Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • From my experience if you apply for a visa for a London based job or studies, you are required to show a higher level of earnings. Not sure what the new figures will be though.

If we are basing immigration on earnings (if, because it isnt always necessary) then this does make sense due to the excessively high cost of living in London.
    I wasnt there for long, only a few years, my earnings generally tracked the national average salary and it wasnt sustainable.
    I would argue 30k for a single person in London in 2020 will probably still be a stretch and certainly not delivering the lifestyle that salary should.

If self sustainability is the metric immigration is to be based on location really should be considered.

Again, it is an if.
  • I get the point that's being made - by lowering barriers to entry, immigration increases, and wasn't the point of Brexit to reduce immigration
    My understanding is that it applies to non eu migrants.

Yes historically. Post transition I suppose it will apply to all countries.
    There was never any barrier to the govt doing this before. A ton of the rhetoric around Brexit was immigration control, and the first thing that happens after we got "brexit done" is to recommend a lessening of the immigration barriers that we already had in place. Personally I'm not against immigration at all. I just think it is ironic that one of the first recommendations after Brexit would see immigration increase, not decrease.

yep absolutely, but I think to be fair to the government (spit) it has often made the point that post-Brexit the country will be more welcoming to migrants (in terms of immigration rules) from around the world - it's just that brexiteers who voted on the basis of immigration didn't always hear that.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    it's just that brexiteers who voted on the basis of immigration didn't always hear that.

Yeah, sweet sweet irony.
  • All of this should be taken with the context:

- Immigration is vital to our economy: we have a severe skills shortage that will take a decade or more to address through education and training (from when that actually starts - nothing on horizon)

- As a country we should be looking to increase immigration, especially of the right types to fit our shortages

- The only reason it's "unfair" to non EU immigrants is that exactly as Cinty said, as soon as public sentiment goes against immigration, the government clamps down where it can, which means non EU people. It's fucking useless: historically had a tiny impact on overall net migration whilst depriving the country of keen, capable people

So "being fair to the government" still means retaining utter contempt for everything they stand for
  • Funkstain wrote:
    As a country we should be looking to increase immigration, especially of the right types to fit our shortages -

Scotland is routinely ignored in the immigration debate. Scotland needs more immigration, not less, but this is inconvenient for Westminister.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    As a country we should be looking to increase immigration, especially of the right types to fit our shortages -

Scotland is routinely ignored in the immigration debate. Scotland needs more immigration, not less, but this is inconvenient for Westminister.

Again - check the Occupation Shortage list, there’s already an extra section for Scotland. The current argument seems to be over devolved decision making.
  • Genuine question. What is it about Scotland that has left them so much shorter of needed immigrants than England and I assume Wales?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Genuine question. What is it about Scotland that has left them so much shorter of needed immigrants than England and I assume Wales?

I'm not an expert in the matter, so it's likely one of the Scots is better informed than I am. However, from what I've read up on (again, my sources could be wrong here) the main issues are:

1. Lack of skilled workers coming through locally
    2. A lower average salary making it hard to get VISAs from skilled workers in the existing 30K requirements (the new change should help here).  
    3. A lower population
    4. A big demographic timebomb - the Scottish workforce is expected to decline over the coming years and decades and NEEDS immigrants to maintain and grow the existing workforce (and, by extension, things like public services etc.).
  • LivDiv wrote:
    From my experience if you apply for a visa for a London based job or studies, you are required to show a higher level of earnings. Not sure what the new figures will be though.
    If we are basing immigration on earnings (if, because it isnt always necessary) then this does make sense due to the excessively high cost of living in London. I wasnt there for long, only a few years, my earnings generally tracked the national average salary and it wasnt sustainable. I would argue 30k for a single person in London in 2020 will probably still be a stretch and certainly not delivering the lifestyle that salary should. If self sustainability is the metric immigration is to be based on location really should be considered. Again, it is an if.

Yeah, it's about whether immigrants can sustain themselves. 

It's worth mentioning, I may have made a mistake here, I'm not sure. Given my work history, I've done a lot of work with UK (and EU) Visas for Chinese students. There is absolutely 100% a higher set of financial requirements for London-based students compared to the rest of the country. The possible mistake comes in the assumption this would apply to work visas as well - I assume this is the case, but I could be wrong.
  • No need for correction on the Scottish differences, you’ve pretty much nailed it there.

At the most fundamental level we have a lot of land and a small population. We have a fairly pronounced rural/urban divide. Our well-respected education sector produces too many white collar workers and not enough blue collar (or skilled) workers, leading the overqualified majority to leave Scotland and seek work elsewhere. And our life expectancy is still below average, as is our general health. Again, not good for skilled/manual work.
  • I mean, the immigration issues aren't cool. But the clarification was. Thanks a lot for that.
  • Yeah, cheers for the answers both.

Seems like at least some of that can be levelled at the devolved government.
    Education for example. A high level of education is great but is it appropriate for the needs of the country?
  • One thing I want clarity on (from UK Gov, I suppose) is how we will deal with EU nationals who want to come to university in Scotland (and rUK). One of the ways we try to grow the workforce and population in Scotland is by attracting foreign students and then encouraging them to stay and work here after graduation.

That whole concept is already falling down as higher proportions of available places go to Chinese/Korean/Malaysian/etc students – because the trend is for them to study here and then immediately go back home.

I have no idea how or if we can attract EU students to study and remain here if they won’t be able to start on entry-level salaries (being under the new immigration wage threshold).
  • Funkstain wrote:
    All of this should be taken with the context: - Immigration is vital to our economy: we have a severe skills shortage that will take a decade or more to address through education and training (from when that actually starts - nothing on horizon) - As a country we should be looking to increase immigration, especially of the right types to fit our shortages - The only reason it's "unfair" to non EU immigrants is that exactly as Cinty said, as soon as public sentiment goes against immigration, the government clamps down where it can, which means non EU people. It's fucking useless: historically had a tiny impact on overall net migration whilst depriving the country of keen, capable people So "being fair to the government" still means retaining utter contempt for everything they stand for

Agree with all of this. Hopefully we can avoid something as bat-shit as the US's X per country system / visa lottery backup. I know that's mainly for permanent residence but it's such an awful system and switches one type of unfairness (non-EU? Get fucked!) for another type of unfairness (from a high population country? Get fucked!). 

And, as much as I pointed out that Scotland is considered in current thinking and policy, it's also clear that it's not enough and I hope Scotland can have its needs met. I wasn't trying to dismiss the points raised about Scotland, just correcting the apparent assumption that Scotland is being completely ignored - it isn't, and there's already policies in place to cover Scotland's needs, they just don't work properly due to certain issues (the aforementioned salary requirements, for example). Part of me thinks the salary drop wasn't just a Brexit-based economic prediction, but also to cut the legs from Scottish calls for devolved visa processing. All guesswork, though.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Genuine question. What is it about Scotland that has left them so much shorter of needed immigrants than England and I assume Wales?
    Lots of emigration to England in the last century, historical reliance on immigration from Ireland that has long since reduced to a trickle and very little post war immigration from the commonwealth in the way there was to the big English cities.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This is genius. I mean absolutely inspiring and I feel happy that people like this exist in the world :-)

• That’s just perfect. Absolutely perfect
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Oh my!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Fuck it. I’m going back to bed.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • In the most fantastic bit of irony, Brexit, naturally, works on CET, so it's at 11pm in the UK.

I'm truly sorry for you all, and hope you don't get completely screwed by the Tories, but you probably will.
  • I guess for the raging Brexiteers this is a momentous day.
    I don't think anyone else is that fussed by the occasion really are they? Brexit was confirmed the day after the election.

If anything tomorrow marks the day the government start being held to task. If it is happening then I am keen for them to get on with it because it will lessen the damage to the economy.
  • There will be a lot of gloating idiots over the coming weeks saying things like “See? Told you all that project fear stuff was nonsense,” because nothing immediately goes to shit.

Instead, we can look forward to everything going to shit over New Year as we actually leave the EU, rather than tonight as we leave in name only.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m out tonight. Sadly it’s my birthday tomorrow so I’ll always be reminded of this shit show. Will be interesting to see what the mood of Brum is like but I honestly can’t see flag waving gammon headed freaks out in the middle of the city.
  • Bollocks to it all.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I'm more worried about if and how this might affect Eurovision...
  • Australia are in Eurovision, I think we will be fine.
    I suspect we might not win mind.
  • Israel and Russia are also in eurovision

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Glad im in lanzarote at the minute.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Been audiobooking Tony Judt's mammoth and generally excellent Postwar recently. From '05 but still feels thoroughly up to date and oddly helps blunt the impact of the Brexit episode for making it seem a lot more of a cyclical and benign one.

De Gaulle was right about this sorry island.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!