Upgradable Consoles
  • So, working on the assumption that they're bringing some new base hardware out this christmas, to help with the extra strain put on it by VR, would you rather it was PS4.5 or PS5?
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Are they getting all they can out of the existing hardware?  Are currently titles pushing consoles to their limits?  Surely there's  more under the hud of the existing machines, untapped potential waiting to be used by the right developer.  As nice as The Division sometimes looks, it's not the jaw dropping visual feast we were promised.  Concentrate on unlocking the power of the current gen.  We don't  want (or need) a 0.5 'revolution'.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Monkey and Rambo sounds like a series I would watch.

Stop! Or My Monkey Will Shoot

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Ah wait I've remembered.

In this lifecycle, or the next?
  • They're not getting everything out of the new hardware but you're not going to get the full "wow" from a 2.5 year old console.

With that in mind, would you rather Sony released a PS5 or a PS4.5 at the end of the year?
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    So, working on the assumption that they're bringing some new base hardware out this christmas, to help with the extra strain put on it by VR, would you rather it was PS4.5 or PS5?
    Something this Christmas seems unrealistic to me. Announce at E3 launch the same year would be insanely fast for the company leading the current gen and away to launch a VR headset that all reports say works fine.

PS4.5 called a PS5 when the PS5 is due. They might think that's sooner than usual if VR really takes off insanely well and there's casual demand for TV box that does it better than the PS4.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Bloodborne @ 60fps

1454159952983_zpspajz1wxs.png
  • It'd probably still have the frame-pacing bug though. Which'd spoil things, slightly.
  • Escape wrote:
    Monkey and Rambo sounds like a series I would watch.
    Stop! Or My Monkey Will Shoot

Congo and Tash.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    ROP Land
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    So, working on the assumption that they're bringing some new base hardware out this christmas, to help with the extra strain put on it by VR, would you rather it was PS4.5 or PS5?

Neither, since both are terrible ideas.

That's why they put the hardware in the vr.
  • So, working on the assumption that they're bringing some new base hardware out this christmas, to help with the extra strain put on it by VR, and the only other option was the total annihilation of earth, would you rather it was PS4.5 or PS5?
  • There isn't only the option of a PS4.5 or a PS5 though. Sony have the perfectly sound business decision option of just continuing to market the PS4 this coming Christmas, and selling millions more consoles, and games off the back of them.
  • So, hypothetically, if we knew for sure Sony were bringing some new base hardware out this christmas, for any list of reasons you or anyone else would like, and the only other option was the total annihilation of earth, would you rather it was PS4.5 or PS5?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I do feel that this generation will be shorter than previous ones. Both boxes were built very similarly to PCs after so many studios complained about not being able to fully utilise the cell chip

It is much easier to tap the full potential of these consoles ergo plato current titles are probably pushing the draw distances, frame rates and sprite counts much closer to the maximum than at this point in the previous generation

However this Christmas/Thanksgiving is far too early for the market to stand
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I just want some fucking games.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I think Ham has managed to quadruple post but spread over the last four hours
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    So, hypothetically, if we knew for sure Sony were bringing some new base hardware out this christmas, for any list of reasons you or anyone else would like, and the only other option was the total annihilation of earth, would you rather it was PS4.5 or PS5?

In reality, they won't, so it's not a choice that will need to be made.
  • Answer the man so we can end this!
  • The answer is, as it shall remain until the PS4 has been out a couple more years, neither because both are stupid options.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    We already suspected Dante wanted in to politics.

This is the confirmation.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I don't have my Sony alt anymore so I can't give him an answer
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    We already suspected Dante wanted in to politics. This is the confirmation.

Let me be clear.

You can release a daft add on for sure. A dance mat here, a double microphone there, a light up dildo everywhere. You can even strap a 50 inch TV to peoples faces and pretend the 80's are back.

But you never point five.
  • adkm
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @adkm1979
    Xbox
    adkm1979
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    adkm1979

Send message
    I do hope you realise you're vociferously laying into unconfirmed guesstimations, and defining arbitrary degrees of acceptability based entirely on what is, in all likelihood, a '.5' moniker invented by the sources of said unverified intelligence. The fact that Kotaku couldn't confirm whether '.5' originated with Sony or the source tells us a lot about Kotaku's relationship with the source.
  • Nintendo have pointfived with three of the most successful dedicated gaming devices of all taam.

OF ALL TAAM!

the-best-kanye-west-memes-of-alltime-u1.jpg
  • That TAAM is in the past tho. Big N's future is in making dolls that just happen to feature in games & selling vast quantities of Peach and Mario underwear to perverts from vending machines in Japan + beyond, thanks to the implicit anonymity of e-commerce.
  • The only one of which I've owned was a GBC, which I bought approximately 15 years after the fact for £2.97. And they're all handhelds.
  • Admittedly, it's only worked for handhelds so far and handhelds are a subtly different market, but I'd say the concept is point-five proved.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!