Coffee and Tea
  • Oh it'll be two cups for just me and I like my lattes larger than venti when travelling so I'll make sure I have options lol

She wanted to try so she put her old Starbucks barista skills from her uni days to good use. Tasted banging. Just need better beans thru it. Payday next week!
  • This may sound utterly wanky but, anyone got any good espresso or cappuccino cup recs?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Gav don't desert me like this
  • It's too late. Soon I'll get really into road cycling and photography books.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE.

WE HAVE GOOD COFFEE.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • So, coffee. I love it. I've just invested in a conical burr grinder (Sage Smart Grinder Pro), as well as a Sage Duo Temp Espresso machine. They are both working out very nicely so far and I'm able to pull some lovely shots using a single walled portafilter basket (beans are fresh like).

Hardest bit is getting the right texture for milk based drinks. I usually drink either a Cortado or a Flat White. Cortado being the easier as it's just steamed milk. Getting there though. I've found that whole milk is easier to work with than oat milk. Semi-skimmed is just shite.

I can recommend these for drinking out of. Expensive, but very solid and just nice. Perfect size for a short/milk based drink.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Libbey-Duratuff-Cortado-Gibraltar-Rocks/dp/B00OCWMR9Y

I'm at a point now where I can make a better coffee than most cafés in my town.

My other go-to methods are a French Press and Aeropress. I'll be getting a V60 next I reckon. Keen to try the whole shebang!
  • This may sound utterly wanky but, anyone got any good espresso or cappuccino cup recs?

Not to worry, I got one

YNqwJ2V.jpeg

Love it!

On yersel, beg.
  • They look nice, but the rim is too thin and they have a flat base.

A rounded bottom to the inside of the cup helps with the espresso as it hits. Means you get a better crema. And thicker walls retain temperature better, as well as insulating your lips from the hot liquid when it’s newly-poured.
  • I recently bought an Acme Tajimi porcelain cup which is beautiful but as it doesn't have a handle anything hot going in there needs to sit for a good long while.

p8ZLVlV.jpg

Also picked up an Origami Aroma cup which I really like the look of and it also has a handle so it's a win.

yXa12M5.png

Both are Japanese because I am a massive weeb.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Those porcelain cups look fantastic.
  • poprock wrote:
    They look nice, but the rim is too thin and they have a flat base. A rounded bottom to the inside of the cup helps with the espresso as it hits. Means you get a better crema. And thicker walls retain temperature better, as well as insulating your lips from the hot liquid when it’s newly-poured.

I have noticed a better crema in the glasses I bought. They have a rounded interior. Good tips!
  • Been down a cup hole after googling the ones frosty posted. They're so nice mate!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have double walled glass ones with no handle. Straight sides, two sizes. Use the smaller size for my Nespresso Lungo with breakfast. I think the brand is Riva - got them in Debenhams several years ago. Rarely use the larger ones. Have smaller espresso bowl shaped double walled with no handles too but I like a lungo sized coffee. I just got those off some ebay seller.

Wifey got me a gift Nespresso set with these which are nice. Double up for whisk(e)y tasting.

glasses.png
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • This is the kind I like. Not this specific cup, but this style. Thick, chunky porcelain or ceramic with a rounded lip and rounded bottom.* 

verona_espresso_2048x.jpg?v=1571674979

Spoiler:
  • What was the turnaround for getting that Acme stuff delivered, Frosty? Really like their big latte number.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Pop likes thick, porcelain women aiii
  • I won’t let not being a Dad stop me from making Dad jokes.
  • What was the turnaround for getting that Acme stuff delivered, Frosty? Really like their big latte number.

I ordered it from a local roaster who were stocking them so no idea what it would be direct
  • Ah, bugger. They have a "EU" site but all prices are still in yen. Reasonable but I'm wary of air mail for things like that. Would probs arrive in pieces.
  • Just some coffee recs. Have enjoyed the stuff I've had from Pact.

Also using Crosby Coffee based in Liverpool. Now, I did have a small stone in a batch that I bought from their shop, but they offered to take my grinder away for testing to make sure it was OK as the stone did cause the burrs to jam a little, then gave me £25 worth of credit, which I thought was cool. This sounds alarming, but I've heard it can happen with smaller independent roasters.

https://www.crosbycoffee.co.uk

A little more prevalent is Grump Mule. Their ground coffee kicks ass, but going to be ordering some beans soon.

https://grumpymule.co.uk
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Potentially dumb question, but I thought I'd go straight to the badger's mouth for this one, rather than googling for it... I know it's possible to grind your own beans, but is it possible to roast your own beans at home?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yeah I guess, with enough money and space.
  • You can but I doubt it would be worth it. You can buy small Roasters to do just that or use a popcorn machine

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Pop corn machine? Interesting.
  • Site has a video for that but I've not watched it. I imagine it's bad as you need to constantly stir the beans to get an even roast and a popcorn machine won't do that
  • There’s a bit in one of Tim Hayward’s Food DIY books about roasting coffee beans at home. Here, I photographed it:

FHGdtA5.jpg
    XqQphk5.jpg

So it’s totally possible, but frankly who the hell has time for that? I know how obsessive my coffee-roasting pals are, at professional firms, and I know how meticulous their work is. I wouldn’t expect to create anything near the same quality in a pan on my stove.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Everything I've seen about roasting suggests it's best left to the pros.

The thing with grinding is that doing it yourself will produce a worse grind than using professional equipment outside the consumer price range but this is offset by the benefits of the coffee not being as oxidised when you drink it.

I'm not quite sure what the benefits of roasting at home would be to make up for the roast being worse - it's not like having access to the coffee straight after roasting is a benefit as it benefits from maturing for a week after roasting.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    The thing with grinding is that doing it yourself will produce a worse grind than using professional equipment outside the consumer price range but this is offset by the benefits of the coffee not being as oxidised when you drink it.

The other major benefit to home grinding I can think of is control over the coarseness of the grind. One pack of beans will then support many brewing methods. Even with just an Espresso machine, it seems like you need that control in order to dial in the proper extraction. Between different beans, I've had to make quite a bit of adjustment. Have had some that choke the machine, so I've had to dial down the fineness and then gradually up it, to get optimum extraction.
  • Well, as we're talking about Sweet Brown drinks...
    Spoiler:
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!