Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The government's Migration Advisory Commission has recommended that the salary threshold for skilled migrants from outside the EU should be lowered from £30,000 to £25,600. Finally taking control of our borders.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Friday is gonna be a busy night for the police. A lot of stupid people will be getting stupid drunk.

I'm gonna stay home and barricade the doors.

I booked some annual leave for another reason but I’m bloody glad I’m off
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've got Friday off as holiday too. A surprise birthday something I think. A bit nervous it's in town or somewhere that could be gammoned, but I daren't ask...
  • “Delivery will be late.”

Absolute belter, there.
  • Soak it in piss and breathe through it.
  • The government's Migration Advisory Commission has recommended that the salary threshold for skilled migrants from outside the EU should be lowered from £30,000 to £25,600. Finally taking control of our borders.

Ahhh pre empting the wage slump, very clever.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    The government's Migration Advisory Commission has recommended that the salary threshold for skilled migrants from outside the EU should be lowered from £30,000 to £25,600. Finally taking control of our borders.

I’m confused by this. Do you two disagree with this policy?
  • I assume more a criticism of the poorly considered £30k value.
    The fact it is slightly above average salary means it will inevitably prevent those who are skilled but in unfairly low paid professions like teachers and nurses.

My initial reaction was that we should keep the £30k if we must go that route but ensure all teachers and nurses (the main professions the advice focused on) are earning above that.
  • I get the point that's being made - by lowering barriers to entry, immigration increases, and wasn't the point of Brexit to reduce immigration - but of course the point of Brexit was not to reduce immigration, at least not if you're the UK government, who've always said Britain would welcome the "right sort" of immigrants.

I'd bet that even most people who voted for Brexit don't mind that the "right sort" of immigration occurs (ie: people with means, income, a job, skills etc), because the mindset if that EU migration generally meant low skilled workers taking our jobs and putting welfare and public services under pressure.

This absolutely is showing control of our borders by setting the criteria under which immigrants can apply to reside and work here.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    My initial reaction was that we should keep the £30k if we must go that route but ensure all teachers and nurses (the main professions the advice focused on) are earning above that.

I love this - I know that you don't mean "this will happen" and you mean "this should happen" but it's so antithetical to what this government wants - which is as much of a low paid, under regulated, under protected workforce as possible - that it's amazing it could be even expressed as a hope.
  • Oh yeah, I don't think it will happen in the slightest but it would be a great retort in PMQs.

Currently what they are telling people in these valued professions is that if they didn't happen to be UK citizens they wouldn't be welcome. Quite a shocking thing to imply given their importance to our society.
  • By putting the wage barrier down, you achieve exactly what the Tories want: you bring in lots of people from other countries where £26K is a great salary, and you increase competition for those posts, and you decrease collective bargaining power and put pressure on wages everywhere, driving down inflation and increasing (in theory) productivity (a measure of output vs cost) and keeping interest rates, and thus borrowing costs low. It's absolutely win win and I expect the wage barrier to keep lowering.
  • Roujin wrote:

I’m confused by this. Do you two disagree with this policy?

I agree with this policy, I was making a joke about the economy going in the toilet post brexit.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • yeah he said in one sentence what I said in a paragraph

word slump
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    I get the point that's being made - by lowering barriers to entry, immigration increases, and wasn't the point of Brexit to reduce immigration - but of course the point of Brexit was not to reduce immigration, at least not if you're the UK government, who've always said Britain would welcome the "right sort" of immigrants.

I'd bet that even most people who voted for Brexit don't mind that the "right sort" of immigration occurs (ie: people with means, income, a job, skills etc), because the mindset if that EU migration generally meant low skilled workers taking our jobs and putting welfare and public services under pressure.

This absolutely is showing control of our borders by setting the criteria under which immigrants can apply to reside and work here.

My understanding is that it applies to non eu migrants. There was never any barrier to the govt doing this before. A ton of the rhetoric around Brexit was immigration control, and the first thing that happens after we got "brexit done" is to recommend a lessening of the immigration barriers that we already had in place.

Personally I'm not against immigration at all. I just think it is ironic that one of the first recommendations after Brexit would see immigration increase, not decrease.
  • I would definitely be interested to see data on how many do earn £30k+. Especially if broken down by UK citizens, EU migrants and non-EU migrants.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Is this an an average with London excluded? If so I don’t believe it. A lot of people I know earn a lot less than this.
  • Average is about £28k iirc.
    Average salary is a bullshit measurement though, median salary would tell a better story.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So this includes London?
  • It is the number that is always dropped so I assume so.
    I dont think London skews the figure as much as people think though. There are an awful lot of people living in London who make nowhere near that and the big wealth can be hidden or declared outside of London.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It does come up when I look at certain UX roles. But guessing that’s the professional skew.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    For example the median ux designer salary in the Uk is around £32k but London is closer to £36k. Manchester is £29k by comparison.
  • Like I say median of total salaries would be a much better metric but we never seem to see that.
  • Also I think I would take 29k in Manchester over 36k in London for what it is worth.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    TBH £29k in Manchester seems low to me. But guessing you have a lot of factors of demand and make up of companies beyond just geography.
  • UX designer is a funny one maybe? Always seems to be a job well in demand when I'm looking around.

My mate was lead furnisher designer at Debenhams and was on £40k in London (because he is an idiot and didnt ask for more even when prompted). He was then offered a £60k job at Loaf (maybe MADE) and turned that all down to go back to Chester and earn less than £25k working as lead designer for some back water shit company that is now failing. Not sure what my point is here other than my mate is an idiot.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep your mate is a knob. Even if I’m he did Loaf/Made for a year he’d have his pick the following year.

UX Designer is one of those roles that some companies still don’t understand. I guess that’s why it fluxes up and down. If we are getting picky technically you can’t actually design. A user experience. You design a product that affects a users experience, hopefully in a good way. I see UX designer roles fall into a couple of categories. Digital designers who take on board user research data and design accordingly. Or UI designers with front end dev skills to develop interaction design. Guessing the differing skill requirements could also affect salaries.
  • I imagine so, I also imagine the two get mixed up a fair bit by some recruiters.
  • From my experience if you apply for a visa for a London based job or studies, you are required to show a higher level of earnings. Not sure what the new figures will be though.

When people think of skilled migrants, we often thing of doctors, nurses, engineers etc. but the occupation shortage list also includes chefs, dancers, musicians and carers. Jobs that should be well-paid, for sure, but ones that won’t necessarily be so.

As for Goobers point about being able to do this before we left the EU - this is true. However, there’s an argument used a lot, especially by MPs and groups with Commonwealth affiliations, that the freedom of movement, work and study for EU members (even if it was never as simple as that) led to it being prohibitively hard for non-EU migrants, as they would be the first to be squeezed when trying to keep numbers down.

It’s also worth remembering that couples have been separated due to the earnings threshold - if you’re a British citizen with a non-EU spouse, you do not have the automatic right to bring him or her to live in the UK. You have to be able to show that you can support this person. A lower threshold will mean fewer families separated.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!