Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Factiod sadly. He got Peston with it though.
  • Ah well.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • You don't need decades long traps to outsmart May tbf, just shout "look a bear" and run away with her Brexit deal.
  • EU apparently going to announce in the next hour that the negotiated deal has effectively been rejected, and therefore no extension will be granted.
    Spoiler:
  • I wouldn’t say I’m worried about a no deal at this stage. But we’re really coming much closer to it than I ever thought. I still think, despite all the talk, that May can phone up the EU and get a quickie extension without needing some massive plan that Parliament agrees on. Whatever the shortcomings of that, it’s better for the EU than no deal.

But the paralysis of the whole thing, even at this stage, genuinely surprises me. I thought something would have broken by now. May’s position or Labour’s. And that would have started things moving.

It seems like there’s ways out of this but they all require May to be one of or a combination of clever, flexible and non-partisan. So, erm, yeah.

It’s also just occurred to me that it’s mainly me and Yoss saying no deal can’t happen. I’m pretty sure we both thought Ed Miliband might win, Remain would win, Clinton would win and May would get a huge majority in 2017.
  • I'm not sure you can phone the EU and get a quickie extension, unless it's one of them automated phone lines. Press 1 for a no deal, 2 for short extension, 3 for a long extension or if you need to speak to Tusk, please hold.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I did also predict a blue wave in the States last year, so I’ve got that one going for me at least.
  • Nobody mention Trump.
  • Oh I see, sarcasm
  • Tbf I think a lot of people think there'll be an extension, but then no deal.
  • It's past 8pm and Jezza hasn't called for a GE yet.
  • He clocks off at six. Union rules.
  • monkey wrote:
    It’s also just occurred to me that it’s mainly me and Yoss saying no deal can’t happen. I’m pretty sure we both thought Ed Miliband might win, Remain would win, Clinton would win and May would get a huge majority in 2017.

Hmm, I didn't think Ed would win, put a bet in Trump to win, and said May wouldn't survive contact with the electorate. Couldn't remember how I felt about Brexit, re-reading the thread, not very confident about Remain.

Lads, follow me. I shall take you to the promised land.
  • Remember when Bercow had to oversee a vote to oust him? Don't think he's ever forgiven his own party for that.

I think he's right to block another vote and it remains to be seen if this helps or hinders a no deal. He's certainly a remainer, although I doubt this affected his ruling on this.
  • Heh, look at that glare he gives the Tories.
  • Hahaha malicious compliance based payback is the best payback.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • so..May will ask for an extension if her deal fails to go through, but won't submit her deal to a vote if doesn't think it will win, whilst labour planned an amendment for a referendum if it lost, so she prob wouldn't submit her deal, and the speaker has stopped her doing so anyway.
    monkey wrote:
    It seems like there’s ways out of this but they all require May to be one of or a combination of clever, flexible and non-partisan. So, erm, yeah.
    yeah. No deal it is then.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fintan O’Toole is probably one of the best Brexit commentators around:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-are-the-english-ready-for-self-government-1.3830474
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Fintan O’Toole is probably one of the best Brexit commentators around

Consistently is, yeah.
  • The thing is, it's going to require some things to all be agreed on in order for the default not to happen. 

The EU must want to grant an extension, and it's not a gimmie. Will she ask for a short or long extension? If it's long and the EU agree then I'm not sure parliment will. It'll certainly split the Tories unless they unite behind saying no, as they sure aren't going to unite in saying yes.

If it's short which the Tories would prefer I'm not sure the EU will grant it. If it's long they might not grant it. 

Then May will surely step down if an extension is agreed, then the Tories are going to stick in someone hardcore right in the hope of getting a more Brexity deal, which the EU have no hope in agreeing too.

The only way imo that no deal can be overcome is if the extension thing works out and GE is called which Labour win by a fair bit. This doesn't seem likely at all.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Fintan O’Toole is probably one of the best Brexit commentators around: https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-are-the-english-ready-for-self-government-1.3830474

Yep. I posted a thing a while back but it was an hour long so I'm not sure anyone bothered.
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • So May's pressing ahead with her deal anyway. The immortal deal.
  • We'll see if it's 'substantially different' when it comes back then.
  • If she manages to bring it back and it fails, which it probably will, it's only going to look like Parliment hasn't a clue, even more than currently, which is a breathtaking state of affairs.
  • We'll see if it's 'substantially different' when it comes back then.

It'll smell fishier. Time is not doing it favours.
  • Just caught the headlines there. The EU seems really pissed off. Resume Operation Hoard.
  • Apparently MP's can vote to overturn Bercow's decision. 

*checks omnishambles graph*

Extrapolation suggests they'll vote to have another crack at May's deal and then reject it.
  • Is that this specific decision, or the entire principle?
  • Prediction: MPs vote almost unanimously to overturn Bercow’s ruling and permit another vote on May’s deal (because MPs didn’t enjoy being told what to do). Then they vote to reject May’s deal again anyway.

Hold on, that’s exactly what SG said. D’oh.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!