Coffee and Tea
  • I do milk for a minute thirty and then bung in my three cup load, pop it in a drink pod and go off to Uni. It always has a bit of skin on so I think I need to do the milk less.

Coffee is art Skez, science can't make you good coffee.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    well it can actually
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • 1.30 is real long, man. How much milk are we talking about?

If that's fridge-cold and going in a flask, it's probably twice what you'd put in a single cup? I'd say bring that down to 1m, see how you go, and adjust accordingly.

Skin ruins coffee, fact.
  • The test is if it's just too hot for your pinky.
  • My coffee setup currently comprises Kenwood Filter machine and Krups grinder.

I have a moka pot that hasn't been used for a while, mainly because I have always preferred filter coffee to espresso, however I am beginning to come around to the idea of more caffeine and less fluid as my bladder ages, so quite tempted by the £100ish Gaggia that has been mentioned a few times here.
    Live & PSN (Vita only) - MattTheSurveyor
  • Great machine that. I use mine at least twice a day and the coffee is superb, much better than my old Delonghi used to make.

Picked up some Illy beans today, will try them out when I get home.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    I like the lemon and ginger stuff. 

PS I can't help you.  You're welcome.

Me too - like that ginger edge - had a cup of it just yesterday - brightened up the meeting that had data protection act and insurance as just two fascinating items on the agenda.....Oh God.....

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I got some beans from Whittard's today, Guatemalan Elephant, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and San Agustin Colombian, look forward to trying them out.
  • Turns out freshly ground Illy beans make a truly epic espresso (as you'd expect really), looks like I'll be paying too much for fancy tins for the foreseeable future. 

The remaining monsoon malabar beans will get coarse ground for my cafetiere at work so it's all good.
  • I dug out my old moka pot this morning and noticed that the inside of the base is proper minging! Sort of tarnished, oily and scaley, can't all be cupboard dust, would that be the effects of being in a hard water area or is that normal? A piece of kitchen towel came out very dirty, can't be good for the flavour of a brew.
  • The scale will be due to the hard water, have the same trouble with mine. I have to descale the filter and give the pot and base a good wipe down every now and then.

The oily stuff's probably just coffee residue that's come back through the filter basket and any dust that's stuck to it. I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    That's definitely a coffee.

In a glass cup.

From the '70s
  • I made it for adkmette.  The coffee, not the glass cup.  She took it (the cup) from her folks when she moved in. Very fond of it (the cup), so she is.

I was quite pleased with how it (the coffee) turned out, and especially how it (the coffee) looked in it (the cup).  She said it (the coffee) was delicious.
  • Do you have a special machine or
  • You should get a pot for that.

:D

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Anyone got tips for avoiding caffeine detox headaches (apart from 'drink coffee')?!

I tend to OD during the week (nespresso machine at work / young family) then detox at the weekend (wife doesn't drink coffee, so no way to make owt but instant), leading to headaches most Sundays...

Would like to drink less during the week really, but that never seems to easy at the time!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The only answer I can give unfortunately is 'drink less during the week'.

Caffeine re-wires the way your brain works, reducing the amount of oxygen it needs, and hence blood flow. When you come off caffeine, blood returns to the brain, hence the "coffee headache".

The only way to avoid getting these headaches is to either a) drink less coffee/caffeinated drinks during the week so your brain gets used to a higher rate of blood flow or b) drink something caffeinated when you get the headaches. Sorry. :(

I understand it's hard, though. I was down to one cup a day before returning home, but to cope with jet lag and make sure I was awake when I want to be, I'm now back up to three or four.

If you really want to worry yourself, check out "caffeine psychosis". PDF link.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Just a stove-top.

Excellent, please to be relaying the creation methods below so that we may all be enjoying the taste of the coffee
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Anyone got tips for avoiding caffeine detox headaches (apart from 'drink coffee')?! I tend to OD during the week (nespresso machine at work / young family) then detox at the weekend (wife doesn't drink coffee, so no way to make owt but instant), leading to headaches most Sundays... Would like to drink less during the week really, but that never seems to easy at the time!

Headaches on Sunday are lack of caffeine? Sure it's not the booze from the night before?

You could try headache tablets, the 'plus' strength ones have caffeine in them.
  • ...not if you haven't been drinking the night before. I often get Sunday morning caffeine headaches too, if I've been laying it on a bit thick during the week.
  • Just have an instant coffee seems like the obvious solution here. Drinking less of the stuff would be a good idea, but doing it by going cold turkey over the weekend isn't the way to do it.
  • Instant coffee is rank. My headache dissipates pretty swiftly once I've polished off a cafetiere of finest arabica though.
    I certainly wouldn't advise weekend cold turkey either. Just moderate weekly intake as a whole, including weekends.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Caffeine re-wires the way your brain works, reducing the amount of oxygen it needs, and hence blood flow. When you come off caffeine, blood returns to the brain, hence the "coffee headache".

This is very bad science.
  • Surveyor wrote:
    I dug out my old moka pot this morning and noticed that the inside of the base is proper minging! Sort of tarnished, oily and scaley, can't all be cupboard dust, would that be the effects of being in a hard water area or is that normal? A piece of kitchen towel came out very dirty, can't be good for the flavour of a brew.

Mine's the same, but I use it once or twice a week. Nothing seems to remove the build up of scum, but it doesn't affect the taste so I just tend to ignore it... 

Only started drinking coffee in 2012, and now I'm fully dependant on the stuff. However, this wasn't before realising that instant coffee is the DEVIL and must NEVER be drank. Especially if it comes in a sachet (Asda instant cappuccino, I'm looking at you).
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    This is very bad science.

This is also why you're likely to make bad decisions on caffeine.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I made @Tempy a coffee when I saw him. Ah, good times.
  • I'll go further. It's utter nonsense.  Just so there's no misunderstanding.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!