Coffee and Tea
  • I use Aeropress so grind quite fine.  Not sure I can get rid of the chaff by blowing without blowing away fine grounds.  That said, my grinder doesn't give much chaff - it seems to get left behind.  Or just mixed in really well and I can't tell... most likely that!

Will definitley sort beans next time and see.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • That ‘chaff’ is known as the ‘parchment’ on the bean. And you can get rid of a lot of it before grinding, just by rubbing the beans together a bit. Chuck them in a sieve or something and give them a good shake about. Rubbing against each other, they’ll knock off the majority of the parchment. Hell, even just shaking your bag of beans for a while will do a decent job of it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    If you use an electric grinder most of it gets stuck to the lid thanks to the static electricity generated.
  • If you use an electric grinder most of it gets stuck to the lid thanks to the static electricity generated.

THAT'S IT!  I knew there was an explanation.
  • Oooft. Goober dropping knowledge bombs.
  • I haven't cleaned my leccy Krups grinder since I got it. Had to change the fuse in the plug last week as well.
  • Any decent travel mug recs that aren't stupidly expensive Stanley ones? Needs to be at least 500ml, have good thermals, and fit in a standard cup holder.
  • I haven't cleaned my leccy Krups grinder since I got it. Had to change the fuse in the plug last week as well.

A year and a half since I got it and I only just cleaned the burrs on mine!  Revelation.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The best travel mug is probably an ammo pouch flask. It's insulated, has a secure lid, fits in a standard cup holder, is cheap and robust.

Something like this:

s-l1600.jpg
  • Any decent travel mug recs that aren't stupidly expensive Stanley ones? Needs to be at least 500ml, have good thermals, and fit in a standard cup holder.

Just make sure you go for double-walled / heat retaining.

Too small for you, but going to link this one anyway as I have one and it's nicely made...

https://black-blum.com/collections/travel-cups/products/insulated-travel-cup
  • Hmm. This is where I get weird. I hate the lids on most.

My current is just really good at retaining heat I just go with no lid. Hate that feeling as if you're sucking coffee out. Plus I like the froth.

I'll probably hit up TK Maxx again. My current came from there, done me four years and cost like £8.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    Well I guess I'm doing this from now on. Watched this yesterday and tried it this morning and my coffee actually tastes better. Lance is suggesting that you take the time to remove the shitty beans from your dose before grinding then remove any of the papery chaff afterwards before brewing. A bit of a pain to do but I'm already hand grinding and brewing with a v60 so what's another few minutes I guess.

You know that feeling when you have wandered into a room full of hard core nerds doing their thing and just want to quietly back out again?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Hmm. This is where I get weird. I hate the lids on most. My current is just really good at retaining heat I just go with no lid. Hate that feeling as if you're sucking coffee out. Plus I like the froth. I'll probably hit up TK Maxx again. My current came from there, done me four years and cost like £8.

Just have your coffee at home

(Jokes obv)
  • In a mug that maintains the hotness indefinitely?
  • Looks like a bluetooth vibrator. Pass.

(sorry, I'm very weird with this, dunno why I asked)
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    In a mug that maintains the hotness indefinitely?

Does it come in strange metallic colours?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    You know that feeling when you have wandered into a room full of hard core nerds doing their thing and just want to quietly back out again?

The shmup thread? ;)

For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    Well I guess I'm doing this from now on. Watched this yesterday and tried it this morning and my coffee actually tastes better. Lance is suggesting that you take the time to remove the shitty beans from your dose before grinding then remove any of the papery chaff afterwards before brewing. A bit of a pain to do but I'm already hand grinding and brewing with a v60 so what's another few minutes I guess.

I ran out of nice coffee and ended up with a bag of Asda’s Javan Volcanic Island beans - a dark roast, which isn’t my thing but they had bugger all medium wholebean. So I thought I’d try this. Made one scoop of the biggest wholest beans and another scoop heavily adulterated with stuff that was filtered out of the first scoop. I was kinda surprised by how much stuff I had to filter out - I haven’t checked my nice roaster coffee before but I swear it’s more consistent than this supermarket stuff which is full of broken bits and weird shaped beans. Also, it is really boring sorting coffee and I don’t think I could be bothered with this all the time. I made both cups immediately one after the other and drank them together. The good scoop produced a cup of coffee that I didn’t love because it was dark roasted but behind the roastiness there was a kind of wholeness to the flavour, like a recognisable coffeeness. The bad scoop produced a cup of coffee that was very hollow and actually quite sour. I genuinely tried to make sure there were a lot of actual beans in there, albeit not the largest ones so it would have a chance of tasting like coffee but it tasted of not very much.

I guess this could help elevate very mediocrely produced wholebean coffee but it’s probably a bit too time-consuming to do if you already buy decent coffee from a good roaster.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I didn’t have to do much with my nice specialty coffee. Hardly get any chaff and beans look fine. 

I had my cheaper coffee this AM and did that YouTuber stuff on it. Much nicer than last time I had that coffee! Didn’t compare side by side but I know it was much nicer.
  • Sorting beans is too time consuming for me, but I respect the dedication.

I have just bought some coffee scales for espresso, which initially I resisted, but it doesn't really add on much additional time/faff.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    Sorting beans is too time consuming for me, but I respect the dedication.

This is the problem for me. My latest bag of decent coffee arrived and is noticeably better for not being full of chaff so maybe just buying better coffee is the solution.

I feel like maybe it’s not a surprise supermarket beans are so cheap when like 30% of the pack is weird bits of husk and stuff.
  • I never buy supermarket beans. I did have a chat with one roaster I've used and they were saying that they have pretty strict quality assurance on their beans. I have to take their word on it obvs, but happy to pay more for someone to do the work for me.

The beauty of coffee is having all these different processes you can add, take away, streamline or tweak to suit you. Everyone does it a little differently. It's great.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Ominous signs from AeroPress:

• Hmmmmm.  Fucking investors and trying to make more money through changes.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Apologies, I got 3 seconds into that video and could only see this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ81u_Bj_UwAOjOSXzzuvm3QZ0Eond8K4ipcQ&usqp=CAU

Anyway, back to the video.
  • I use 2 scoops of coffee in mine, and then 2 presses of water through that. I have a metal filter and the pressure required to press the 2nd set of water can be huge. I sometimes have to put the cup I'm pressing into on the floor and put all my weight through it.

Paper filter doesn't have that problem but the metal does produce a better taste.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!