@adkm1979
    Xbox
    adkm1979
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    adkm1979

Send message
    Wikipedia says you're pretty much right. Looks like Perfect Dark would work without it, but with 'limited options'.
  • I guess the only successful HW .5 was the Game Boy Color.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I guess the only successful HW .5 was the Game Boy Color.
    DS Lite and DSi but they weren't so much. 5 as. 1 and. 2
    Although the DS Lite didn't have exclusive games and the DSi only handful of garbage ones.
  • adkm wrote:
    Wikipedia says you're pretty much right. Looks like Perfect Dark would work without it, but with 'limited options'.

I think without it you had a multiplayer demo.
  • adkm
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @adkm1979
    Xbox
    adkm1979
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    adkm1979

Send message
    DS Lite and DSi but they weren't so much. 5 as. 1 and. 2
    Pretty much the equivalent of the slimmer versions of home consoles we tend to get, which also include minor hardware tweaks (lower power consumption, bigger hard drive etc).  I wouldn't be surprised if these .5 editions are little more than the now traditional hardware revision, with maybe the ability to watch 4k movies. Sony might also opt to squeeze in the VR processing unit, to make it a more attractive proposition.  Unlikely, but a possibility.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've always wondered if Perfect Dark's framerate was any better without the Pak, since it enabled high-res textures?
  • Escape wrote:
    I've always wondered if Perfect Dark's framerate was any better without the Pak, since it enabled high-res textures?

It was effectively unplayable without the pak.

From what I remember it was just the multiplayer with bots that was playable.

You are right though, some games frame rates were hit because of the bump in resolution. That's why developers started using it to improves frame rates instead. Some games even gave you the choice.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Wasn't Banjo-Tooie expansion pack only?
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Wasn't Banjo-Tooie expansion pack only?

Doesn't even support it according to Andy's link.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You are right though, some games frame rates were hit because of the bump in resolution. That's why developers started using it to improves frame rates instead. Some games even gave you the choice.

Did increased resolution bump the N64 up to standard def?
  • They aren't going for the PC route. They're going for the tablet route which is fraught with dangerous pitfalls.

iOS in particular has had numerous revisions since the iPad/2/3/New/Mini and iPhone revisions and the old software often fails to work on the new hardware/firmware. Ostensibly a revision cycle model of console hardware is argued as being beneficial in order to build a critical mass of end users who happily empty their wallets for new software, season passes, in-game consumables gambling currency and subscriptions. That's the publisher mindset. The creative mindset is neither hampered nor hindered by whether there is new hardware or not, but their resources in being able to address compatibility issues are.

Then there is the historical fact that late-gen software seems to stagnate with few exceptions (though some of those exceptions are indeed exceptional). If you're going to go the revision model, just become a steam box sub licensee and put your own shopfront in there. Otherwise there is no reason for the customer to not go PC anyway.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • This could be done sensibly.

All games work on all machines.
    No extra in-game features (knock youself out with a 360 photoviewer and improved clips editor).
    Framerate and resolution get a bump.

Look at it the same way as 1tb versions of the console. It's more about maintaining a higher pricepoint.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • i can't see the end result of this being anything other than increasing the cost for gamers.

while there's the potential for a utopian arrangement where the .5 console offers nice improvements to those just buying the console new without any detrimental effect on the games for existing owners of the 'base' version, i don't see it happening.

developers/publishers aren't going to want to put in the extra time and effort to fully optimise two different versions of the same game without increasing the costs.
    MS and Sony will be too caught up in using the upgrades to make their machine 'best' to then force developers to prioritise the base version...especially as if the upgrade doesn't show enough difference over the original then there'll be a backlash over the costs of the newer console...they won't just want 'new' customers to buy the newer version, they'll want a reason for existing customers to upgrade too.
    it's not just a case of going "well, we'll turn the cpu up by 20% and that will automatically make all those 720p games run at 1080p".
    if they don't insist on parity for something like framerate between the different systems then you immediately open up a difference in gameplay quality, and then you have possible issues with online play between v1 and v1.5 owners...  

i know it's kind of just semantics/perspective, but for me they'd be better off just bringing out a full 'next gen' console (and make it fully backwards compatible), rather than a halfway house  that i think would just irritate and confuse people.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Monkey and Rambo are making a lot of sense to me in here.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Monkey and Rambo sounds like a series I would watch.
    Get schwifty.
  • ..for me they'd be better off just bringing out a full 'next gen' console (and make it fully backwards compatible), rather than a halfway house  that i think would just irritate and confuse people.
    A new console that was backwards compatible, with the old one not being forwards compatible, would definitely irritate and confuse more people.
  • Turns out all these upgrades are purely cosmetic.
    Xbox One Horse armour and Recon Helmet coming holiday 2016
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    ..for me they'd be better off just bringing out a full 'next gen' console (and make it fully backwards compatible), rather than a halfway house  that i think would just irritate and confuse people.
    A new console that was backwards compatible, with the old one not being forwards compatible, would definitely irritate and confuse more people.

Didn't hurt the PS2 to be fair.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've no idea what Ham is on about there to be fair.
  • A new console, at this point in the life cycle, that has games that loyal early-adopting customers cannot play on the machine they paid for, will definitely cause more irritation.

Machines being backwards compatible, but old consoles not being forwards compatible, is well established but far from universally understood. The most recent time I was asked about x1 games playing on 360, and 360 games playing on x1, was this week. The time before that was the week before.

A machine that does all the things the last machine does, but slightly better, will irritate virtually nobody and only confuse the people that would be confused at any upgrade.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It will irritate plenty of people (see this thread), but far fewer than a whole new console
  • Yeah, I don't think Ram was talking about this point in the lifecycle, I think he was just saying the next one should just play the old games from the off, rather than introducing this hybrid guff.
  • Yeah, I could've worded that better. It would irritate virtually nobody that wouldn't be irritated more by a PS5, and it wouldn't confuse anybody that wouldn't be confused by a PS5, and the potential harm from any confusion would be smaller.

@Dants fair enough.
  • I'm fine with a PS5. I'm not fine with a PS4.5
  • Working on the assumption that they're bringing something out this christmas, would you rather it was 4.5 or 5?
  • I'm fine with a PS5.

NLbJZkL.gif
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm fine with a PS5. I'm not fine with a PS4.5

But why? What's the difference that worries you? Timelines or compatibility?
  • Meh, Xbox will obviously follow an upgrade path similar to PC. The X in Xbox stands for DirectX afterall....How the hardware upgrades will be managed is up for debate. I'm guessing ms will choose to release and regulate all the hw and upgrades themselves, sticking closely to the concept of a modular console. In any case it'll probably be the polar oppositie to Valve's "anything goes" Steam Machine.

Why choose for the PC model? Because everything comes down to the API, in ms case DirectX. In the world of PC hardware only becomes outdated if it doesn't support the latest API anymore. So, untill DirectX13 comes along DirectX12 capable hw should be able to play the latest games at min settings at the very least no problem.

In case of a DirectX jump, If your lucky your hw gets support for the next directX as is the case for a lot of DX11 hw. In that case your hardware won't be obsolete in transition to "next gen".

I'm guessing Sony will follow a similar path to ms with PS. Replace DX12 with Vulkan and you're almost there.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Working on the assumption that they're bringing something out this christmas, would you rather it was 4.5 or 5?

Neither. They are already bringing something out at Christmas, it's called PlayStation VR.

A PS5 will come along later, as Retroking articulates. A PS4.5 muddies the waters for no real benefit. The PS4 is fine as it is, and it's selling in fine enough numbers. They can bring out a slimline by all means. Don't try upgrading the actual console.
  • What is that gif from?  I plan on using it myself at some point.  Consider it earmarked.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!