Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • how does "the deal" do vs each "extreme" option of remain or no deal? 
    Poorly. 'No one' likes it, and it's just as unpopular as a 2nd ref. 
    survey.png

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/03/01/where-we-stand-brexit

The rest of your post is completely out of line.
  • So 37% (potentially as much as 58%) is no one?

Where do they make people like you?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I don’t see someone liking something and seeing it as an acceptable compromise as the same thing. You really don’t get to claim ‘Not sure’ for yourself.

13% of people think it’s a good outcome. That’s 13% of people that are happy and everyone else has to swallow it. The CU and SM looks like the best compromise. It’s the second most liked, second most accepted compromise and least hated.

• That's nonsense, just hot air. What's your evidence for it placating no one? There will be plenty of remainers and soft / recalcitrant brexiteerw who will be glad this shit is "over". They'll form the middle ground which shouts the crazies down.

The problem is that its momentary. It being 'over' only lasts an incredibly short amount if time. Then we have the next stage which will be just as toxic as 2016 to now.
  • I can swallow May’s deal tbf. It’s only the WA and it keeps us in the CU and SM until Boris Johnson’s Magic Irish Border Technology is invented.
  • Dispatches on C4 tonight about EU workers leaving the UK. 
    The interviewer asks a a British fruit farmer why he voted for Brexit...
    He answered that he was sick and tired (he got quite animated) of this country being dictated to by unelected EU officials (do we not vote for EU representatives!?).
    He was then asked if he realised that when he voted for Brexit that it would destroy his business that relied upon EU workers. 
    Yes, he knew it would kill it but it was for the good of the country. 
    Fucking moron. 

I equate the more adamant brexiters to religious fanatics. There's no reasoning with them, there's no debating, it's just all 'belief' over reason.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • About a year ago now I remember C4 news interviewing a farmer who voted leave.
    His farm was half in NI half in RoI.

Anyway, I caught the tail end of that Dispatches earlier, interesting that they may have had trouble recruiting anyway as Eastern Europe becomes more well off, so employees have to come from Russia or Ukraine.
    I still dont fully understand why Brits cant do the job, I had mates in 6th form that used to pick fruit in the summer.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's transient work, that doesn't pay particularly well. The majority of people in the UK who are in a position to do that would rather do it in Europe or Australia or New Zealand as part of a working holuday/back packing thing.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    About a year ago now I remember C4 news interviewing a farmer who voted leave. His farm was half in NI half in RoI. Anyway, I caught the tail end of that Dispatches earlier, interesting that they may have had trouble recruiting anyway as Eastern Europe becomes more well off, so employees have to come from Russia or Ukraine. I still dont fully understand why Brits cant do the job, I had mates in 6th form that used to pick fruit in the summer.

I'm not going to aim this at just the British but I see it in Ireland as well - young people want top wages straight off the bat. Now I'm not talking about someone getting a qualification and then having to start at the bottom, I mean for any job. And I kinda understand why. The overall cost of living has risen so that a nice starter job getting a basic wage doesn't really give you much. I started as a KP many years back and I was able to rent a small bedsit at the age of 18 which was wonderfully liberating. That's not possible anymore. So if you are still stuck at home, the job has much less appeal (I think anyway)

Edit: And Goobers point is correct too.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It is possible to do it but we are also blinded perpetually by messages of how we are rubbish if we don’t have x. It’s really really really wearing to live in this world and keep deciding you don’t want or need the next thing.
  • This is what many voted for though isn't it?
    British jobs for British people.
    Thems the jobs.
  • If you voted for Brexit, you now have to do those jobs. Farage is first up.
  • Not sure I want him touching my plums.
  • Currently watching A Clockwork Orange, worried a similarly miserable future is where we are headed.
  • Especially for those who are lactose intolerant.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A good thread on the lack of compromise in the talks from a Brexiter.

The notion that Remainers were not willing to compromise is not true in my experience. But being told to accept that 52% of the votes equals 100% of the say is NOT compromise, it's being vanquished.

There was a window where a softer-brexit could have saved Brexit. But sadly the headbangers and fruitcakes wouldn't listen. They wanted it all, and like Icarus they believed their own PR, echo chambers and thought they were invincible.

They still do.

And when Brexit is killed, they won't see their own tactical ineptitude.

Thread starts here: https://twitter.com/AdrianYalland/status/1115360516027949057
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Feels less and less likely that things are coalescing on a sensible plan. Which is worrying given we have three days to go. Mogg doing what Mogg does too, I think he's the actual enemy of the people, somewhat ironically.
  • I think the opposite.
    Cooper-Letwin was made law last night, May legally has to attempt to get an extension.
    Some of the ERG are resigning to the fact May's deal might be the best they can get and are beginning to back it.

May is stubborn but she is talking to Labour now, that is a mammoth shift, she isn't entertaining the ERG anymore.

We are heading for a long extension I think, Emails have been sent to potential Tory MEP candidates, the EU aren't on board with this short extension but seem happy to go with a long extension.

It is a big week for sure but I don't think we will be leaving the EU by the end of it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm still not sure - Cooper-Letwin doesn't give any guarantees of an extension (the EU might reject) and let's May choose the timeline.  A long extension is pretty disastrous for the Tories (in their reading at least), so she really won't want to do that...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I genuinely don’t see the extension being rejected. If Ireland were making noises similar to France then maybe. Ireland is the country with the most to lose from a hard Brexit (aside from us, obvs.), I don’t see any of the other EU27 being the ones to push this onto Ireland if they don’t want it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Has may asked for one beyond 30 June yet?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No, but I expect she’ll get one anyway.
  • Well. Hard brexit social media types (egged on by the Daily Mail, naturally) are now pointing blame at the Queen for, I dunno, something. Apparently she shouldn’t have signed Cooper’s bill into law, despite Parliament voting it through. So now it’s her fault they are not getting the brexit they voted for.
  • Let them have it, let them rage over nonsense while the adults talk.
  • wrong thread, oops!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • poprock wrote:
    Well. Hard brexit social media types (egged on by the Daily Mail, naturally) are now pointing blame at the Queen for, I dunno, something. Apparently she shouldn’t have signed Cooper’s bill into law, despite Parliament voting it through. So now it’s her fault they are not getting the brexit they voted for.

At some point they really will be raging against the clouds wont they?

I mean, blaming royalty is such a European thing to do...
    SFV - reddave360
  • What's the point in having an unelected overlord unless they're going to crush democracy from time to time?
  • Theresa about to meet Macron, let's go France, please just put us out of our misery.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yeah could see that happening earlier. Macron's was the main hurdle but no single nation (at least not a sane one, Italy might) will force us into no deal.
    They will face the wrath of the other EU states that will lose out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!