Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    68% reduction in EU exports vs a year ago.

Obviously that's pandemic as well as brexit. But still, fuuuck that's huge. And maybe gonna get worse??
  • Yeah. Pretty much. The costs to export to the EU are horrific in terms of time and complexity and competitiveness.
    Literally all of my clients who sold into the EU on Amazon have stopped simply because the tories left it until last minute to release the info on trade.
    Everything that goes there now needs a customs label, Eori info, potentially an invoice including the origin of the goods. VAT registration if you're storing the goods in that country as well.
    A lot of them have received a flood of complaints from their EU customers for customs charges.
    Of course, there is going to be a ton of companies who did little business in the EU and this caused them to say 'fuck that' based on what they now have to do, but that's a huge drop in trade.

These new trade deals in the arse end of the world aren't going to solve that because there's a shortage of containers now and shipping around the world has gone up by about 400%
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Top comment on the Mail’s coverage of this calls for everyone to ‘buy British’ as part of the solution, which I found to be quite funny.
  • Excuse me, I'm off to buy seven Vauxhall vans.
  • John Redwood’s plan is to force all the British supermarkets to buy excess shellfish. Not sure what they’re supposed to be doing with it and I’m not sure John Redwood knows either.
  • Force private business to buy stuff? What a commie!
  • If they want a certain type of food to sell they need to chuck money at influencers, TV shows and celebrity chefs.
    Whenever a particular new or under used ingredient appears on Bake Off the supermarket shelves are stripped of it.

Or come up with some fad diet involving British cockles. Turn them into a supplement and bang on about their antioxidant healing powers. £8 a bottle in Holland & Barrett.

You know, marketing.
  • Don’t be bollocks, eat a mollusc.
  • Buy healthy, buy British, bivalve.
  • Monkey’s next job is in digital advertising and marketing. He just doesn’t know it yet.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I wish there wash more fresh shellfish for sale near me. The local supermarket doesn't even have a fresh fish counter anymore. I'd love to be able to buy fresh muscles and clams.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The gym for muscles!
  • No fucking influencer or Bake Off is gonna get me to eat sea insects.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • What if they garnished a cloud egg?
  • It’s all about jus.

And calling something street food when it isn’t.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Fig for Victory
  • Well this endevour is going just spiffing.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Woo we're having another go at breaking international law #sovereign #sunlituplands
  • Brexit news!

Here’s the amazing new replacement for the Erasmus scheme.

Ev_CpZwWEAI4SVT?format=jpg&name=large

Instead of free tuition, a generous travel allowance and £630 towards living costs, students can now pay their own tuition fees, pay for their own travel, and have £490 towards living costs.

Meaning that overseas study is now just for the well-off.

And what about the main pressing issue with Brexit - food import and supply problems?

The new import process is due to kick in on April 1st, and be fully implemented by July 1st. That’ll be all the new import regulations and food standards. Because until then, we’ve been, er, *checks notes* just letting everything through without any checks or food safety certification? Okay.

But now the UK Gov have held their hands up and said that they can’t get anything ready by April. Or by July. So the new rules are on hold indefinitely. Oh good.
  • Few points to add:

- calling it the Turing scheme is a dire insult to the man who was rejected by the government and country he served so well

- the unilateral decision to postpone implementation of checks and certification is in fact a threat to break international law. Again. US commentary already made on this, and EU threatening to apply remedial steps. Our response? Frost: “get over it” (he’s our head of EU dept)
  • The fact remains, this approach plays very well with the nativist electoral public of this country. And that is what counts for Johnson and his ilk. It won’t end well for him, but I think it’ll just get worse for us: the “opposition” is spectacularly ill-named
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Definitely designed to put fulfilling life changing education and experience back into the realms of the rich only eh.
  • Both good points, thanks Funk.

(And, y’know, as if the nation hasn’t pissed on Turing’s legacy enough yet …)
  • Funkstain wrote:
    The fact remains, this approach plays very well with the nativist electoral public of this country. And that is what counts for Johnson and his ilk. It won’t end well for him, but I think it’ll just get worse for us: the “opposition” is spectacularly ill-named

This is also true, and continues to be endlessly depressing.
  • The thing that so many liberal middle class types don't get, when they disparage the working classes voting against their 'interests', is that we (I'm a middle class liberal) did nothing, literally fuck all, to make sure that stuff like Erasmus was properly known about. I know plenty of middle class students who took advantage of it and would not have been able to afford such an experience without Erasmus. I don't know any people from more disadvantaged backgrounds (to be fair my sample is embarrassingly low) who knew about it, never mind would think they could take advantage of it whilst at uni.

This is a small example of the total failure of centrists (before Gurt comes in to have a go, I'm using centrists as short hand for middle class liberals who quite like economic things the way they are thank you but are appalled by populism and social conservatism and brexit - people who like Blair, or Cameron, or Clegg, or Starmer) to make a positive case for the EU, or a positive case for anything to anybody outside of their bubble.

It's too easy to blame populists and shitty press barons. They only profit when there is the opportunity to do so.  They need the fertile ground of rising inequality, non-existent social mobility to sprout and grow, and that's soil we laid over the last twenty years (Blair/Brown/Cameron/Clegg). Fuck knows what we do about it now.
  • My point more succinctly is why the fuck would anyone from poorer backgrounds give two shits about the Erasmus replacement being a total shitshow?
  • Roujin wrote:
    Escape wrote:
    On the rare occasions I buy something in an upmarket shop I feel self-conscious about paying with my prole Debit card.

Dude going into fancy places and paying on your debit card is the real flex, it's like POW I have the actual funds in my account for this right now, no putting it off until payday for me yo!

Do you think all the people working on the tills probsbly getting near minimum wage are going to be actually impressed if lord of the manor turns up and whips out a black card? Funniest shit I ever saw like that was when I had a part time job in Thornton's when I was at college and this dude in his camel coat comes in, piles up a load of the massive boxes on the checkout and then his dickhead platinum whatever card wouldn't go through. It was amazing, he was all like "I've brought cars on this card!" Patricia on the till just quipped "That's probably why there's not enough left to buy these then." Legendary shelling, probably the single best bit of my time working in retail.

To this day, one of the worst moments of my life. Was gonna ask that Patricia for her number and all.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Just another everyday day example of how the Tories are perennial fuck ups whom no-one in their right mind should support, simply on the basis of competence:

https://www.erasmusplus.org.uk/news/uk-government-welcomes-proposals-for-erasmus-successor-programme
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What did people out down for English/Scottish/British/European in the census?

I'm supportive of Scotland (and Wales) going they're own way, and reunification, but it has got me mulling over if that would mean I had to stop caring myself British and start saying English. I guess not entirely, given even now I can say European in at least some places, but still ugh.

Trying to think of anything beyond football and rugby where I'm specifically pro-english, and coming up blank...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!