Upgradable Consoles
  • My Amiga 500+ upgraded to 1mb of ram shits all over your poverty current gen.
  • I've argued for a set, mid-cycle, console upgrade for years. Springing it on people isn't ideal. What I would want is an upgrade slot there on day one and a clear communication of what it's for and when it's likely to come out.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • The wii was the very definition of a point five no?

Played all gcn games and the lightly uprezzed to edtv games exclusive to the system.
  • I wouldn't call that a point-five. From the size of the CPU/GPU upgrade it's in the ballpark but everything else puts it in the new console with backwards compatibility category,
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But crucially gamecube couldn't play Wii games. That stops it being a .5 Shirley?
  • That would rule it out of what I think a point-five should be, but the GBC, DSi and 3DS EX plus Alpha have had exclusive games.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ah bit they were .6s
  • I'm fine with a PS5.
    NLbJZkL.gif

I never knew it but I was waiting for this post all my life.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • For me, it's gonna be fun watching it shake out: MS seem to have most cards out on the table, they want UWP (which, given the state of Gears Ultimate, is a disaster right now and could go the way of GFWL), are being outperformed by PS4 in both sales and games performance, and don't have a VR headset which seems to be the upcoming big bandwagon/bubble (maybe they got so burned pushing Kinect that they didn't want a repeat?). 
    [as an aside, yeah, Steam was a terrible state when it launched so, benefit of the doubt, MS can keep pushing with UWP and their store to improve it - but IMHO Steam's carrot of HL2 was a better carrot than Gears Ultimate, and I have more faith in Valve to double-down and commit to keep improving a system than I do in MS, because of Zune, GFWL and all the other initiatives that they've tried and let wither for 4 or 5 years if it wasn't an instant success]

But if either Sony or MS go down either a S/X/.5 or push an early new-gen, there's a risk of pissing off their existing fanbase and whoever goes first will bear the brunt of any PR backlash - allowing the follower to gauge the market and quickly adjust their plans - which seems to be what the start of this gen was; MS tries to steal thunder with grand plans, PR backlash, Sony had sat back to watch and then responds quickly with the opposite plan.

As such, I figure a shorter gen cycle is more likely than a significant S/.5 SKU - because then the easy backwards compat is an obvious value-add for the new machine, games can be sold as "Special bonus double-pack works on both PS4 & PS5!" as a value add for that game and a softer transition for punters to the new gen until the install base for the new machine is large enough and the games power-hungry enough that the old gen compat can be quietly dropped. But this gen will still have to be long enough not to burn the early adopters and with the huge install bases already out there, you can't just drop them.
    There'll still be the usual hardware refreshes - Slim version, box redesign, special pack with builtin large HDD for DVR etc. - and maybe even a PS4 with updated HDMI to support 4K bluray - but not anything significantly more powerful with the generation that'll split the userbase.
  • I wonder if any of this has to do with hitting Nintendo whilst they're down.

The state Nintendo are in a PS4/XOne.5 will be much more appealing to most than a new Nintendo console.

Might be a good way for MS and Sony to close the door on Nintendo for good?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I don't think you could ever close the door on Nintendo TBH - they're playing a different game. Sony tried with Vita but that's basically dead now. N3DS has legs, and Pokemon and Monster Hunter are still juggernauts.
  • Nintendo will never die and once the unholy fusion between their handheld and home console business is sealed, sky's the limit.  It will expand their base console userbase no end.

MS and Sony are no doubt monitoring how Valve' s Steammachines are doing. Depending on that outcome they"ll likely decide on a definitive upgrade strategy.
    Hint: it won't be as open/anything goes as current PC/steammachine standards. I do expect things like upgradable ramslots and perhaps even a gpu slot . Switchable CPU? Doubtful but you never know.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • For the love of fuck please bring The Last Guardian out on the .0
  • The last Guardian will be VR obviously.
  • NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • It'll only ever be a virtual(ly at the point of) release he means.
  • I wonder how publishers would feel about this as it effectively just fragments the market. They might be able to develop the same game so that it knows it can play on either version of a console but it stlll means you could be making a more cost intensive game that only 20% of the console population will access. Maybe they have all the assets already for the PC versions but given how games like arkham knight turned out that might not be a good indicator.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I wouldn't look at Arkham Knight as anything but an anomaly. All the other Arkham titles were fine and WB released Mad Max soon after that was absolutely fine.
    A third party did a shit job for whatever reason, be it incompetence or lack of budget who knows but I wouldn't worry about that happening often.
  • Im not sure I can see upgrades on consoles working. Fragmenting the player base is not a good idea. Only way I can see it working is if the games are scalable.Like if much higher resolution textures/models etc are available and the console can output at a higher resolution.
    As a consumer though it doesnt make much sense unless ALL games released are upgrade compatible. And even then it would need to be a significant boost in order for me to consider buying more hardware. And it might be dependent on me owning a 4K tv already. So for now nah.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Price is certainly going to be an issue.
    A 4k gpu upgrade would realistically cost upwards of 500 quid if released tomorrow.

Consumers won't pay that for an entire console let alone an upgrade.

If it is less than a 4k upgrade I start to wonder if it is meatier enough to even bother with at all.

Sony got the VR headset price right by keeping it no more than the cost of a console (even though in reality it is more with add-ons).

Does the Ps4 have any form of upgrade port on it? All I can see on the Xbox One that could be used are the USB and/or Kinect ports.
  • I'm guessing this will just be a PS4 Slim type model, but with the ability to output 4K media like films, because Sony would love to sell you a new telly. Doubt it'll have anything to do with making games look better.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 4K for media does make the most sense of the available options, but it seems strange to go to the bother. 4k TV's are inevitable anyway and Sony aren't going to get back to being top dogs in the TV market. The discs are never going to be more than a niche.

MS don't even have those reasons for bringing this up.
  • Hah, who would've thunk; consoles in a (bi) annual update cycle a la ipad.
    Awesome. I'll take the pc upgrade model tyvm.

Reasons why consoles become upgradable:
    1. FC/BC make incremental upgrades possible without breaking your games collection.
    2. To keep up with new developments (4K VRRRRRRR!)
    3. Milking the userbase with yearly incremental updates can prove very lucrative. (OCD Collectors collective: I finally have all console releases of the PS4 including Gold Special Editions!)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I think option 2's most likely.  Sony won't want MS to grab the graphical upper hand.
    Get schwifty.
  • i really hope 4k dies much like 3D TV.

it might just make me seem like a grumpy old 'what we've got is good enough' type, hell i prob didn't think we needed DVD when we had VHS....but all the stuff i've read on 4K just makes it seem pointless...the combination of screen size and viewing distance required for your eyes to appreciate the increase just makes it seem utterly pointless.
    then from a gaming point of view, considering the huge increase in performance required to do 4K properly, then i'd much prefer they stuck with 1080P and used any extra horsepower for better framerate/ai/lighting/stuff etc...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I thought the same when hdtv came out, and bluray, but they are a massive improvement on what we had previously.
  • I like to think it's just an "Elite" console for 4K nerds and that's it. Already had people in work asking where our 4K section is, and getting pissy when I tell them we don't have a dedicated A-Z (official UK launch of 4K movies is later this month though, only small selection). So the market is there.
  • i really hope 4k dies much like 3D TV. it might just make me seem like a grumpy old 'what we've got is good enough' type, hell i prob didn't think we needed DVD when we had VHS....but all the stuff i've read on 4K just makes it seem pointless...the combination of screen size and viewing distance required for your eyes to appreciate the increase just makes it seem utterly pointless. then from a gaming point of view, considering the huge increase in performance required to do 4K properly, then i'd much prefer they stuck with 1080P and used any extra horsepower for better framerate/ai/lighting/stuff etc...
    Go and look at some 4k TVs. You don't need to be close to a huge one to tell.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!