Coffee and Tea
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a milk frother in my Nespresso machine - I'm tempted to try a Latte after watching a Bambino video.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    There's a milk frother in my Nespresso machine - I'm tempted to try a Latte after watching a Bambino video.

Do you use whole milk? It's way more forgiving that semi-skimmed or oat (aka rapeseed oil) milk.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I use semi-skimmed - but I only use that with my Weetabix and fruit. But I might get a small whole milk to try it out just for a latte.
  • 1. Add bubbles via air getting in just beneath surface
    2. Once enough is added, keep spout further in milk to "churn"/velvetise it.
    3. Keep doing that until its at the desired temp.
    4. Dunt it off the counter when done to settle bubbles.
    5. Pour.

In before it's asked Davy sir ;)
  • Yeah, we drink semi as a family, but I just buy a small whole milk for coffee stuff. Having said that, if you just want a latte, I don't think it matters. However, if you want to do silky microfoam ala Flat White, that's when it gets tricky.

1. Add bubbles via air getting in just beneath surface 2. Once enough is added, keep spout further in milk to "churn"/velvetise it. 3. Keep doing that until its at the desired temp. 4. Dunt it off the counter when done to settle bubbles. 5. Pour. In before it's asked Davy sir ;)

This is it yeah! I'd just add that for microfoam, the trickiest thing is to work out how much air to put into the milk. Not that much for whole milk. To expand on step 1, I usually get the vortex going by having the spout just beneath surface, then lower the pitcher so that you start to hear a sound like tearing paper as the spout sits just on the surface. This is where the magic happens. I just do this for around 5 seconds usually and you can see the volume of milk expanding as an indicator.

Too much air and you end up with cappuccino type bubbles, which is fine if it's what your after.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hmmmm.

The frother with the Nespresso is beaker shaped - you just put the milk in and press a button. It has an agitator at the bottom which froths the milk and there a heating element in there too. It produces quite frothy milk even with semi skimmed. I don't care a jot about "art".

• Ah, fair play. Crack on with that then!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've moved on from flat whites and am now a cortado fan.
  • 1. Add bubbles via air getting in just beneath surface 2. Once enough is added, keep spout further in milk to "churn"/velvetise it. 3. Keep doing that until its at the desired temp. 4. Dunt it off the counter when done to settle bubbles. 5. Pour. In before it's asked Davy sir ;)
    This is correct.
    drumbeg wrote:
    Do you use whole milk? It's way more forgiving that semi-skimmed or oat (aka rapeseed oil) milk.
    This is also correct. A good microfoam is reliant on good fat molecules. So you want full-fat milk.
  • davyK wrote:
    hmmmm. The frother with the Nespresso is beaker shaped - you just put the milk in and press a button. It has an agitator at the bottom which froths the milk and there a heating element in there too. It produces quite frothy milk even with semi skimmed. I don't care a jot about "art".

Ah yeah, I used to have one of those Nespresso aerator things. They are handy. I heated the kids bedtime milk for years with it.
  • Also, "desired temp" for me is usually "too hot to touch + 5s of me not touching" = lovely hot but not too hot latte. Nothing I hate more from a cafe effort is one that burns the mouth off you.
  • I usually have the opposite problem. The pitcher feels hot to touch, but after finishing the drink, it's then too cool for my liking. I've started pre-heating everything. Espresso machine, portafilter, glass/cup etc.

I think it's time for a pitcher thermometer.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Wife has offered to spend £200 or so on me for my upcoming birthday.  I was thinking of an espresso machine and found the Sage Bambino for £235.  Only question is: are they a faff to maintain and clean etc?  I like minimal fuss.

I've got a Barista Express and bought a Sage Bambino for the office at work. You could get a Barista Express reconditioned from eBay if you want some added flexibility for around £250, but if you're just up for the espresso then the Bambino is decent for the money. 

When the cleaning light comes on, you'll need some of these. There'll be a plastic puck you pop in the portafilter, stick one of the tablets on it and run the machine. It'll backflush the machine. Needs doing about every 4/6 weeks.

These descaling tablets are the best I've used. I tend to do it every couple of months.
  • Sweet, thanks. Not guaranteed that I’ll get one, but good to know if I do.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Are you more interested in the how to pour the perfect shot manually and maybe experiment a little or do you just want a good brew and don't want much input?

If it's the latter, a lot of people do end up moving to a Nespresso type system as they are pretty consistent. They are cheap.
  • I actually enjoy making my filter pour-over coffee, sone downtime to make it and then have a nice cuppa.  So I'm thinking I will enjoy pulling an espresso shot, a cappuccino and experiment etc rather than put a pod in and get a coffee out.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • You may want to consider something more similar in design to a classic espresso machine.

I have the Sage Duo Temp Pro. Purely manual, you time the pour yourself. It's not on the level of a more expensive machine, but it's quite forgiving. I like how it looks too. Simple design.

https://www.sageappliances.com/uk/en/products/espresso/bes810.html
  • They are my holy grail those things. Beautiful bits of machinery.
  • I managed to buy a one group Linea PB at the last agency I worked for. Best office coffee machine ever. I really miss that thing.

Don’t think they even do the one group any more, they’ve replaced it with the Mini.

https://lamarzocco.com/uk/en/commercial-products/espresso-machines/linea-pb/
  • Had to run about daft on my break so had to grab a petrol station Costa express machine effort.

Here, these have gotten better. Definitely more tasting notes than some fancypants places have charged me more for. Really not bad at all. Won't make it a habit but if you're stuck, it will do the job nicely tbh.
  • Yeah, I use those machines on my travels a lot. Coffee is fine for what it is.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It's lightyears ahead of the "Costa" at the front door of this hospital who really just pay to use the logo and stock and run it through Serco funded machines that never ever ever ever get serviced, or cleaned probably. Some wee scheme battleaxe barking WIT YE WANTIN' and pressing a button, £4. Gotta love it.
  • Yeah, I don't recall ever being served a decent cuppa anywhere in your workplace. Overpriced bilge.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Some of the chains can make a decent coffee these days. Fresh beans delivered daily, good quality bean-to-cup machines that get serviced regularly … the systems and processes of big business can get you a better than average latte, so long as the staff clean their steam wands.

Pret used to have the best reputation for that (and their beans are roasted here in Glasgow), but I think Greggs have actually surpassed them now. Surprisingly decent coffee, and consistent too.
  • I do complain about the Costa at work but the restaurant got this in recently

f08V9lP.jpeg

Very decent for a £1.50 latte. I'll take that.
  • Egro plato, better coffee.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    IIRC when I measured about how many teaspoons in a scoop in case I ever ended up scoopless it was something like 2-3, so 5 teaspoons will be like two scoops or a bit less. I don’t think that’s a bad amount? Some of the championship Aeropress recipes use two scoops-ish, IIRC.
    Wesley. Legend. giphy.gif

I know this was ages ago but memory unlocked, top referencing.
  • I'm glad someone picked up on it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!