Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • What do you think will happen next, Armitage Sharktank?

I have no fucking clue
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Didn't expect that.
    Will have to see where the FTSE is tomorrow.
  • Blocks100 wrote:

The UK can then just devolve back into a collection of independent city states like in olden times.

THE KING IN THE NORTH!

FTFY

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    EU reiterating that the deal can’t be renegotiated. This is it, take it or leave it.

https://twitter.com/C4Ciaran/status/1085263717632274432
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    A second ref would be too divisive. We would have right wing BNP goons harrassing people outside polling stations. Things could get very ugly.

Things are already divisive. 

If anyone attempts to harass people outside of polling stations, they would be arrested. Police already look at high risk areas and take pro-active steps to prevent this. If there was a serious risk, there would be a police presence at polling stations.
  • monkey wrote:
    It’s only happening if Labour make it party policy. But then it almost certainly would. How many Tories are needed? 10-20?

Labour can't propose legislation, except via private member's bill which is very restricted. You can count on one hand how many of them get through. And it takes months. And they tend to be short, single issue bills.

Anyone want to guess how long the EU referendum bill was? And how long it took to get through parliament?
    Parliament can amend any Brexit legislation they want eg May’s deal gets put through but requires second referendum ratification.
  • It’s not happening without the PMs eventual acquiescence though. She has to see it as the only way of getting her bill through. Everything else will be tried first.
  • Ye need to be gone sooner rather than later, we have our own shit to deal with and we can't while Brexit hangs around like a turd from Sellafield.

Our government is awful and needs to be replaced except on this one issue where they play a fucking blinder everyday and so no general election is going to happen here while ye continue to fuck about.

No deal crash out looks like the best option, since I don't believe anyone will recind art. 50 and don't trust the public not to vote leave again If a second ref happens.

Can't kick the can forever. Such a waste of energy.

Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    kneecap wrote:
    No deal crash out looks like the best option

It’s literally the worst option, for us and Europe, but mostly us.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    kneecap wrote:

But I think Kneecap means at least its done. There is no guarantee that delaying this shitshow will result in a better position further down the line. So thats means you are just delaying a no deal exit.

I'm not happy about that in any way but I see where Kneecap is coming from and find myself agreeing reluctantly. The cloud of brexit is as damaging as no deal really. Once the decision is made, even if its no deal, we can all start to work on that outcome. At the moment its limbo and not the good dancing variety
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian wrote:
    kneecap wrote:

Yeah, not even the ERG want crash out.

Every option will be explored before this.
  • . wrote:
  • monkey wrote:
    The 2nd ref is the only way out of this. And by this, I don’t mean leaving but of political paralysis.

What needs to happen in order to call a referendum? How might the "political paralysis" which it's meant to get us out of help or hinder that happening?

Have you thought about that?

So what's the answer to this question then?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    kneecap wrote:

But I think Kneecap means at least its done. There is no guarantee that delaying this shitshow will result in a better position further down the line. So thats means you are just delaying a no deal exit.

I'm not happy about that in any way but I see where Kneecap is coming from and find myself agreeing reluctantly. The cloud of brexit is as damaging as no deal really. Once the decision is made, even if its no deal, we can all start to work on that outcome. At the moment its limbo and not the good dancing variety

It really, really isn’t.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It really, really isn’t.

For you, but not for us.

It's a massive kick in the balls, but eventually we move forward, (likely with a shine new 100% beach and cliff based border)

As a country you're not going to recind article 50 and stay in the EU permanently
    You won't choose any soft Brexit
    You won't accept special status for NI
    You won't accept the backstop.

There's nowhere to go from here. You have to fundamentally change or we may as well go full mad Max no deal a week on Wednesday.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • kneecap wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    It really, really isn’t.

For you, but not for us.

It's a massive kick in the balls, but eventually we move forward, (likely with a shine new 100% beach and cliff based border)

As a country you're not going to recind article 50 and stay in the EU permanently

There's nowhere to go from here. You have to fundamentally change or we may as well go full mad Max no deal a week on Wednesday.

This is the best piece of analysis on this thread. It is in substance this deal or no deal.

• Lib Dems have tabled an amendment that calls on the Government to "take all necessary steps to prepare for a People’s Vote in which the public may give their informed consent on leaving the EU or retaining the United Kingdom’s membership of the European Union”.

This was an amendment that the Lib Dems tried to get voted on today.
    Bercow didn't accept it. I don't know why he would or wouldn't or what's behind that stuff*. I know there needs to be further primary legislation for a referendum which was why I said May would have to accept it. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-deal-vote-what-are-the-key-amendments-mps-have-tabled-for-debate-a4038926.html

*Edit - I assume he knows, in this case, they're doing it for a stunt and it would never win.
  • The 2nd ref is the only way out of this. And by this, I don’t mean leaving but of political paralysis.
    What needs to happen in order to call a referendum? How might the "political paralysis" which it's meant to get us out of help or hinder that happening? Have you thought about that?
    So what's the answer to this question then?

My guess?
    May will only give in to a 2nd ref if and when she feels she's out of options i.e. when her mp's (and the tory base) turn against her and threathen to abandon supporting her as pm. GE is the absolute last option as the Tories don't want to risk Corbyn becoming pm.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    kneecap wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    It really, really isn’t.

For you, but not for us.

One of those will give. We have no other choice.
  • I actually think we (as in parliament) would accept a soft brexit.
    May's Deal was a pretty hard form of brexit.

A softer form like what Corbyn wants would likely pass parliament.
    It would piss off the public but no more than no deal or remain would.
    In fact, those with any rational thought would probably concede it best to move forward.

Those are the 3 options.

EU will go for it as well. I know they say they are done but that is because we haven't change our stance yet. May's talk right after the vote was laughable. She was talking like she missed out by a few MPs abstaining.The EU can't get behind that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    FWIW, I believe that the leaders of the EU genuinely would prefer us to stay. They keep on offering us the chance to remain, they clearly aren’t doing that because they think that no deal is a better option than temporary uncertainty.
  • monkey wrote:
    Lib Dems have tabled an amendment that calls on the Government to "take all necessary steps to prepare for a People’s Vote in which the public may give their informed consent on leaving the EU or retaining the United Kingdom’s membership of the European Union”.

This was an amendment that the Lib Dems tried to get voted on today.
    Bercow didn't accept it. I don't know why he would or wouldn't or what's behind that stuff. I know there needs to be further primary legislation for a referendum which was why I said May would have to accept it. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-deal-vote-what-are-the-key-amendments-mps-have-tabled-for-debate-a4038926.html

Because it was totally the wrong time table it or amendment to be tabled. Same reason Benn pulled his amendment to rule out no deal.
    They aren't really amendments as much motions.
    May's deal had to have a clear vote on the deal itself. There were a few ammendment proposals that would have muddied the water even more than it is. Not useful.
  • Yeah I thought that and did an edit.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    FWIW, I believe that the leaders of the EU genuinely would prefer us to stay. They keep on offering us the chance to remain, they clearly aren’t doing that because they think that no deal is a better option than temporary uncertainty.

absolutely, but they've never said otherwise.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The message coming from EU capitals: you’ve done this thing to yourselves, you sort it. You have options, including returning this to the people. The EU isn’t going to fix your problem, it has already done all it can.

https://twitter.com/ottocrat/status/1085309268528635904

I genuinely think a people’s vote may be the only option available.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

absolutely, but they've never said otherwise.

No, but Kneecap did.
  • . wrote:
  • Tusk talked about extending Art.50 until July only this week.
    I cannot for a second imagine he was referring to May' s hot chat lines calling up the EU leaders for another 6 months. He had to have been refering to a new option.

The ECJ ruled in December that the UK can unilaterally revoke Art.50.

If there is a movement to closer alignment or remaining then the options are on the table.

What the EU won't tolerate is another 2 years of the horse shit games we have been playing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!