Upgradable Consoles
  • So, will Game offer to run the data transfer as part of the trade-in? Probably not, which means that feature will hardly be used.
  • No, but they will probably do what they did with the 3DS where you can buy the new one and then within a set period get the trade price as cash so you can do the transfer yourself.
  • No, but they will probably do what they did with the 3DS where you can buy the new one and then within a set period get the trade price as cash so you can do the transfer yourself.

That would be very handy. I'm guessing you can transfer your ps4 details to a seperate hard drive though (not the game data but stuff like the settings files and save game stuff). Pretty certain this was a feature on ps3 for when you swapped out the hard drive.

SFV - reddave360
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I can't see these minor upgrades doing very well. If you can afford them, I think the chances are that you're a bit older with a range of other interests.
  • They don't have to do "that well" to be worthwhile if they're more often and the R&D is less, though.
  • There was an article on game central with the Sony guy (cant link, dont remember name) saying that the pro is aimed at the customer who mid way through the ps life cycle decides they want better graphics and turns to pcs. If that's the case, than I'm guessing they will be happy with a relatively low uptake.
    SFV - reddave360
  • That just sounds like a way to reduce multi console ownership.

Most would pickup a XONE after 3 years of PS4 to compliment it.

This seems to be a step towards increasing fanboyism.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message

Darling, your pixels are fabulous.

Thanks Cortana.
  • That just sounds like a way to reduce multi console ownership.

This seems to be a step towards increasing fanboyism.

Nah. If you want the diversity you'll either pick up a bone slim or if power is your thing you could wait for Scorpio - its only a year off. I dont think this is aimed at increasing fanboyism (truly the worst ism), more at keeping people in the ps eco system. Sony surely aren't too bothered if a few people get a bone as well but continue to pay for ps plus etc. Its only people who might completely change system who does would be aimed at ( and if tech is the reason than Sony are right to fear the pc - steam is a great set up, and windows 10 is now offering the likes of forza, gears 4 and killer instinct). I switched to pc and would not likely go back to a ps4. The bone, while still unlikely for me, might be under powered but the sync up with the pc account for xbox represents an interesting idea.

Not sure of the benefits to owning both at this point to be honest but that's just personal opinion.

SFV - reddave360
  • There's loads of benefits for Sony in selling new hardware. Not sure what benefit the consumer is really getting from this. Seems meagre at best.

Scorpio seems a better justification for this type of mid-cycle wallet gouging. It's a year later and seems like a genuine step up in capability. And the console they're replacing / upgrading was at least a partial misfire. I can see myself getting one of those and forgetting all about the PS4, which really hasn't grabbed me with what's it's offering at this stage.
  • What it is is a great opportunity for the platform holders to keep selling a SKU that's top dollar/launch price alongside a slim/cheaper SKU. Cake and eat it time.
  • What I've been hearing is that the real, easily perceptible improvement these things are offering is HDR.
  • RedDave2 wrote:

Nah. If you want the diversity you'll either pick up a bone slim or if power is your thing you could wait for Scorpio - its only a year off. I dont think this is aimed at increasing fanboyism (truly the worst ism), more at keeping people in the ps eco system.Sony surely aren't too bothered if a few people get a bone as well but continue to pay for ps plus etc. Its only people who might completely change system who does would be aimed at( and if tech is the reason than Sony are right to fear the pc - steam is a great set up, and windows 10 is now offering the likes of forza, gears 4 and killer instinct). I switched to pc and would not likely go back to a ps4. The bone, while still unlikely for me, might be under powered but the sync up with the pc account for xbox represents an interesting idea.

That's what I mean my fanboyism though, it's reducing the risk of a Sony fan picking up a rival console.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • AJ wrote:
    What I've been hearing is that the real, easily perceptible improvement these things are offering is HDR.
    Apparently PS4 firmware just got updated with HDR - so all PS4s now do HDR and you don't need a new model for that (?)
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    What I've been hearing is that the real, easily perceptible improvement these things are offering is HDR.
    Apparently PS4 firmware just got updated with HDR - so all PS4s now do HDR and you don't need a new model for that (?)

PS4 Pro will also be able to run games with a 4K resolution and HDR, while the PS4 Slim and regular PS4 will only be able to run games at 1080p with Hodor.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    It was Mr Sony, Andrew House indeed saying in the Guardian I believe that they are seeing the Pro as an attempt to stop the graphics whores going to PC in the mid gen cycle.
    The only issue I see with the Scorpio and Pro going out of sync a bit is that by the time the Scorpio launches there's a chance that in about a year or so there'll be a PS super Pro or PS5 launching/deep in the rumour mill.

It could mean that the two camps kind of keep their own identity I guess? Hey ho.. The world
    keeps spinning
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I find it hard to believe that a doubling of resolution makes no perceptible difference, depending on your setup, obvs.
  • djchump wrote:
    PS4 Pro will also be able to run games with a 4K resolution and HDR, while the PS4 Slim and regular PS4 will only be able to run games at 1080p with Hodor.
    Yes, I know, but AJ specifically mentioned only HoDoR, so if hOdOr is all he's interested in, then I was pointing out that it is available on the old hardware and isn't a defining characteristic of the new hardware, capiche?
  • I would be happy with a 1080p set with HDR; I can't make out the aliasing on my TV as it is. Not sure they'll do them, though.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Yes, I know, but AJ specifically mentioned only HoDoR, so if hOdOr is all he's interested in, then I was pointing out that it is available on the old hardware and isn't a defining characteristic of the new hardware, capiche?

Regarding video, the situation is different. Only the PS4 Pro will support video in a 4K resolution, while the Slim and the original will stay at 1080p...

• Of course, but that's not what AJ or me are talking about.
  • isanbard wrote:
    It was Mr Sony, Andrew House indeed saying in the Guardian I believe that they are seeing the Pro as an attempt to stop the graphics whores going to PC in the mid gen cycle.
    The only issue I see with the Scorpio and Pro going out of sync a bit is that by the time the Scorpio launches there's a chance that in about a year or so there'll be a PS super Pro or PS5 launching/deep in the rumour mill.

It could mean that the two camps kind of keep their own identity I guess? Hey ho.. The world
    keeps spinning
    This is coming from Sony and I don't believe a word of it. They don't give a shit if one of their exclusive games is coming out on the PC. It's not a market that troubles them. Unless they think that might change with MS PC cross play shenanigans, but that would be a change of approach from them.

I don't think they've ever been troubled before by loads of people migrating mid-cycle to the PC.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    DJ, You are saying the PS4 is being updated to HDR, so am I.  I am saying it's HDR for scrubs.
  • You are saying the PS4 is being updated to HDR, so am I.  I am saying it's HDR for scrubs.
    Is the xbone getting updated?
  • Can you get a TV without 4K and with HDR?

It all seems a bit confusing and I'm not sure if that's because I'm less interested or because MS and Sony want it that way.
  • HDR and 4K/UHD all seems to be in that "HD Ready" v "Full HD" stage - doesn't seem to have settled to a standard yet (HDR especially AFAIK).
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    You are saying the PS4 is being updated to HDR, so am I.  I am saying it's HDR for scrubs.
    Is the xbone getting updated?

Maybe they will - 1080p HDR itself isn’t something that requires a great deal of processing power, but a compatible display.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    My phone is HDR, I recently discovered.

I mean I've always enjoyed the brightness of the "1 new" yellow on the B&B forum, but thought it was my imagination - but now I know it's that I've got a next-gen-ready phone.  Can I stream to it from my PS4 in HDR though, that's the big question here...
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    My phone is HDR, I recently discovered. I mean I've always enjoyed the brightness of the "1 new" yellow on the B&B forum, but thought it was my imagination - but now I know it's that I've got a next-gen-ready phone.  Can I stream to it from my PS4 in HDR though, that's the big question here...

Yellow?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!