Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Just reading this.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/23/dominic-raab-theresa-mays-deal-worse-than-staying-in-eu

They are lining up Raab as PM for sure. I thought I would have a look at the betting odds and oddschecker has him as favourite.
    May deal will get rejected, then Raab to come in and negotiate a no deal transition I reckon. He is aligned with leave but isn't the fucking monster mash like Gove, Mogg or Johnson.
    I'm calling it now.
  • If Miliband was too wet to be PM, Raab has got no chance.
  • We will have to see how he eats a sandwich.

Look at that list, I dont see who else stands out...
    https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-prime-minister

Javid - Tory voters are too racist.
    Mogg - Monster mash
    Hunt - tarnished with failure
    Davis - too grey, no ambition
    Jayawardena - name too awkward for tory voters
    Leadsom - Leadsom
  • Future debates should just be food eating contests. Points for quantity and style.
  • Ken Clarke, finally. He crushes the Eurosceptics, possibly literally, and takes us into the Euro.
  • Prescott returns to the cabinet.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/23/sajid-javid-abandons-plans-to-ban-50-calibre-military-grade-guns

ERG wanted to willy wave so blocked a ban on 50 cal weapons. I kid you not.
    The DUP and Kate Hoey also blocked the ban.
  • monkey wrote:
    I went to the first page of the thread by accident and decided to browse through some of the old chat. There's definitely less racism around this whole issue now than there was a couple of years ago. Now it's all technocratic detail and trade deal codswallop. I think May should probably get some credit for that. If it was PM Johnson, he'd certainly be stirring that pot instead of dealing with the specifics and complexities.

No. Fuck May. She's absolutely fucked this and sown the seeds for social upheaval for a generation.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/23/sajid-javid-abandons-plans-to-ban-50-calibre-military-grade-guns ERG wanted to willy wave so blocked a ban on 50 cal weapons. I kid you not. The DUP and Kate Hoey also blocked the ban.

But... Labour supported it, so they would have won the vote.
  • No that was Cameron. May has fulfilled her job as fall guy in exchange for the footnote in history as PM.

Edit: @Workid
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • No she hasn't.

She could have, in fact promised, to bring the country together and behaved reasonably and got us to this point with this deal which was more or less where we were always going to end up, without all the drama, without all the posturing, frankly without continuing the lies.

But with the zeal of the convert she's had to prove she's up for Brexit and dug her kitten heels in and pisses everyone off. We're more divided than ever, not prepared for our new future, and she's still dealing in absolutes.

Every single decision she's had to make, every speech, every argument, every interview, she's fucked up.

I have nothing but contempt for her. I honestly think a Gove or a Johnson would have been more moderate, with the grace of the victor. Well maybe not Johnson. But you get the point.
  • Lol, Gove and Johnson as moderate pm.
    Would never happen, they would never accept the role of the fall guy.

And someone must fall. You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • WorKid wrote:
    No she hasn't.

She could have, in fact promised, to bring the country together and behaved reasonably and got us to this point with this deal which was more or less where we were always going to end up, without all the drama, without all the posturing, frankly without continuing the lies.

But with the zeal of the convert she's had to prove she's up for Brexit and dug her kitten heels in and pisses everyone off. We're more divided than ever, not prepared for our new future, and she's still dealing in absolutes.

Every single decision she's had to make, every speech, every argument, every interview, she's fucked up.

I have nothing but contempt for her. I honestly think a Gove or a Johnson would have been more moderate, with the grace of the victor. Well maybe not Johnson. But you get the point.
    I agree with all of this apart from the last paragraph. I was only saying that at least she’s not a rank racist as well.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    She’s a racist alright, just one who is careful enough to pay lip-service to not being one. The immigrant go home vans, the Windrush scandal, the fact that she has interpreted the Brexit vote as being primarily about immigration and making that her one unbreakable red line. She’s racist as fuck.
  • FTR I don't think May or anyone in this country was ever in a position to get even a half decent deal, because any deal is worse than what we've already got because it's a series of compromises, so that really only leaves no deal or staying in.

I still think we're going to end up on a no deal and I'm sure that was the plan from the get go for whichever truly odious cunt first started orchestrating this mess from the sidelines.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian wrote:
    She’s a racist alright, just one who is careful enough to pay lip-service to not being one. The immigrant go home vans, the Windrush scandal, the fact that she has interpreted the Brexit vote as being primarily about immigration and making that her one unbreakable red line. She’s racist as fuck.

You don't think Brexit was primarily about immigration?
  • At least we now know what a red, white and blue brexit is.
  • Yossarian wrote:

No. It was about rich people making more money by trading against the falling pound and by setting up the UK to accept shite quality produce from the US and China and worsening workers rights to make us more attractive for big businesses who want to make even more money.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

It might have been, nobody ever bothered to check, though, it was just taken as read.

There have certainly been studies that suggest that people wouldn’t back curbing immigration if doing so made them poorer, that suggests that immigration wasn’t the overriding concern.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

No. It was about rich people making more money by trading against the falling pound and by setting up the UK to accept shite quality produce from the US and China and worsening workers rights to make us more attractive for big businesses who want to make even more money.
    Right but that’s not what people voted for. They voted for control of immigration and primacy of U.K. law. May’s not incorrect in the way she interpreted the result imo. She was completely wrong to not prepare the ground for the compromises she’d have to make to achieve those things. She should have been clear from the start about the likely trade offs so there isn’t all this faux outrage now.
  • She's still going on about immigration.

Those people who came here legally to study, works fall in love, pay taxes, contribute to society?

They "jumped the queue".

Fuck me. Creating more divisions. She's a fucking horrible woman.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

It might have been, nobody ever bothered to check, though, it was just taken as read.

There have certainly been studies that suggest that people wouldn’t back curbing immigration if doing so made them poorer, that suggests that immigration wasn’t the overriding concern.

They were promised that it wouldn’t make them poorer though. It was Project Fear to suggest otherwise and Johnson and Gove said it would all be piss easy. So they did vote on immigration.
  • monkey wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Right but that’s not what people voted for. They voted for control of immigration and primacy of U.K. law. May’s not incorrect in the way she interpreted the result imo. She was completely wrong to not prepare the ground for the compromises she’d have to make to achieve those things. She should have been clear from the start about the likely trade offs so there isn’t all this faux outrage now.

I know.

People would never vote for brexit if that was the way it was presented, so they were fed some nice warm diarrhoea about brown people or people with strange accents stopping us from having Xmas and taking all our jobs instead which it turns out a great many were happy to swallow.
  • Spot on monkey btw.

Everyone, on both sides, should stop talking in absolute terms and recognise the trade-offs.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Oh certainly that was the aim of the people "up there" and that's certainly what it was always going to be, but where I live and on my Facebook feed at the time, 90% of the conversation was regarding border control, with a small dose of "unelected bureau-foreigners".
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

They were promised that it wouldn’t make them poorer though. It was Project Fear to suggest otherwise and Johnson and Gove said it would all be piss easy. So they did vote on immigration.

Some did. How many? 48% certainly didn’t. Did all of the remaining 52% vote on immigration? If not, what proportion did?

Immigration was certainly the loudest voice, but that doesn’t mean that it was the main reason people voted for Brexit necessarily, and if people are faced with a choice between stopping immigration and being poorer, or not stopping it and not being poorer, which would they choose?

Making immigration your primary red line without checking to see if that’s what people were really voting for, or if it is actually what the majority of people want, is pretty irresponsible, IMO.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My parents voted for Brexit because they thought it would bring down house prices(!). They have no issue with immigration.
  • Unless I missed it, May hasn't said what happens to immigration rules yet. We could be in for a massive influx.
  • There’s loads of polls and stuff. Immigration is always a massive component of Leave voters motivations and usually something even a lot of Remainers aren’t that happy with.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to pursue that, even at economic cost, if that’s what people want. But she doesn’t have that mandate. She has the mandate to do it while still keeping all the benefits of the single market. If she were honest that controlling immigration would have a cost, even the Brexiters would have lined up against her. Tough shit though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    She specifically lost her mandate when campaigning in that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!