idea the EU has hold us to ransom though is a bit of an exageration, divided between 27 countries (not that it will be dished out as such) it is a drop in the ocean really.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you think joining RoI will solve the NI situation, you're deluded. Just swap a majority for a minority innit.
    If you think people won't vote to make their lives worse you must be deluded.

I won't be voting for RoI tax regime - and anyone who would , would need their head examined.

And a referendum here will not wipe away approx 800 years of history , most of it soaked in blood.

And it would an NI referendum , not an all Island one. That would have been akin to having a UK wide ref for the Scottish question. And even it it were, why would the South want us?  A toxic, expensive and over subsidised mess which is just under the paper thin bonhomie we currently enjoy - which at any time would be ruptured by the inherent rage many here still have for various reasons.

It's a fucking wreck - Cameron's legacy. The outcome of a sordid, wretched , ill conceived and planned referendum that was unnecessary and the campaign of which was a nasty, shameful shambles.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • What criteria does Scotland not meet?
  • None for the EU but all new members seem to have to agree to join the Euro and they're way off from meeting the criteria for that. Their deficit is too big. And at that point (having left the UK) would be probably even worse off. Or they'd have to want to join but have their currency managed by England. Which doesn't seem like something the EU would like much.
  • That is roughly the figure it has always been really. Somewhere between £40bil and £50bil. They chanced their arm at 20 and Boris tried scare tactics at 100. It sounds a lot of money, it is a lot of money, but if it buys a decent trade deal then it is worth it. The idea the EU has hold us to ransom though is a bit of an exageration, divided between 27 countries (not that it will be dished out as such) it is a drop in the ocean really.
    It doesn't buy a decent trade deal though. It buys (maybe, depending on NI border) access to start discussing a trade deal. Seeing as we've been hammered in every round of this so far, that's unlikely to start swinging round in the UK's favour either. 

It's bananas we're doing this. Pure madness. If we'd had a referendum on properly funding the NHS, it would have been a landslide and the money could have been used for that. We could actually solve* one of our biggest problems in this country. But no, fuck it in the bin instead chasing some mad dream.

*well not 'solve', it's all debt. But at least you'd have something to show for it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Another dash of pepper is a border would break the terms of the post ceasefire Good Friday Agreement. The border is an incredibly divisive thing - though I can't imagine too many people here wanting it - North or South. 

I keep hearing people say there are solutions as to how a non-intrusive border could be implemented but no-one has actually explained it in layman's terms how it would work in any amount of detail- and if it is a tech solution they had better get off their collective arses and start implementing it now.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • monkey wrote:
    None for the EU but all new members seem to have to agree to join the Euro and they're way off from meeting the criteria for that. Their deficit is too big. And at that point (having left the UK) would be probably even worse off. Or they'd have to want to join but have their currency managed by England. Which doesn't seem like something the EU would like much.

Several countries are technically obligated to join the Euro, but the EU isn't actually making them. There is no time limit on having to join, so it's considered this can basically be put off indefinitely. You have to agree to join only when you meet the criteria, you don't have to meet it when you join the EU.
  • I'd imagine that's very dependant on the quality of the economy you bring in though right? The euro has recovered but not enough to take on some of the weaker nations.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Sweden has been avoiding it for the entire time it existed.
  • Sweden doesn’t have a deficit of ten per cent of its GDP. Appreciate the points you made though.
  • True, I was thinking more of the recent applicants. Sweden came in just after their economic crisis so possibly it wasn't a big deal. I'm sure the eu would have loved to get the UK into euro though
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!