adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Wouldn’t it be easier to just do 1 scoop and 1 press at a time?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Am I doing it wrong by using 5 spoonfuls and one press?  Love my AeroPress but unless I lose the twisty bit on the end I reckon it'll last for another decade at least.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm having a cup of Asda's own brand with three sugars. Absolutely banging.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Wouldn’t it be easier to just do 1 scoop and 1 press at a time?

Might take longer - I'd do 4 presses of half the amount of water, and the water will have cooled a lot. Would be easier though.

It's my morning workout :-)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Am I doing it wrong by using 5 spoonfuls and one press?  Love my AeroPress but unless I lose the twisty bit on the end I reckon it'll last for another decade at least.

Teaspoons or scoops?

• Better still, how many grams?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    IIRC when I measured about how many teaspoons in a scoop in case I ever ended up scoopless it was something like 2-3, so 5 teaspoons will be like two scoops or a bit less. I don’t think that’s a bad amount? Some of the championship Aeropress recipes use two scoops-ish, IIRC.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Am I doing it wrong by using 5 spoonfuls and one press?  Love my AeroPress but unless I lose the twisty bit on the end I reckon it'll last for another decade at least.
    Teaspoons or scoops?

Teaspoons, I'm not a Willem Dafoe gif.
  • 5 teaspoons isn't much coffee, is it?  About 10g?

If you're all talking about the scoop that comes with the Aeropress, their website says: "All AeroPress scoops have the same capacity. A level scoop holds 11.5 grams of coffee or about 2.5 tablespoons. A heaping (rounded) scoop of coffee holds 14-15 grams or around 3 tablespoons."

So 2 scoops is around 23g.  YIKES!  I use 18g.

3 teaspoons is around 1 tablespoon, so 5 would be say just under 2.  Just round it to 2.  So that 2/2.5x11.5 = around 9g for Moot.  That's... not much.
  • Using the inverted method I set the plunger to about three "cups" with at least a couple fingers' thickness of coffee, and pour water to brim. Does me fine for the travel mug I use after I add hot frothy milk (Gav fans, yes, I got a new whisk in work. No I'm not leaving it at my arse)
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    5 teaspoons isn't much coffee, is it?  About 10g? If you're all talking about the scoop that comes with the Aeropress, their website says: "All AeroPress scoops have the same capacity. A level scoop holds 11.5 grams of coffee or about 2.5 tablespoons. A heaping (rounded) scoop of coffee holds 14-15 grams or around 3 tablespoons." So 2 scoops is around 23g.  YIKES!  I use 18g. 3 teaspoons is around 1 tablespoon, so 5 would be say just under 2.  Just round it to 2.  So that 2/2.5x11.5 = around 9g for Moot.  That's... not much.

You're underestimating how much I can get on a spoon.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    gav noooo I didn't have you down as a coffee wank, genuinely deflated here
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Using the inverted method I set the plunger to about three "cups" with at least a couple fingers' thickness of coffee, and pour water to brim. Does me fine for the travel mug I use after I add hot frothy milk (Gav fans, yes, I got a new whisk in work. No I'm not leaving it at my arse)

I do similar non-inverted, unless I want something a bit more espresso style in which case I usually fill it to about 1.5 cups.
  • Bruv I been in the trenches here for a good while this is not new info
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Bruv I been in the trenches here for a good while this is not new info

I keep out of that sphere way too lederhosen hipster wank for me. Proper broken my heart I need curry sauce pics stat
  • :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    IIRC when I measured about how many teaspoons in a scoop in case I ever ended up scoopless it was something like 2-3, so 5 teaspoons will be like two scoops or a bit less. I don’t think that’s a bad amount? Some of the championship Aeropress recipes use two scoops-ish, IIRC.

Wesley. Legend.

giphy.gif
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Move over, cat shit coffee, the new most expensive brew is bird poop coffee.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Wife has offered to spend £200 or so on me for my upcoming birthday.  I was thinking of an espresso machine and found the Sage Bambino for £235.  Only question is: are they a faff to maintain and clean etc?  I like minimal fuss.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Wife has offered to spend £200 or so on me for my upcoming birthday.  I was thinking of an espresso machine and found the Sage Bambino for £235.  Only question is: are they a faff to maintain and clean etc?  I like minimal fuss.

If you Google it there are decent results specifically for cleaning the Sage Bambino. It sounds like it has a cleaning cycle where you run it with a disc blocking the water and it backflushes the water. It sounds like you can occasionally run this with detergent as well although it seems there’s some controversy over how often to do this and whether the detergent reduces the life of the machine. Not an expert but sounds relatively low maintenance although I guess there’s a baseline amount of faff with any machine.
  • OK thanks.  I'll have looksee online.  If it's once a month, I'm fine with that.  Will just set a reminder to do it as I'm so bad with this kinda shit.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Apparently it flashes an angry light at you to do it so you might not even need to do that.
  • Blocking the water to make it backflush is the standard way to clean an espresso machine. Chucking a cleaning tablet in every five or ten times you do it is also pretty normal.

You’ll find even the pro machines in your local hipster café are cleaned the same way.
  • Anyone else's brain refusing to read that as anything but Samba de Amigo?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's descaling as well. You can sachets for doing that and the machine will have a program for it.

Just checked that Bambino out - nice.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Wife has offered to spend £200 or so on me for my upcoming birthday.  I was thinking of an espresso machine and found the Sage Bambino for £235.  Only question is: are they a faff to maintain and clean etc?  I like minimal fuss.

I have the Sage Duo Temp Pro, which probably has similar components. Really simple to look after. Are you in a hardwater area? If so, you may have to also replace the filter in the water tank every so often. Something to consider as it's an ongoing cost (I don't bother replacing filters as have decent tapwater where I live).
  • Bruv I been in the trenches here for a good while this is not new info
    I keep out of that sphere way too lederhosen hipster wank for me. Proper broken my heart I need curry sauce pics stat
    Don't worry DS, we've seen the future and it's instant. It's gonna blow this lot's nips off once they find out you can get instant coffee in a jar where you just chuck a teaspoon of the stuff in a mug and add hot water and milk to taste (and 3 spoons of sugar if you're a sexual deviant). ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Tea with sugar is one of the most disgusting drinks in the world but I'll always treat myself to a spoonful of sugar in my coffee.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have never taken sugar in tea or coffee. Not a fan of milk in it either. I like an eye dropper of milk in tea - just enough to lighten the colour - and only with a fry up.  Black coffee the rest of the time.

I remember enjoying apple tea in Turkey.  I'll take peppermint tea or a ginger infusion sometimes - but that is obvs always sans milk and sugar.

Still Nespresso Lungo in the morning. In the evening I will use pre-ground in a cafetiere and will use instant in work (and sometimes at home when I can't be arsed)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark tea ftw.  I'm never sure if I'll have my coffee with milk or not until I make it - big fan of both.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!