#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    That was my thinking, chump. I don't expect it to be any less than £450. I actually expect £500 and for it to be marketed as premium item.
    Get schwifty.
  • The real question is will pirated films etc look better or worse on these TVs?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    720p looks dandy on mine, though 4K HDR brings a grin to my little face.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Interesting read from Eurogamer but they need to copy proof that article. Tonnes of grammatical and spelling issues.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-21-microsoft-on-project-scorpio-ps4-pro-marketing-and-xbox-tweets
  • They always have loads, it's like reading The Guardian.
  • They always have loads, it's like reading The Guardian.

I laughed.
  • They don't call it the Gruniad for nothing.

On Scorpio pricing, the specs sound premium as fuck right now but isn't it still a year away? It won't be so fancy by then. Also, it's getting close to the time people start thinking about gen9.

Also, can we get on calling it gen9? I can't do another next-gen/currnet-gen/last-gen "you mean 'this-gen' next-gen, or the 'next-gen' next-gen?"
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I think, as mentioned in the Wii U thread, gens are pretty much out now. Games will even more incrementally advance. Certainly visually, I think we will just keep creeping up until we get to the point the human eye can't distinguish jaggies/frame rates etc.

The real next gen stuff surely has to come about in the scale/complexity of game systems.
  • I think we'll eventually get to a mobile phone/PC style of upgrading but I'm still confident there'll be a machine called the Playstation 5. Gen9 will happen and it should be called gen9. Gen8 will always be remembered as the on where shit went weird. When we're in gen9 we should definitely not call the weird gen "last-gen".
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'm not sure about the Gen9 thing.

I'm thinking we go for reboots all around.

MS release The Xbox

Sony release Play Station

Nintendo release The Family Computer

That'll work and we can forget about everything that came before.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I can't see a gen9 happening, as hinted at in the article posted above.
    Albert Penello: I don't think so. It's mostly because the environment is different. If you think of PS4 Pro and Scorpio as like PS5 and Xbox 2, then that might apply. But in this work of continuity of games and users and accessories, the whole landscape changes. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Anybody who buys an Xbox One today, they already are buying Scorpio games. There are already games that will look better and games that will be in 4K. So they're already invested in Scorpio. All their accessories work, and their account carries over, and it's going to be seamless.

It's just a different phenomenon than the historical console generational shifts, where you have to get out early or pick your spec. It's just a different environment. We'll see how it plays.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Actually a good point there in the article is where he points out accessories. Nintendo have a better track record than Sony or MS for allowing old controllers to work on newer machines. I hope this is something we see more of. Though obviously the cuntpad can't last a month before needing replacing.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think the main reason they'll be a Playstation 5 is marketing - where do you turn after Pro, Super Pro? Uber Pro Pro?

It also provides a back compatibility delimiter of sorts (PS5 games work on PS4P, but not PS4OG). And matches the Apple model, fwiw.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I can't see Xbox going that route ref backward compatibility though. I think they want to tie people into their ecosystem in a similar fashion to steam, allowing them to build up a huge catalogue of software over the years, with the added benefit of cross platform play.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's worth mentioning that the Bone has been running games in a virtual machine from day one. It was built with future back compatibility in mind.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I'm thinking we go for reboots all around

That sounds great until I realise that I'm the idiot that will buy a 3DO and a Jaguar again, then not even keep them long enough to make a return on them
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I think the main reason they'll be a Playstation 5 is marketing - where do you turn after Pro, Super Pro? Uber Pro Pro?

Ultra Virtua MoPro Turbo Allstar
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Also, they make a fuckton of money and generate a lot of visibility by having a new console out. If you slip into the realms of annual or biannual spec bumps, it's harder to grab people's attention, expand your customer base and all the rest.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    I'm thinking we go for reboots all around
    That sounds great until I realise that I'm the idiot that will buy a 3DO and a Jaguar again, then not even keep them long enough to make a return on them

:-D
  • monkey wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Also, they make a fuckton of money and generate a lot of visibility by having a new console out. If you slip into the realms of annual or biannual spec bumps, it's harder to grab people's attention, expand your customer base and all the rest.
    Yeah, the current line is "why buy a PS4P when you can wait a year and buy Scorpio?" - and a month before Scorpio launch Sony will trot out "why buy Scorpio because in a years time we're launching PS5?"
    In that respect, where before I thought xbone++ being called "Scorpio" was a bit of a branding misstep, it makes more sense as it can be currently touted as "part of the Xbox family", but can be used as a standalone "post-generational" platform name. So possibly PS5 will avoid number and be called some kind of code name as well... mayber.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Is Scorpio the final launch name?
  • The trouble with upgradable is it doesn't really advance mass innovation. Yes they'll all bring VR at some point but what about things like new gamepads? Alright, so the PS4 doesn't really use the swipe pad thing much but it at least everyone has got one if a developer decided to do something cool with it. 

It seems now that Nintendo can innovate in future consoles in a way that PS and Xbox are going to struggle to do because they'll fragment the user base. N64 came with an analogue stick which all developers can work with and was then adopted by everyone else on future consoles. Leaps like this are going to take ages with the upgradable model in place.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Is Scorpio the final launch name?
    Oh, good point, it might not be. It's what they've referred to it as in all interviews etc, but maybe it was always as "Project Scorpio" and I didn't notice. I've not seen any adverts or promo spots calling it Scorpio yet, but I've not been paying attention.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I may go back and watch the keynote. I don't really know much about it except it flops more than the PS4 Pro.
  • Maybe they'll go with Xbox 6TFlops, then PS7TFlops, then Xbox 8TFlops.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    They should've made it 7.2 Tflops then they could've legitimately called it the Xbox 720 we've always wanted.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I hope they pick another name, because I can't think of anything other than this monstrosity

motoring-graphics-2_842461a.jpg
  • I was wondering why the name had such a negative association. I'd literally blanked those cars from my mind completely, but remembered the Granada.

I'm sure it's a code name as well, doesn't sound like a console at all.
  • I_R wrote:
    I'm sure it's a code name as well, doesn't sound like a console at all.

To be fair, remember "Wii"?  And for that matter "Xbox"?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!