Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    A quick Google search has the best 4k graphics cards going for about $1200-$1600, so yeah we might get a £300 4K console box in about six years.
  • The power needed and the heat would be a problem I think. Not that I know much about it.
  • PC hardware consolefied; welcum to the future.

Could work but don't expect this to happen without encountering bumps. Implementation can be achieved in many many ways.
    There's the Steam machine way (very PC like) where a PC literally runs a consolefied OS. There's also room for an even more consolefied implementation where MS, Sony or Nintendo releases the base console and the upgrade components while remaining in complete control of released hw to ensure BC/fw compatibility.
    Will this influence stability and compatibility of Games? Probably yes, mostly depends on how well API franeworks are implemented not to mention gpu driver support.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • A 500 quid graphics card will do 4k depending on the game and what other bits and bobs you have switched on.

An upgraded system wouldn't have to mean old hardware is now redundant. In fact that seems to be the whole point.
    You have an Ps4 which plays PS4 games, the you upgrade to and Ps4. 5 which plays the same games but betterer.
    Surely this is the whole point of an upgrade. If the old stuff becomes redundant then it is just a console generation, which is the model we have now.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The current model works, I'm not interested in spunking £300-400 quid every 2/3 years, if I wanted that then there's PC gaming. Yes I'm playing sub-optimal versions as a console scrub but they play fine.

Like ya say though, if no games become exclusive to PS4.5 or whatever then there's no worries. If it goes a way where they do then gaming can happily fuck off.
  • Ah, the PC gaming upgrade myth again.
    Simply because you can upgrade doesn't mean you have to. Or even should.
    Your games will run fine on the base hardware at min settings.

For example: on PC I'm six years on an old and crusty nvidia gtm555 and 2nd gen corei7.
    Currently top nvidia tech is at gtx980 and Intel 6th gen core i7. Technically, this means my tech is like 4 generations behind the latest cutting edge releases.
    Doesn't matter to me as I can still play the latest DirectX12 releases in 720p@30fps in low/mid settings. Older games like the mass effect trilogy even run in 1080p@30+ fps with some tweaks.

Yeah, if I want 1080p back eventually I'll have to upgrade the GPU but for now it's not a biggy for me. Six years is a pretty good run for hw (PC or console) as is.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I wasn't saying you have to, I was pointing out that if you want it near or at the current higher tech level (1080p/60fps on AAA games etc) then upgrading every few years is on the cards.

Nobody has to upgrade anything, ever if they don't want to. Its fairly obvious. I could still be playing an Amstrad.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think as long as the newest games are playable on a 5/6 year old machine that's fine, but the problems going to be for casual/non gamers.  It was hard enough for my grandparents to understand I had a SNES and not to buy me megadrive games.  I can imagine it will be even more difficult to get the message across that Call of Duty 22 only plays on Xbox One.8 and PS4.7 and higher.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Unplayable without the upgrade is definitely a bad idea, but I don't think this is the plan.
  • If they do PS4S/PS4K instead of going to PS5, guaranteed that eventually there will be games "only for PS4S", as already seen on N3DS.
    Sony will probably wait to see what MS does with this hardware fresh idea, let MS bear the brunt of any bad publicity, then do exactly the same.
  • But, tbf console gamers have never really played in 1080p@60fps Max settings.
    And even if a game does run in 1080p@60fps it probably runs in Low settings. Unless it's a port of an older game.

At least now, after 5 years you can upgrade your hw? Plus there's forward an backward compatibility now. Bonus, methinks.

To be honest, there aren't many pc gamers who have the ability to upgrade every year to keep up with the latest advance in tech. Only the Super Rich who also have the tech know how would be willing to do that. Normal people tend to stick to a 3-6 year upgrade cycle.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    If they do PS4S/PS4K instead of going to PS5, guaranteed that eventually there will be games "only for PS4S", as already seen on N3DS. Sony will probably wait to see what MS does with this hardware fresh idea, let MS bear the brunt of any bad publicity, then do exactly the same.

I'm not so sure.  Sony has to be very aware that this would not go down well with those still on the original console and could mandate that devs make sure all games play on all PS4s.  Plus devs would be missing out on a hefty chunk of the user base.
    Get schwifty.
  • IMHO it would be inevitable as soon as there's a significantly more powerful SKU. Sure, at launch they'll be all like "everything will work on all versions, no one is going to be left behind and there are no second class citizens in our system!"... But a few years down the line some dev will be pushing the GPU hard and just won't bother making it backwards compat and so they'll go hat in hand to the platform holders to ask them to relax the TRCs and let them drop the old hardware, and once either Sony or MS blinks and allows it, the other will have to as well.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That's possibly true until the last sentence, there's no reason that both would have to do it if one does.
  • The phone model comparison doesn't work because a phone, regardless of tech in relation to apps, will still be able to do the main things a phone should do - call people, text people, browse the net, basic social media (facebook, twitter etc.)

A consoles main job is to play games so if at any point the console stops being able to, then it is no longer doing what its supposed to. Point being, that's not upgrading, that's just putting a different name on a consoles successor.

Also phones are generally bought as part of a line lease - if MS and Sony want to lease their consoles as part of the Live or PSN subscription that's fine, they can add in a small upgrade cost every 2 years. But generally, you don't fork out on a new phone at cost every time you upgrade.

Not bothered either way myself - I bought a fairly ok spec pc for under €500 and have that under the telly know. Wireless Keyboard and Mouse lets me use it as a superior media hub to any console and it can also stream to my surface. Gameswise, its not cutting edge, but Arkham Knight aside, I haven't been unable to play anything yet. Even recent games work at near full equivilant ps4 specs and in some case I get better results. An upgraded graphics card is going to cost me around €300 for something decent which is still cheaper than a new console. The PC has proven to be the way to game for me - a lot of the fears I had simply don't exist. No problems with fiddling about all the time, one or two games have required an extra file downloaded but if I can do it, anybody could. Throw in the back catalogue (steam has some absolute bargains) and emulation if you wish (and I do) and you have more than enough gaming to keep you busy.
    SFV - reddave360
  • They will almost always play games. Just not the newest AAA. Also there'll be a drip feed of indie games forever. Even the vita gets ps4 games.
  • djchump wrote:
    IMHO it would be inevitable as soon as there's a significantly more powerful SKU. Sure, at launch they'll be all like "everything will work on all versions, no one is going to be left behind and there are no second class citizens in our system!"... But a few years down the line some dev will be pushing the GPU hard and just won't bother making it backwards compat and so they'll go hat in hand to the platform holders to ask them to relax the TRCs and let them drop the old hardware, and once either Sony or MS blinks and allows it, the other will have to as well.

I think bc and fc will depend on the gfx API level the hw supports. If your hw supports the min requirements and the base gfx API, stuff should be able to run in low settings. How bearable low settings are to you at what resolution is up to the user.

For example, as long as your hw supports DirectX12/Vulkan and the game industry also supports DirectX12/Vulkan, Games should run fine on at least minimum settings. You're in trouble when the industry upgrades to DirectX13/Vulkan2 and decides you're hw isn't capable enough anymore to run the latest games. That's when people will be forced to upgrade their base hw to the latest API standards.

Edit: now with example.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Call of Duty 22 only plays on Xbox One.8 and PS4.7 and higher.

This would be great, one installer does multiple platforms, game sets its config itself based on hardware. I mean, it's where we are heading. I hope
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Unless you're on Xbox One.7 or PS4.6 of course.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Indeed- But I just mean one install for everything, number agnostic, just works on these consoles which are fundamentally PCs, and on PCs. I mean it's what PC users have had for ages, so why not? You just have to look at the UX and deliver a friendlier, more intuitive console to the hardware for users and provide devs a nice schema for identifying hardware and preempting settings. Valve are doing it with SteamOS, why not OneOS and PSOS...heck, why can't I install linux on One, or just straight up Win10? Why can't I install OneOS on my laptop or desktop?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I don't think this will be too much of a problem.  MGSV looks decent on PS3 and I've read the 360 still does a good job with the latest Tomb Raider.  As long as frame rates are solid on the non-upgrade versions I'd imagine they'll look plenty good enough for me for the next five years.  If the market is there to make money on console upgrades that basically turn the sliders up it's no skin off my nose, assuming I can still play new releases on my PS4.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    It all comes down to the price of the upgrade really. £50-100 every few years to get shinier shinies doesn't seem that terrible

Until you're hit with 30-fps tax to fund the bankers' 60. Or you make the enhanced games better-looking, but as Roujin said, that's no small measure of optimisation. It also sets a trap, because the lowered level of requisite opto for the upgrade'd invite lazy efforts.

It seems impossible to avoid a situation where games either aren't much of an upgrade, or they take even longer to make. Staggered releases are an option.
  • Where did the 32X or N64 ram expansion fit in to this?

Doesn't history suggest this isn't a great idea?

Enhancement chips like the Super FX were the most successful.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Retro beat me there but this is the reason why not

Mega-Drive-Mega-CD-32X-combo-1041428.jpg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Things like super fx could be added to cartridges because they were essentially hardware. You can't put a chip on a DVD/bluray or have it delivered digitally
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I think kinect and ps move tried to be mid gen upgrades.
  • Where did the 32X or N64 ram expansion fit in to this?

Doesn't history suggest this isn't a great idea?

Enhancement chips like the Super FX were the most successful.
    The N64 ram pack worked out alright iirc. It was relatively cheap and also came bundled with DK64.
    I'm not sure many games required it but a lot of the later ones could use it.
  • I'm sure in the other thread we wet with DK, Majoras mask, and effectively Perfect Dark.
  • Sounds about right.
    Turok 2 used it but I don't think it required it.
    Where is reg when you need him?
  • I'm sure in the other thread we wet with DK, Majoras mask, and effectively Perfect Dark.

Yeah that's right. They're the only three that required it but there was a lot that utilised it for frame rate or resolution improvements.

At £30 or £60 with DK64 (at a time when N64 games were £50) it was relatively cheap.

I'm not sure how these PS4/XOne.5s are gonna work but if it means another £300 just to play exclusive games then isn't that more the 32X route?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!